Liverpool laughing stocks?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Liverpool laughing stocks?

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:58 pm

While a large part of me hopes they fail, I'd not start laughing too soon on all this... the market is obvioulsuy inflated. Teams need to sign young English player to fill homegrown quotas and the like, but just remember Comolli is the man pulling the transfer string on the young players at Liverpool.

His record is pretty impress for signing decent young players... and has probably ended up being a net outflow at his previous 2 english clubs..
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:08 am

Good point about Comoli but time will tell.
What could've happened; did.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:59 am

Let's see. Most clubs seem to be losing money with many wallowing in financial hell. Nah I'll keep laughing for the time being.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Liverpool have apparently put a bid of 22m for Jones at Blackburn. Rednose is not happy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z1P3q923Ib
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Liverpool have apparently put a bid of 22m for Jones at Blackburn. Rednose is not happy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z1P3q923Ib
:shock:
United have offered to make Jones the highest-paid teenager in the history of English football with a startling £80,000-a-week contract, but Blackburn are even prepared to top that.
Blackburn are prepared to pay a defender MORE than £80,000 a week??

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Like Carrol, this lad's not even got a season of premiership games under his belt. Some silly money being thrown about.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:54 am

Henderson was pathetic again last night.

In other news, something else for their fans to get in a lather over - a hint of blue on the new away kit

bristolwanderer
Promising
Promising

Post by bristolwanderer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:59 pm

:lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Henderson was pathetic again last night.

In other news, something else for their fans to get in a lather over - a hint of blue on the new away kit

Aye, real stroke of design genius that. I'm betting it'll get changed before the season starts. Blue and orange no-no's in Liverpool.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Some fair old balls being talked in this thread. Suarez a bad buy? Arguably one of the best players in the league from January - May.

Carroll's price was ridiculous, but the whole point of that was that we wanted a net £15m off the Torres deal. If Chelsea had paid £40m for Torres it'd've been £25m for Carroll. As it was Newcastle jacked up the price, which we only paid once we'd shifted Torres out the door. We ended up effectively swapping Torres and Babel for Suarez and Carroll in January, and that was the point.

The blue kit thing is a load of froth - we had blue on our away kits circa 1999-2001 (the green one with the diagonal stripe, and the yellow one from the treble season which had blue arms/sides). Both of these had more blue on them than this year's effort, which is actually not a bad looking kit. I think it's a bit daft having blue on there myself, but it's hardly the end of the world.

Is Henderson worth what we've paid? First of all, you'd need to know what we've paid, which nobody does. Some say £13m + Ngog, and others are happy to talk about £20m. No idea which is right, although the answer's probably somewhere between the two. From what I've seen of him he's a tidy footballer, arguably not having played with the best of teammates in Bruce's midfield, and time will tell. For all those who scoff and say he's overpriced and overrated, even if he has a distinctly average 2-3 years at Liverpool we'll still be selling a young 20s England international, so his resale value will still be easily around the £15m mark, if not higher.

Oh, and believing the Daily Mail with transfer rumours? Haha.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:01 am

Have we hit a raw nerve?

Still, you've needed replacements for Redknapp and Heskey for quite some time, so the fans'll be ecstatic.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Have we hit a raw nerve?
People talking bollocks about most things annoys me
Lord Kangana wrote:Still, you've needed replacements for Redknapp and Heskey for quite some time, so the fans'll be ecstatic.
We'll see what happens when it's all said and done - we're already linked with about 20 different people and there's still 2 months to go. Could be an interesting summer.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:08 am

blurred wrote:Some fair old balls being talked in this thread. Suarez a bad buy? Arguably one of the best players in the league from January - May.

Carroll's price was ridiculous, but the whole point of that was that we wanted a net £15m off the Torres deal. If Chelsea had paid £40m for Torres it'd've been £25m for Carroll. As it was Newcastle jacked up the price, which we only paid once we'd shifted Torres out the door. We ended up effectively swapping Torres and Babel for Suarez and Carroll in January, and that was the point.

The blue kit thing is a load of froth - we had blue on our away kits circa 1999-2001 (the green one with the diagonal stripe, and the yellow one from the treble season which had blue arms/sides). Both of these had more blue on them than this year's effort, which is actually not a bad looking kit. I think it's a bit daft having blue on there myself, but it's hardly the end of the world.

Is Henderson worth what we've paid? First of all, you'd need to know what we've paid, which nobody does. Some say £13m + Ngog, and others are happy to talk about £20m. No idea which is right, although the answer's probably somewhere between the two. From what I've seen of him he's a tidy footballer, arguably not having played with the best of teammates in Bruce's midfield, and time will tell. For all those who scoff and say he's overpriced and overrated, even if he has a distinctly average 2-3 years at Liverpool we'll still be selling a young 20s England international, so his resale value will still be easily around the £15m mark, if not higher.

Oh, and believing the Daily Mail with transfer rumours? Haha.
So, when it suits, 'we' know prices and when it doesn't 'we' don't

Carry on
Sto ut Serviam

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:13 am

Twas saying on SSN this morning that they believe Sammy Lee to have been sacked by Dalglish. Sammy Lee - Stealing a living since 1990 (the little c*nt).
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:14 am

off to West Ham, isn't he

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:off to West Ham, isn't he

Positive?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:10 am

Always 8)

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:30 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
blurred wrote:Carroll's price was ridiculous, but the whole point of that was that we wanted a net £15m off the Torres deal. If Chelsea had paid £40m for Torres it'd've been £25m for Carroll.

Is Henderson worth what we've paid? First of all, you'd need to know what we've paid, which nobody does.
So, when it suits, 'we' know prices and when it doesn't 'we' don't

Carry on
No, not at all, but then it's not unlike you to spectacularly misread what's written to suit what you want to hear.

Carroll's price has been announced. The question of his 'value' is subjective, given that it's widely known that Liverpool were always going to pay Torres -£15m for him (having had a bid of £25m accepted before Ashley jacked up the price on deadline day), but at least we know what he cost, and his transfer can be taken alongside the Torres one.

Henderson's price hasn't been announced, and so his worth, relative to his value, can not be ascertained because we don't know how much was paid for him, or whether we've thrown Ngog in with the deal or not (for instance).

It's a fairly simple concept that 'we' don't know the price of things that haven't been announced and that 'we' do know the price of ones that have.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Twas saying on SSN this morning that they believe Sammy Lee to have been sacked by Dalglish. Sammy Lee - Stealing a living since 1990 (the little c*nt).
Aye, we've been strangely tight-lipped about this - neither confirming nor denying (which seems to suggest that he has gone, because if he hadn't they'd be all over it to quash the rumour). Steve Clarke's been moving closer and closer to the number two spot anyway, this wasn't unexpected.

Don't think he's off to West Ham, though, if reports are anything to go by.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:29 pm

blurred wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Twas saying on SSN this morning that they believe Sammy Lee to have been sacked by Dalglish. Sammy Lee - Stealing a living since 1990 (the little c*nt).
Aye, we've been strangely tight-lipped about this - neither confirming nor denying (which seems to suggest that he has gone, because if he hadn't they'd be all over it to quash the rumour). Steve Clarke's been moving closer and closer to the number two spot anyway, this wasn't unexpected.

Don't think he's off to West Ham, though, if reports are anything to go by.
According to reports today he's left, but is too busy negotiating his pay-off to be nullifying the impact by taking other work.

Interesting as I recall he did that when he left us ... both as a player AND as a 'manager'.

He sure enough knows the value of a good dismissal does Mr Lee.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".