Rangers are liquidated

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Rangers are liquidated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:08 pm

I Just wish they'd been vapourised..................................

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Relentless09 wrote:The way I see it is, the problem was caused by a greedy few, it's not the fans, players or the majority of staffs fault, they shouldn't be punished. Put it this way if our 100 million debt wasn't owed to Eddie we would probably be in the same situation with liquidation. At the end of the day they are one of the biggest names in the UK with huge support from all over the world and the chances of them slipping away into nothing is slim
Bobo beat me to it, and yes you're right, it's none of these people's fault, but on the other side, fans of every other team in the country have been cheated for 20+ years, and there's a damned site more of them than there are Huns, not that the numbers involved shouyld cary any weight whatsoever.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:24 pm

fatshaft wrote: Bobo beat me to it, and yes you're right, it's none of these people's fault, but on the other side, fans of every other team in the country have been cheated for 20+ years, and there's a damned site more of them than there are Huns, not that the numbers involved shouyld cary any weight whatsoever.
I keep hearing how Rangers have cheated, which I don't necessarily doubt, but I am ignorant of the facts. Is there a decent article knocking around that gives a precis of the situation?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
fatshaft wrote: Bobo beat me to it, and yes you're right, it's none of these people's fault, but on the other side, fans of every other team in the country have been cheated for 20+ years, and there's a damned site more of them than there are Huns, not that the numbers involved shouyld cary any weight whatsoever.
I keep hearing how Rangers have cheated, which I don't necessarily doubt, but I am ignorant of the facts. Is there a decent article knocking around that gives a precis of the situation?
Yes please tell how they have cheated.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:10 pm

I think the context would be if they were to be allowed to continue as before unfettered. Then the previous 20 years would be tarnished. If, however, there was a significant, commensurate punishment (including, but not exclusive to relegation) in line with the rules as presented, then I'm not sure anyone can say they have cheated.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:17 am

Basically was the whole situation not brought to light because of Craig Whytes failures ? I doubt Rangers have been in serious debt for the last 20+ years. The money was there and these 'dual contracts' prove that and even though that's illegal, it's not cheating as it doesn't give an advantage in playing terms ? The damage was done by a few and Whyte being inept made the whole thing become public

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:28 am

Relentless09 wrote:Basically was the whole situation not brought to light because of Craig Whytes failures ? I doubt Rangers have been in serious debt for the last 20+ years. The money was there and these 'dual contracts' prove that and even though that's illegal, it's not cheating as it doesn't give an advantage in playing terms ? The damage was done by a few and Whyte being inept made the whole thing become public
Of course it was, instead of paying PAYE, they kept that money (rememeber that will be at the top tax rate of 40/50% whichever was in effect at the time) and paid their players a second contract, effectviely doubling what they could actually afford.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1142 ... ish-soccer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:48 am

fatshaft wrote:
Relentless09 wrote:Basically was the whole situation not brought to light because of Craig Whytes failures ? I doubt Rangers have been in serious debt for the last 20+ years. The money was there and these 'dual contracts' prove that and even though that's illegal, it's not cheating as it doesn't give an advantage in playing terms ? The damage was done by a few and Whyte being inept made the whole thing become public
Of course it was, instead of paying PAYE, they kept that money (rememeber that will be at the top tax rate of 40/50% whichever was in effect at the time) and paid their players a second contract, effectviely doubling what they could actually afford.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1142 ... ish-soccer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which means they could afford more & better players than their means ought to have allowed & so were more competitive than they should have been.

Hence gaining access to greater funding.

Further, they didn't declare any of this when challenged, preferring to admit to only that which was undeniable. They therefore pretended matters were far less bad than they were.

Even buyers backed out when they got to the books as they saw the extent of the exposure and the unpaid tax-bills alone accounted for more than the turn-over of most of the rest of Scotch football alone.

This was all done quite knowingly, not just bad luck or a bad economic wind. Fraud on a grand scale.

