Celtic manager gets a thump from a fan

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Celtic manager gets a thump from a fan

Post by thebish » Fri May 13, 2011 9:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with this criticism of Lennon. Its almost like folk are saying "well these acts aren't that nice and all, but that Lennon's a shit".

Sorry no.

He is targeted because he is a high profile catholic. What is happening to him is entirely wrong and a sad reflection of the sectarianism in Scottish society and Scottish football. That is the issue that needs to be tackled.

Whether Lennon is a bit stupid or not is irrelevant here.
indeed - same order of argument that says women who wear short skirts are "asking for it"...

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri May 13, 2011 9:19 am

A main reason why he is targeted is that he's a massive wanker.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 13, 2011 9:31 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:A main reason why he is targeted is that he's a massive wanker.
No. And whether he is or isn't is irrelevant. The folks targeting are the ones who should be sought out and dealt with.

Lennon may well be ill advised with some of the actions he takes.

But so are plenty of folk. Doesn't mean that they should have letterbombs sent to them or bullets or be physically attacked.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri May 13, 2011 9:33 am

Course not, and you've agreed with me by that middle point.

He's manager of the most religiously-sensitive club in the land, and therefore you'd assume he'd keep his head down. Martin O'Neill shares a religion and nationality with Lennon, but he was never treated in the same manner.

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Fri May 13, 2011 9:34 am

Wasn't Martin O'Neill a high profile Catholic from Northern Ireland?

Not making excuses mind, these attacks are sickening. But something about Lennon winds everybody up. He gets dogs abuse in from Aberdeen to Stranraer, everywhere in Scotland, and most of the clubs couldn't give two hoots about religion!
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 13, 2011 9:40 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Course not, and you've agreed with me by that middle point.

He's manager of the most religiously-sensitive club in the land, and therefore you'd assume he'd keep his head down. Martin O'Neill shares a religion and nationality with Lennon, but he was never treated in the same manner.
Different character though. I think that cupping his hands to his ears, was ill advised but understandable. I'd be fooking wanting to make a statement in that position too. Not saying it was the right thing to do or the clever thing to do.

But all too often excuses are made for racism, sectarianism whatever....

The focus SHOULD NOT be Lennon it should be the problem in Scottish football and society. He's a football manager he should be allowed to get on with his job however he wants. Obviously if he starts inciting fans with religious gestures or starts talking about religion in interviews in a provocative way then that is different.

But he won't be the first or last manager to make a gesture to the opposition fans or to "celebrate a goal vigorously" or indeed to suggest a team "did not try as hard as it might against another team".

I believe Fergie has been doing that for years....and I know who I'd prefer out of Fergie and Lennon and it ain't the glasses wearing ex Aberdeen manager! But he still wouldn't deserve any of the stuff Lennon gets!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri May 13, 2011 9:43 am

Neil Lennon courts controvery. His aggressive attitude on and off the pitch has always riled people; in Scotland and in England. He was an 'in-your-face'-type player, who appeared to treat others with arrogant contempt.

His arrogant style has continued as a manager. Constant bleatings about perceived unfair treatment from referees - complete hogwash to anyone without green blinkers - have worn down the goodwill of others. Then, to top it all, last week he complained that teams were lying down against Rangers. One of the teams he criticised was Hearts - unbelievably, considering Celtic were due at Tynecastle - which meant he was always likely to receive abuse.

If Lennon wasn't such an arse people would only be talking about the quality football his team has played this season, and the cracking unheralded signings he made at the start of the campaign.

However, the physical assaults and bomb threats are appalling acts carried out by utter morons.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 13, 2011 10:22 am

I wouldn't fancy being Lennon's postman, like! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 13, 2011 2:38 pm

Why can't you talk about both? The letter bombs, bullets etc are utterly scandalous and indefensible. That should never ever happen over what is just a game. Stuff like that proves Mr Shankly was talking out of his big ol arsehole.

Neil Lennon is a complete and utter cnut, who can have no complaints about the fact he is disliked immensely everywhere outside of Parkhead, and that he is in constant trouble with the SFA.

Two doesn't excuse one, not even nearly, but they are similar enough to be talked about together. X amount of what goes on around Lennon is justified on account of two, but one is not.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 13, 2011 2:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:Why can't you talk about both? The letter bombs, bullets etc are utterly scandalous and indefensible. That should never ever happen over what is just a game. Stuff like that proves Mr Shankly was talking out of his big ol arsehole.

Neil Lennon is a complete and utter cnut, who can have no complaints about the fact he is disliked immensely everywhere outside of Parkhead, and that he is in constant trouble with the SFA.

