Is Sam Allardyce entitled to a little more respect

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

potter1989bwfc
Promising
Promising

Is Sam Allardyce entitled to a little more respect

Post by potter1989bwfc » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:52 pm

Sam Allardyce is not everyone’s cup of tea, but, after three wins and two draws in his first five games in charge of Blackburn Rovers, the latest a richly satisfying 3-0 win over Newcastle United, his previous club, it is time for his critics to concede that he is a top-class manager.

By all means question his methods, but, having transformed the fortunes of a demoralised squad at Ewood Park, he has proved a point to those who wrote him off after a brief, unhappy, but far from disastrous spell in charge of Newcastle. Joe Kinnear is happy to blame him for many of the problems at Newcastle, but the rot set in at St James’ Park a long time before Allardyce arrived. Meanwhile, Kinnear reveals that he is considering a “lucrative” long-term contract to stay at Newcastle, having steadied the ship. As of Saturday, he had managed four wins out of 18 matches in charge. They are three points off the bottom of the table and, by Kinnear’s own admission, facing the potential “disaster” of relegation.

Debate: Is Sam Allardyce entitled to a little more respect?
http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/ ... sam-a.html

screech powers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by screech powers » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:11 pm

His record as a manager deserves the upmost respect what he did could only ever be acheived by a tiny amount of managers. But he'll never get it as it was with us and that doesnt stil well down south!
Life is not like a box of chocolates , it is infact , like a box of chuck norris roundhouse kicking you in the face. And if you recieve a box of chuck norris , you always know what your gonna get.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Three wins, two draws and one loss, come Saturday. :wink: He was always respected here (by most of us), as a damn good manager. It was the manner of his leaving that wasn't respected.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Three wins, two draws and one loss, come Saturday. :wink: He was always respected here (by most of us), as a damn good manager. It was the manner of his leaving that wasn't respected.
Pretty much my feelings, although he is stil la hero to me. His method of leaving left a bad taste in the mouth but it doesnt come near wiping out those seven wonderful years.

As for that article, think it's a case of nothing else to write about. It was far too early after 5 months to tell if he'd be successful at Newcastle, and it's certainly too early after 5 games at the Dingles.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Bet Mark Hughes isn't respecting him right now. He's just banged 40 million asking price on Santa Cruz. :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Three wins, two draws and one loss, come Saturday. :wink: He was always respected here (by most of us), as a damn good manager. It was the manner of his leaving that wasn't respected.
Whilst I agree with this, I also want to add that I would rather like him to tarnish his reputation at his current club...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Is Sam Allardyce entitled to a little more respect

Post by eddybwfc » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:16 pm

potter1989bwfc wrote:
Sam Allardyce is not everyone’s cup of tea, but, after three wins and two draws in his first five games in charge of Blackburn Rovers, the latest a richly satisfying 3-0 win over Newcastle United, his previous club, it is time for his critics to concede that he is a top-class manager.

By all means question his methods, but, having transformed the fortunes of a demoralised squad at Ewood Park, he has proved a point to those who wrote him off after a brief, unhappy, but far from disastrous spell in charge of Newcastle. Joe Kinnear is happy to blame him for many of the problems at Newcastle, but the rot set in at St James’ Park a long time before Allardyce arrived. Meanwhile, Kinnear reveals that he is considering a “lucrative” long-term contract to stay at Newcastle, having steadied the ship. As of Saturday, he had managed four wins out of 18 matches in charge. They are three points off the bottom of the table and, by Kinnear’s own admission, facing the potential “disaster” of relegation.

Debate: Is Sam Allardyce entitled to a little more respect?
http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/ ... sam-a.html
I respect him, always have and always will for what he did for bolton.

Blackburn have got them selves a quality manager imo

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:33 pm

What Eddy said.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Bet Mark Hughes isn't respecting him right now. He's just banged 40 million asking price on Santa Cruz. :shock:
Very clever seeing as reports are that Santa Cruz has an £18m release clause in there somewhere. The bigger bid was just to trigger it mid-season.

The £40m ask (have they really done that??) is a "bugger-off, come back in the summer" answer.

Citeh are going to have to get used to clubs suddenly asking ridiculous amounts for players they ask about.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Short answer : Yes

Long answer : Can't be bothered, it'd be a waste of time trying to convince certain people.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:02 pm

FD wrote: Long answer : Can't be bothered, it'd be a waste of time trying to convince certain people.
Well, yes, your conspiracy theory, "the truth will out one day" line is weird, in my humble opinion.

Anyway.... Allardyce will always have my respect and admiration for what he achieved here, but he has to prove himself again now, and it will be interesting to take stock of the job he has done at Blackburn at the end of this season and beyond.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:49 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
FD wrote: Long answer : Can't be bothered, it'd be a waste of time trying to convince certain people.
Well, yes, your conspiracy theory, "the truth will out one day" line is weird, in my humble opinion.
Sorry you feel the need to mention that but I'm honestly not sure what that has to do with trying to convince people he's owed more respect as a manager? I don't think the reason he left us has anything to do with him being a good manager at all.

