Neil Warnock goes up in my estimation

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Neil Warnock goes up in my estimation

Post by bw@bw » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:22 pm

That would not be difficult - as a manager - but his Saturday column in the Independent makes good reading at times.

Today he has excelled himself.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 44812.html

-----------------------------------------------------------

2. Gerrard was brilliant but why the swan dive?

When I went into the press conference after the Burnley game all the journos were looking at the telly. Arsenal's penalty shoot-out with Roma was just starting. I said, "Sorry, lads, you'll have to wait for a quote. This is too exciting. Turn the sound up."

It must have been the longest press conference I've ever given. We were there about 20 minutes, cheering when Arsenal scored, being deflated when Roma did. It was a great result.

Talking of the Champions League games, I sat there on Tuesday night with William watching Chelsea and, until they scored to kill the tie, Liverpool. The quality and pace Liverpool showed at the start is made to measure for European football. Liverpool wipe the floor with teams that don't harass them. They played some unbelievable football, but I had to smile when I saw Steven Gerrard do the most ridiculous dive at the edge of the box and the ref fall for it hook, line and sinker. Gerrard got all the right headlines for the way he played that night, so why on earth does he have to do things like that? And why aren't referees good enough to spot it? Just think if that had been Cristiano Ronaldo diving. There'd have been bedlam.
We also have to bring in technology to confirm if the ball has crossed the line. Chelsea's "goal" from Drogba was so far over it was untrue. When that happens you feel things are against you but Drogba's goal near the end thankfully sent them though.