Two doesn't excuse one, not even nearly, but they are similar enough to be talked about together. X amount of what goes on around Lennon is justified on account of two, but one is not.
Lennon is no more a cnut than Alex Ferguson, Ashley Cole, El Hadji Diouf, Robbie Savage etc. You get them in football.

Thats as far as that goes.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri May 13, 2011 2:51 pm

I think you need to let this one go, chief. He's a prick, the abusers are pricks.

Savage isn't a cnut, he's a thundercnut

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 13, 2011 2:52 pm

If anyone thinks that Lennon is receiving letterbombs because he's a cnut they need to give their heads a good shaking. That is my point!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 13, 2011 2:54 pm

He is definitely more of a cnut than the first two. He is in the same category as the latter two. Stuff like this happening opens up the question of how far things can go before they go too far. There is a difference saying Neil Lennon is targeted for death threats because of his own actions (he is, though not solely), and saying it is OK to target Neil Lennon on account of his actions. Relishing beating him is fine, mocking him if you are doing is fine, singing songs related to his football career is fine, singing songs related to his religion or personal life is not, IMO. People may draw the line in different places.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:If anyone thinks that Lennon is receiving letterbombs because he's a cnut they need to give their heads a good shaking. That is my point!
I don't think many people think that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:If anyone thinks that Lennon is receiving letterbombs because he's a cnut they need to give their heads a good shaking. That is my point!

That is part of it! O'Neill didn't! Lennon does, what is the difference? That isn't a justification. But to deny his own actions are a partial cause is bollocks. IMO. Plenty of people do things that make them targets for lunatics. For some it is being politicians, others having a cause, others scoring goals, others just being dicks. Neil Lennon should have the right to be a dick.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Fri May 13, 2011 10:42 pm

he's a shite manager.
celtic should have walked the SPL this season given Rangers financial woes.
bit difficult for sellick to sack him if (as i sincerely hope) they win feck all again this season
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 16, 2011 8:07 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:he's a shite manager.
celtic should have walked the SPL this season given Rangers financial woes.
bit difficult for sellick to sack him if (as i sincerely hope) they win feck all again this season
Aye.. In an ironic twist of fate this has made him 'bullet-proof' if you excuse the pun. Celtic's board would look a right set of cnuts if they got rid of him now. Which up there, missing out on the title twice on the bounce is probably a sackable offence.

Not to mention the fact that he's potentially putting the lives of his colleagues at risk, by being there. (through his own actions or not is a different point though)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Also has managed to get the fact that he's lost the league with a squad that has had ten times the investment of Rangers.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat May 21, 2011 9:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with this criticism of Lennon. Its almost like folk are saying "well these acts aren't that nice and all, but that Lennon's a shit".

Sorry no.

He is targeted because he is a high profile catholic. What is happening to him is entirely wrong and a sad reflection of the sectarianism in Scottish society and Scottish football. That is the issue that needs to be tackled.

Whether Lennon is a bit stupid or not is irrelevant here.
please get tae feck with your ill-informed and ill-founded statements.

First off, he is being "targetted" because, as others have pointed out to you, he is a massive wanker. Martin O'Neill didn't get it, Bill McNeill didn't get this, Burns didn't get it, Mowbray didn't get it, Stein didn't get it, but this guy, who's been acting the cock all season has been on the end of some way over the top stuff. See the common link, or rather the non-existent link to being a Celtic Manager, or a catholic?

Secondly, this is not a problem with sectarianism in Socttihs society, because quite simply no such thing exists. There is a massive problem relating to football in the Glasgow area, who use religion as a club to beat others with, and not always as has been shown lately metaphorically.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat May 21, 2011 9:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Why can't you talk about both? The letter bombs, bullets etc are utterly scandalous and indefensible. That should never ever happen over what is just a game. Stuff like that proves Mr Shankly was talking out of his big ol arsehole.

Lennon is no more a cnut than Alex Ferguson, Ashley Cole, El Hadji Diouf, Robbie Savage etc. You get them in football.

Thats as far as that goes.
Again, just shows how out of touch you are. Lennon has not only managed to rile up the fans of every opposing team this season, he has had the refs striking, he has been sent to the stands in a Spanish friendly, and he has been interviewed by police over his behaviour. To top it all of course, he managed to run up consecutive 4 game bans with his bahaviour, and that coming from an SFA that is institutionally biased towards the Weegie bigots.

All of that in his first season in charge, with no track record behind him to at least allow for a little of the blinkered irrational paranoid rantings that he has consistently come away with.

If you don't know what you're on about, then stop posting this shite.