Liverpool laughing stocks?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Liverpool laughing stocks?

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:38 pm

seanworth wrote:
thebish wrote:I had expected it to be ManU who went for this first...
not really.
yeah - really! I DID expect it to be manU who went for this first! :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:44 pm

boltonboris wrote:Read that earlier today.. It's all well and good saying that, but the gulf between Liverpool and Man Utd / Chelsea, will just get bigger and bigger.. What can he blame it on then?

And I'm sure they are all desperate to sign up to watch Lucas Skrtle and Downing every week :lmfao: !

Liverpool is still thinking they are massive shocker. Rag Tags would get even bigger, City would just buy some Chinese superstar and stick them up front.

Can't happen. Shouldn't happen. Would be another nail in the coffin of my interest in Premier League football.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:45 pm

thebish wrote:I had expected it to be ManU who went for this first...
If you heard the guy issuing the statement, you'd have found it difficult to pick which of the two he was from, the amount of times he mentioned Utd. Don't think they haven't been having meetings and discussions about this. On top of Ferguson's comments the other week, I would say we're seeing the start of a concerted campaign.

What we have to worry about is if there are enough dickheads running clubs that think they're big getting carried along with this. I'm thinking Newcastle et al, though strangely even though Ashley is a prize one, I have a feeling he will recognise that they aren't big enough to go it alone.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Liverpool have a £35m striker don't you know.

That alone would be decent revenue from overseas comedy channels.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:18 pm

I'm not really sure how it works anyway... how can Liverpool sell exclusive rights to their games in Kuala Lumpur when all of their games would include a second team - or are they proposing just to play themselves on these exclusive deals? Couldn't Bolton then say - nahhh - we're in it - and you can't profit from it unless you edit out all of the Bolton players (and the ground if it is at the reebok)?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:21 pm

If someone could explain how Barca and Real do it, there your answer would lie.

The only recourse we have is to do what the Scottish clubs did when Rangers and Celtic mooted this. But then, there are only 2 teams who think they're big in Scotland. All we need is 14 over here and we're screwed. I'll bet theres already at least 8 that think they can make it pay.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:33 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:If someone could explain how Barca and Real do it, there your answer would lie.

do they pixellate out the opposition players' faces?

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:35 pm

I very much doubt if anyone overseas like me would pay independantly for individual Club's games, ie. one fee for United, one for City, one for Spurs, one for Arsenal etc, when for one overall fee you can receive all the games.

Non starter for me as in my experience of living in Asia for 16 years, Asians are football mad and want all the premiership games not just the top four's games.

Note that I didn't include Liverpool in that list!! :evil:
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:37 pm

thebish wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:If someone could explain how Barca and Real do it, there your answer would lie.

Wouldn't surprise me when they're playing each other! :-)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me when they're playing each other! :-)
:D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:50 pm

mrplow wrote:Interesting article in today's Guardian about TV rights.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... ay-tv-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"What is absolutely certain is that, with the greatest of respect to our colleagues in the Premier League, but if you're a Bolton fan in Bolton, then you subscribe to Sky because you want to watch Bolton. Everyone gets that. Likewise, if you're a Liverpool fan from Liverpool, you subscribe. But if you're in Kuala Lumpur there isn't anyone subscribing to Astro, or ESPN to watch Bolton, or if they are it's a very small number. Whereas the large majority are subscribing because they want to watch Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal."
Liverpool manageing to totally ignore the past few seasons and that Citeh (massive you know) and even the Spuds are as big a draw these days.

The meeja will rsist it until they can include Wet Spam too.

Liverpool are fast becoming the sort of cancer on English football that Stretford used to be.

It is VITAL that they blow it this year. They've spent future years income this summer and need ECL games/money next season or they'll be doing a Leeds/Newcastle. The sooner the better too.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:53 pm

That would require Spurs to get 4th this season then.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:07 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Liverpool manageing to totally ignore the past few seasons and that Citeh (massive you know) and even the Spuds are as big a draw these days.

Liverpool are fast becoming the sort of cancer on English football that Stretford used to be.

It is VITAL that they blow it this year. They've spent future years income this summer and need ECL games/money next season or they'll be doing a Leeds/Newcastle. The sooner the better too.
It's not ignoring City and Spurs, Liverpool are a massive draw worldwide, and behind only possibly United in terms of global fanbase. Us and them would do fantastically well out of it, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and City would probably do about as well as they do now out of it, and everyone else would be fecked. It's perfectly understandable that LFC would look to do that - we've been doing it since before the Bad Yanks were in charge. Ian Ayre's only doing his job in trying to maximise revenues.

