Hull - everyone's "second club"

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Hull - everyone's "second club"

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:36 am

It's fair to say that Hull City were promoted and were seen as fodder for the other clubs. A sure fire 4 point haul, if not all 6, could be expected. They were severely out of their depth and, while no-one wished them any harm, it was going to be a one-season wonder.

At Bolton we had a special interest. Brownie in charge and a few our "ours" had helped them get up there. So long as they lost to us and ended the eason beneath us ... well, all the best to them. At least they're Northern !

Then the season began and they were off like rockets. They dared to play the big teams without fear. They took the game to their opponents. They were exciting. Dammit, they were good. Why hadn't WE signed Giovanni ? Where had all these other players come from ?

After 9 games they were a clear 3rd, with 20 points and that included a 0-5 defeat to Wigan !! They then lost 3 on the bounce but their start had been so good they were still top 6. Now a further 8 games on and only 7 more points. In some they've had close 1-0 losses ... few as close as the one to us. In others, they've shipped cart-loads.

Still 7th, but they are now in sight of that weird pack, including ourselves, who all sit within about 6 points of each other. Now they need to steady the ship before the marauding pack behind them swallow them up. They will slip further and into the bottom half, maybe even being hauled into the real relegation dog-fight.

I suspect the excellent early start was good enough to keep them afloat this year, but it'll be close. If the team spirit breaks Brownie could yet come under personal pressure.

"Tiger, tiger, burning bright ... ", but can they stop their slide in time ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:41 am

And long as they (and two others) finish below us I wish them all the luck in the world. I still revel in the slim chance of West Ham, Newcastle and Spurs forming the bottom three at the end of the season.

Sky would have to totally rewrite the script.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:49 am

I'd love to be in a slide like theirs. It'll be a few weeks before we see 27 points.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:38 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I'd love to be in a slide like theirs. It'll be a few weeks before we see 27 points.
we are in that slide already. two easy league games to come n all.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:02 pm

Yeah I think they've got enough on the board to get 15 points from the last 18 games. There's enough average sides in this league who Hull can beat to get those points I reckon.

They were only our 'second side' on day 1 until they started winning.

They'll need investment in the Summer though and being promoted without any debts I imagine they'll be able to spend a bit of TV money.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:50 pm

I'd be concerned about their form if I was a Hull fan to be honest. There are 3 relegation spots up for grabs now, WBA won a couple recently and back into it.

The potential is there though if they survive, spend some case and they will continue to sell out the KC week in, week out no danger.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:13 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:And long as they (and two others) finish below us I wish them all the luck in the world. I still revel in the slim chance of West Ham, Newcastle and Spurs forming the bottom three at the end of the season.

Sky would have to totally rewrite the script.
You not the only one dreaming Zulus! I've got me a back-up of the Dingles too if all three mentioned above cant be done.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:51 pm

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:26 pm

I've heard a rumour they're not newcastle fans' :D second club.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:08 am

well in the mire now

potter1989bwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by potter1989bwfc » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:59 am

I do follow how they are doing because of the Bolton connection...Phil Brown, Mendy

claus jensens guitar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by claus jensens guitar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Finally we are above them. Hull seem to be mirroring when we returned back in the Premiership in 2001/2 season which is no surprise. Fantastic start and then suddenly the wheels came off. I think they'll pull something out of the bag to stay up. Next season will be much tougher and I think they know that.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:23 pm

claus jensens guitar wrote:Finally we are above them. Hull seem to be mirroring when we returned back in the Premiership in 2001/2 season which is no surprise. Fantastic start and then suddenly the wheels came off. I think they'll pull something out of the bag to stay up. Next season will be much tougher and I think they know that.
Agreed, they'll be reet. The bottom 4 are there to stay IMO and are a bit adrift. I expect Blackburn to pull away and Stoke to drop in. So much for this extra tight season! Next year a lot of other teams will be better so Hull will have to be twice as good.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:43 pm

My Hull supporting work colleague has gone strangely quiet lately. You know, the one who said all they had to do was win the easy games like Wigan and Bolton, Blackburn etc, and they'd be fine. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:12 am

They have not won for 10 league games (D3 L7 F8 A23) and shipped a load of goals, leaving them on 29pts and with a -16 goal difference. Their morale must be shot and without their cup run they would be dead and burried.

There only saving grace looks to be that just like us their run in isn't half bad, with only Pool (H), United (H)and Villa (A) out of the top 6 to play. But if their bad run continues their season could depend on the last two games Bolton (A) and United (H).
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm

Browny has snapped
"He will never do that to me again," Brown said. "I'm the manager. I haven't spoken to him yet. He's getting drugs-tested so hopefully they will find that positive."

"Geovanni is not bigger than this football club - it's as simple as that. I don't think he was having a positive impact on the game."

Brown insisted Geovanni, who was replaced by Nick Barmby, still had a role to play in halting Hull's freefall.

"I'm there to make big decisions and if the fans don't like it then they don't like it there is nothing I can do about that," Brown added.
What!?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:20 am

Last night was like watching Bolton 5 or so seasons ago. Arsenal got every 50-50 decision. Loads of fouls against Hull were not allowed to play on despite clear advantage, whilst Arsenal free kicks were allowed to continue at significant advantage. Some ridiculous bookings for Hull - the time wasting was coming but only because of Arsene Whinger and one for Dawson for battling for the ball.

And that's before you look at the 2 yard offside goal.

potter1989bwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by potter1989bwfc » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Listened to a interview between Brown & BBC the day after and he clearly hadn't calmed down, he was going mental.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:14 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7950507.stm

Browny - clearly a tremendously passionate guy, but not 100% stable, I'd suggest...
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

rambaud
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by rambaud » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:49 am

don't blame the man. Everything he said is right, what was Fabregas even doing there. The questioning is pathetic - who else saw it? Has Brown got eyes in the back of his head? It was seen by Brian Horton and Brown. 'Why would Fabregas deny it?' is that the most stupid question ever? Would it possibly be because he doesn't want a fine etc?? Brown was rightly annoyed by the incident and no doubt wound up by the stupid questions and their tone - the accusation was that he made it up but Fabregas wouldn't lie.

As a Bolton girl herself, miss derbyshire should be all too aware of Arsenal's antics and Mr Wenger's selective blindness and dubious grasp of the laws of the game.

Suggesting Brown is unstable is not just going too far it's like getting on a transatlantic flight with an LA connection.