Beckham

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Beckham

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:23 am

Sorry if I have missed another discussion on this.

What's going on? If reports are to be believed, it seems they are haggling over a difference of about £5million. Beckham could probably cover that himself with what he has in his loose change dish.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 894716.stm
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

blurred
Icon
Icon

Re: Beckham

Post by blurred » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:08 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Sorry if I have missed another discussion on this.

What's going on? If reports are to be believed, it seems they are haggling over a difference of about £5million. Beckham could probably cover that himself with what he has in his loose change dish.

I think that his contract that he signed with the Galaxy has a lot to do with it, not just the difference in their respective 'values' of him as a player.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:06 pm

Didn't LA spend something like an African country's GDP getting him to go there? If so, they're entitled to want a bit of it back considering he's hardly played a game for them.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:10 pm

Galaxy fans have pretty much paid for him to be there, I think that's what I find ever so slightly amusing in it all. God damn brand-Beckham

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:40 pm

blurred wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Sorry if I have missed another discussion on this.

I think that his contract that he signed with the Galaxy has a lot to do with it, not just the difference in their respective 'values' of him as a player.

Well, yes, but what is reported, at least, is that the two parties' idea of what it would it would take to release Beckham from that contract is 'only' £5million apart.

Another thing I don't understand is how much of the financing of the original deal LA Galaxy put up, and how much the league itself paid.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:44 pm

Looks more and more like this was a daft deal for all parties concerned except Milan who may get him on the cheap so to speak although ceap being debateable given wages etc in this case.

ThonyWinters
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ThonyWinters » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:26 pm

Well, what to say really? I mean it's to be expected of a "megastar". Gotta say, I'm sure most Premiership clubs would still love Becks in their side but is he still the same player he was 5 or 6 years ago? I really don't think he is and for that reason, I find it hard to believe that he's anything but a brand these days. Afterall, Galaxy and the whole MLS tend to be just that. A brand. What happened to the good ol' days of real rock'n'roll football?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Carlo Ancelotti reckons he's a bit more than a brand. And Carlo's won enough European Cups for him to be on Chelsea's radar...

ThonyWinters
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ThonyWinters » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Carlo Ancelotti reckons he's a bit more than a brand. And Carlo's won enough European Cups for him to be on Chelsea's radar...
True true. I only hope he holds up though. Couldn't really catch much of England's game last week so I have no idea how he's playing. Hopefully playing in the Serie A ups his game from playing in the MLS cause I've seen some of his MLS performances and not the same.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:54 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Beckham could probably cover that himself with what he has in his loose change dish.

"Beckham's desire to play for a top club in order to cement his place in the England squad for the 2010 World Cup finals led to him effectively funding the unique loan deal himself. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 926933.stm

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Horza » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:37 am