That being said, this idea is a catastrophically bad one, and should never see the light of day. It will ruin English football, and most Liverpool fans that I know and that I've seen are not in favour of it in the slightest. There's a reason the PL has such a draw outside the UK, and that's because it's a competitive, honest league. Barcelona and Madrid are huge in Spain, but there's no real desire to see La Liga. If we got rid of collective bargaining it'd end up with an English version of that (even moreso than there is now), and the PL would suffer for it in the long run.

Down with this sort of thing.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:23 pm

blurred wrote:It will ruin English football, and most Liverpool fans that I know and that I've seen are not in favour of it in the slightest.
That's great! Except that most Liverpool fans that you know and have seen will have fck all say on it either way.
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Man Utd and Chelsea have already said they don't agree with Liverpools suggestion.

Hmm.

So Liverpool really are the most abhorrent club in the country all by themselves!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:00 pm

A possible solution would be the killing of gloryhunters.

People supporting their local team would be spared, but sorry plastic fans, your time is up.

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:07 pm

jmjhb wrote:A possible solution would be the killing of gloryhunters.

People supporting their local team would be spared, but sorry plastic fans, your time is up.
I am willing to tackle the problem of Mancs throughout the Northwest...

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:17 pm

mrplow wrote:Interesting article in today's Guardian about TV rights.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... ay-tv-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"What is absolutely certain is that, with the greatest of respect to our colleagues in the Premier League, but if you're a Bolton fan in Bolton, then you subscribe to Sky because you want to watch Bolton. Everyone gets that. Likewise, if you're a Liverpool fan from Liverpool, you subscribe. But if you're in Kuala Lumpur there isn't anyone subscribing to Astro, or ESPN to watch Bolton, or if they are it's a very small number. Whereas the large majority are subscribing because they want to watch Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal."
What a simpleton.

You have to worry when a Premier League director thinks like that. No, you tit, people from Bolton who support Bolton do not subscribe to Sky to watch Bolton, they subscribe to Sky to watch FOOTBALL. Because guess what? They love football. Most people who live in Bolton, who support Bolton go to the fecking Reebok if they want to watch Bolton play.

Same goes for Liverpool, of course they'll watch them on telly if they're not at the game, but they hardly think of Sky as some sort of Liverpool season ticket, they buy it because they can watch football whether it be Premier League, Chmapions League, Championship, Blue Square Premier League, International or otherwise.

Maybe people in Kuala Lumpur don't think like that, but quite frankly, no-one cares, this isn't the Malaysian Premier League.
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:17 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
blurred wrote:It will ruin English football, and most Liverpool fans that I know and that I've seen are not in favour of it in the slightest.
That's great! Except that most Liverpool fans that you know and have seen will have fck all say on it either way.
The second exception being that most Liverpool fans he's seen now constitute a small minority of their global fanbase. They may wallow in the pull of their club, one day its going to bite them on the arse. That day is drawing near.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:53 pm

blurred wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Liverpool manageing to totally ignore the past few seasons and that Citeh (massive you know) and even the Spuds are as big a draw these days.

It's not ignoring City and Spurs, Liverpool are a massive draw worldwide, and behind only possibly United in terms of global fanbase. Us and them would do fantastically well out of it, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and City would probably do about as well as they do now out of it, and everyone else would be fecked. It's perfectly understandable that LFC would look to do that - we've been doing it since before the Bad Yanks were in charge. Ian Ayre's only doing his job in trying to maximise revenues.

That being said, this idea is a catastrophically bad one, and should never see the light of day. It will ruin English football, and most Liverpool fans that I know and that I've seen are not in favour of it in the slightest. There's a reason the PL has such a draw outside the UK, and that's because it's a competitive, honest league. Barcelona and Madrid are huge in Spain, but there's no real desire to see La Liga. If we got rid of collective bargaining it'd end up with an English version of that (even moreso than there is now), and the PL would suffer for it in the long run.

Down with this sort of thing.

You mean after some seriously rich Arab would issue every kid throughout Asia with a brand spanky FREE Man City shirt that they won't have just a mega pull as your lot?