It's not a conspiracy theory by the way, it's my opinion, there's a world of difference between the two, though of course neither are based on fact. Whoops, sorry, I meant FACT! obviously.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:36 am

Fook him,

Harry Rednapp won a few on his arrival at Spurs. New manager Syndrome. It will come to an end then they'll get on his case then he'll be out of work again.

Hopefully we can put an end to all this bollox a week wed.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:07 am

bobo the clown wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Bet Mark Hughes isn't respecting him right now. He's just banged 40 million asking price on Santa Cruz. :shock:
Very clever seeing as reports are that Santa Cruz has an £18m release clause in there somewhere. The bigger bid was just to trigger it mid-season.

The £40m ask (have they really done that??) is a "bugger-off, come back in the summer" answer.

Citeh are going to have to get used to clubs suddenly asking ridiculous amounts for players they ask about.
30 million for Nolan! :pissed:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:04 am

I have much admiration for Mr Allardyce (which, I think, is what this thread is about?). Certainly he stood on the shoulders of others but, for crying out loud, he had us twice in the UEFA Cup competition. How can you not admire that?

Yes, I was most disappointed with the manner of his leaving (as I was with some of his tactical decisions) but who am I to criticise a bloke who did so much for us? I haven't met the fellow, and he might well be an absolute idiot, but the reason we are still - temporarily - in the Premier League is his legacy. If you cannot accept that and treat the bloke as some sort of pariah, then so be it.

SOTWA: I take offence at your 'signature', it should have the added clause "it'll kill you". :mrgreen:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:21 am

Dujon wrote:I have much admiration for Mr Allardyce (which, I think, is what this thread is about?). Certainly he stood on the shoulders of others but, for crying out loud, he had us twice in the UEFA Cup competition. How can you not admire that?

Yes, I was most disappointed with the manner of his leaving (as I was with some of his tactical decisions) but who am I to criticise a bloke who did so much for us? I haven't met the fellow, and he might well be an absolute idiot, but the reason we are still - temporarily - in the Premier League is his legacy. If you cannot accept that and treat the bloke as some sort of pariah, then so be it.

SOTWA: I take offence at your 'signature', it should have the added clause "it'll kill you". :mrgreen:
not if you take it nice and slow... can fill in the hours between the morning weak tea and toast and late afternoon cream cake very nicely...

and beats reading obituaries in the bolton news...

i'm told... :wink:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:45 pm

William the White wrote: . . . can fill in the hours between the morning weak tea and toast and late afternoon cream cake very nicely...
That, Sir, is a wonderful assessment of my predicament. It's the strong tea and the nap, followed by the mythical cream cake (it's the expectation that brings you down) that worries me, my dear peer.

Crikey I feel old. In something like six weeks (OK, five weeks and five days) I will become officially an OAP. I'm not looking forward to it as it means that those who perhaps had you at a level 5 (on a scale of 1 - 10) on their people meter have an automatic update installed in their brains which drops that level by a factor of 20%. I understand that clever double glazing salesmen are ranked at that level!

I wonder though where 'Big Sam' fits into that silly assessment. Well, he doesn't: He's an enthusiastic (might I say 'virile') member of the 20/20 club. He will, undoubtedly, score when he can. He will bring to matches his club of verve and excitement - well, it always is when you're struggling for survival - and, most likely, pull out a rabbit from his hat.

"Legerdemain" is a word I have always admired - I don't know why, but it sounds good. If anyone can get Blackburn out of the mud (and, perhaps, put us into the stuff that fixes itself to the blades of a mixer and which children lick off with glee) it's him.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:24 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:

Anyway.... Allardyce will always have my respect and admiration for what he achieved here, but he has to prove himself again now, and it will be interesting to take stock of the job he has done at Blackburn at the end of this season and beyond.
Oh I think he will do very well with the Dingles TBH, he is a good manager when motivated! much better than we currently have.

BUT

He is now a dingle, left us somewhat in the brown stuff, so he can well and truly SOD OFF! Had respect, got no longer.

BoltonMad2oo8
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BoltonMad2oo8 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Of course he does! He is a living legend in my eyes, ok his style of football was questioned at times but I think we played a damn site better under him than we have in the time since and he brought a range of world class players to a little known town and he got them playing. He took a first division side up to the premier league and then into Europe twice in a seven year period, with little money and fight the world and his wife it seems (meaning all the other teams, managers, pundits etc). He would have done a good job at Newcastle if he was given the time and he will do at Blackburn because he is a quality manager that has a very ambitious and determined attitude! We miss him dearly, and I wish we had brought him back to the club. The guy is a great man manager who always looks heavily into sports science, sports pshycology and has a fantastic tactical ability.
YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE JOHAN!!!!

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:03 am

Way too early to judge. Yes, his earlier accomplishments at Bolton deserve respect. No, his time at Newcastle does not. I have serious doubts about his eye for a player. We know he was good at picking out players who had once been world-class, but with those deals gone the way of the dodo, we'll see if his Blackburn business is in the vein of Jay-Jay Okocha or Jose Enrique.