Euro 2012

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:39 am

The main culprits for surrendering the ball last night...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:02 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: No doubt Spain will win it, unless Germany can stop them.

But personally I don't want England trying to emulate Spain. It's pointless. Im willing to bet that Spain will never be able to emulate this side they've got now.
Do you ever think before posting?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:03 am

Little Green Man wrote:The main culprits for surrendering the ball last night...

Young and Carroll's places could be under threat and I doubt Parker won't play that poor again so theres an improvement right away. Trashley should stop trying to be a winger, he ain't.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:03 am

Lord Kangana wrote:

But personally I don't want England trying to emulate Spain. It's pointless. Im willing to bet that Spain will never be able to emulate this side they've got now.
Spain send me to the fridge!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:09 am

Big worry for me is our central midfield. With only Henderson waiting in the wings (& perhaps Jones) Gerard and Parker were getting over ran in the 2nd half. Not sure whether it's because they were knackered or just outnumbered. Coupled with Johnson, Cole, Milner & Youngs poor use of the ball they were certainly made to work harder than they should have done.

Back to 4-5-1 for the Ukraine game for me.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:11 am

Spain win World Cups and European Championships. And are favourites for this. Considering the discussion is about winning vs style, I've yet to come across more f*cked up logic in all my born days.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:13 am

Lord Kangana wrote:

:roll:

So we just try and copy the style of whichever side happens to be winning stuff at the time?

No we try and win it, but with a style that suits our players and where they play.

More than one way to skin a cat. You have to play with the cards you are dealt.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:18 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Spain win World Cups and European Championships. And are favourites for this. Considering the discussion is about winning vs style, I've yet to come across more f*cked up logic in all my born days.
They have a fantastic crop of players. Do you think that in ten years time when Xavi and Iniesta are finished they will have replacements as good?

You can only play with the players you are producing. Unless you have some magic formula to churn out Iniesta and Xavi every few years then you are going to have to do something different.

Greece won the euros not so long back. Before Spain had won owt.

Chelsea beat Barcelone to the champions league final.

England undoubtedly lack quality, but we don't have to play like Spain in order to win things. Just have better quality players, which there is little right at this moment we can do about that.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:20 am

Lord Kangana wrote:

I'm not really sure what your beef is here LK? it IS pointless top try to play like spain do - we can only play to our strengths and hope it's enough...

maybe your auto-beef feature was enabled? :wink:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:42 am

Aspire to be the best. Spain weren't Spain before they became Spain. Its nonsense to suggest its some kind of miracle. You can trace each and every footballing epoch to a plan coming to fruition. If Andy Carroll is our plan, then thank f*ck we aren't trying to emulate them it'd be embarassing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:48 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Aspire to be the best. Spain weren't Spain before they became Spain. Its nonsense to suggest its some kind of miracle. You can trace each and every footballing epoch to a plan coming to fruition. If Andy Carroll is our plan, then thank f*ck we aren't trying to emulate them it'd be embarassing.
So what was Spains grand plan? Ask Barcelona to produce a load of top level players for them who play together regularly?

Clubs produce players, not countries.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:56 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Aspire to be the best. Spain weren't Spain before they became Spain. Its nonsense to suggest its some kind of miracle. You can trace each and every footballing epoch to a plan coming to fruition. If Andy Carroll is our plan, then thank f*ck we aren't trying to emulate them it'd be embarassing.
And that's the point. No point trying to "emulate Spain" if we don't have the players that can. Better off trying to be England and playing to our strengths.

Chelsea didn't sneak past Barca, by trying to out-Barca them.

There is no more "fcuked up logic" than trying to pretend Barry/Gerrard/Parker can play like Iniesta, Xavi and co.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:01 pm

I suspect you're thinking slightly more long-term than BWFCi's post embraced!!

I suspect he was just talking about playing Spain in THIS tournament!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Perhaps we should just concentrate on getting past Ukraine first? Don't get a point there and we're on the plane home.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Perhaps we should just concentrate on getting past Ukraine first? Don't get a point there and we're on the plane home.
I'm not sure whether what we concentrate on in this thread will have much bearing on the Ukraine result...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:14 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Perhaps we should just concentrate on getting past Ukraine first? Don't get a point there and we're on the plane home.
I'm not sure whether what we concentrate on in this thread will have much bearing on the Ukraine result...
Oh, sorry, I thought the thread was Euro 2012. My bad.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

:roll:

So we just try and copy the style of whichever side happens to be winning stuff at the time?

No we try and win it, but with a style that suits our players and where they play.

More than one way to skin a cat. You have to play with the cards you are dealt.
Good thinking. It's been really successful over the last 46 years. Style? Style? what is this style, and when is it going to make English football even competitive?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
:conf: it is! so - it's ok to talk about the possibility of playing Spain, isn't it? what's the problem?? :conf:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:07 pm

You'd think it was Photoshopped.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:42 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
:conf: it is! so - it's ok to talk about the possibility of playing Spain, isn't it? what's the problem?? :conf:
There is no "problem" and the talk wasn't of playing Spain but playing football like them. My comment was based on that we won't do that now, possibly never, but certainly not in this tournament and that we should concetrate on playing as well as we can against Ukraine or none of it will matter anyway.