Does Allardyce really think....

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:52 am

It might be a big arrogant but is any of it untrue? I actually thought he was trying in his own unique way to be slightly complimentary.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:02 am

FD wrote:It might be a big arrogant but is any of it untrue? I actually thought he was trying in his own unique way to be slightly complimentary.
I'm not sure whether its true or not is relevant is it?

All he needed to say was "Time will tell" or something along the lines of Megson rebuilding and needing to make sure he has a solid foundation.

Its the arrogance that annoys me, especially when its classless arrogance.

I think Sam was a great manager for us and would defend him were he still here but as he has nowt to do with us anymore he just annoys me almost (but not quite as much) as Wenger and Benitez!

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:All he needed to say was "Time will tell" or something along the lines of Megson rebuilding and needing to make sure he has a solid foundation.
For me, thats kinda what he did say... :?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:33 am

FD wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:All he needed to say was "Time will tell" or something along the lines of Megson rebuilding and needing to make sure he has a solid foundation.
For me, thats kinda what he did say... :?
No he didn't. He used the question as a chance to big himself up!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:42 pm

Not for the first time recentley BWFCI I'm with you

Can't stand people bigging themselves up, not exactly modest is he.

Hope he gets the Sunderland job and experiences relegation.......

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 pm

I wish Allardyce no ill will. He was good whilst he was here, he's gone. I wish him luck in whatever he does, but I hope Sunderland finish just behind us, giving us 6 points each season.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:48 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I wish Allardyce no ill will. He was good whilst he was here, he's gone. I wish him luck in whatever he does, but I hope Sunderland finish just behind us, giving us 6 points each season.
Not if they finish nineteenth or twentieth I hope, LK.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:39 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... mierleague

A good take on the Big Sam for Sunderland 'affair'

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:01 pm

ratbert wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... mierleague

A good take on the Big Sam for Sunderland 'affair'
As ever, I just love the comments at the end of the piece. Here's a good one....
CollateralCustard wrote:Two words - Kevin Davies.
Allardyce should be locked up.
Last edited by CrazyHorse on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Businesswoman of the year.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:26 pm

That article is utter b*llox. It describes Allardyce as an old-fashined manager. He's many unedifying things, but to describe him in any way shape or form as a luddite is just poor journalism.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:37 pm

I can't understand why most commentators assume Allardyce is the best man to save Sunderland from relegation.

His MO is to take a huge backroom staff and make the players in part accoutable to some of those staff, and play direct football with an emphasis on defence and nullifying the opposition. That would be a huge change. The one time he has tried to implement this quickly on a new club was Newcastle, where he had the whole close season to do it, and it apparently still failed, with the players seeming not to buy into it.

Why then could he implement this within days at Sunderland, who have a team committed to a passing game, and get them winning games straight away? If anything the way to use Allardyce is to forego the dependency on short term success and rely that he will build a club in the long term that can challenge towards the top of the game. Personally though I think he has only the had the passion to do this here, when he was building his reputation and his personal wealth was on the line. His day has gone IMO - he should have accepted his lot here and tried to build on it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:01 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:That article is utter b*llox. It describes Allardyce as an old-fashined manager. He's many unedifying things, but to describe him in any way shape or form as a luddite is just poor journalism.
I think it means more in terms of the "style" of football he is perceived to play!