Their defence appears to be "it wasn't the fans fault .... & there are so many of them ...& we're an institution" followed by veiled threats about the impact of their demise on other clubs.

Fck, anyone who can act in a way which allows the geezer from Hearts to claim the moral high ground is some piece of work.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:11 pm

It's sad to see any football club being liquidated and if it wasn't for Eddie that 100million debt could see us fall. The fact that it's Glasgow Rangers makes people feel like its right for them to enjoy this. Yes it is a cliché but the fans don't deserve it and either do the regular employees. It's not their fault that greedy individuals wanted money and success.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:11 pm

Relentless09 wrote:It's sad to see any football club being liquidated and if it wasn't for Eddie that 100million debt could see us fall. The fact that it's Glasgow Rangers makes people feel like its right for them to enjoy this. Yes it is a cliché but the fans don't deserve it and either do the regular employees. It's not their fault that greedy individuals wanted money and success.
Feck 'em. C'mon Celtic!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Relentless09 wrote:It's sad to see any football club being liquidated and if it wasn't for Eddie that 100million debt could see us fall. The fact that it's Glasgow Rangers makes people feel like its right for them to enjoy this. Yes it is a cliché but the fans don't deserve it and either do the regular employees. It's not their fault that greedy individuals wanted money and success.
Feck 'em. C'mon Celtic!
Frankly, I'd love to see them dragged into it as well.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:17 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Feck 'em. C'mon Celtic!
Frankly, I'd love to see them dragged into it as well.
You and lots of others no doubt. :-)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:10 pm

If they're allowed into division 3 as a new club, at least a lot of money will flow into the coffers of your Peterheads & Brechins etc I do wonder though how East Stirling will get on hosting 4 or 5000 travelling Huns twice a year.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:If they're allowed into division 3 as a new club, at least a lot of money will flow into the coffers of your Peterheads & Brechins etc I do wonder though how East Stirling will get on hosting 4 or 5000 travelling Huns twice a year.
Well, I'm sure the same was asked of say Macclesfield when they were hosting Man City in the league a few years back. Not a bad problem for these clubs to have, I say. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Yes of course the fact it's Rangers (and if it was Celtic) makes it highly enjoyable, when if it was any other club, it would indeed be the disaster that the Weegie media have tried unsuccessfully to portray.

The fact the fans don't deserve it (highly debateable when you consider whom we are talking about here) does not matter, as already stated, the fans of other clubs did not deserve to be unwittingly paying to be cheated for 20 years. Being exiled to the lower leagues for just 3 years is the minimum recompense that should be endured.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:If they're allowed into division 3 as a new club, at least a lot of money will flow into the coffers of your Peterheads & Brechins etc I do wonder though how East Stirling will get on hosting 4 or 5000 travelling Huns twice a year.
Well, I'm sure the same was asked of say Macclesfield when they were hosting Man City in the league a few years back. Not a bad problem for these clubs to have, I say. ;)
Exactly Bruce, and yet do you know how many amongst the Scottish media have highlighted how good this is for Scottish Football? Well that would be none of them, because all their talk of 'good of the game' etc, is self preservation, the weegie rags sell very little outside weegia itself, without the constant bigot fest to stir up, they'll be looking for new jobs, and THAT is what the press fever and fury has been all about.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Looks like they won't be in the SPL next season.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:29 am

The whole thing is a farce now with the "senior men in Scottish football" (those who know football no less) are proposing to fix things by allowing the New Rangers into Divison 1 next season (at a price to be paid by the SPL) and not Division 3 where they should be.

The whole thing stinks to me and makes Scotland the armpit of football, but it could very easily happen in England as well as it nearly did to Leeds, Portsmouth, Southampton, etc and is happening to Darlington who are getting no help from those teams above and around them or from the FA.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:48 pm

One has to hope in a quite cruel sense that the same happens to another "Less famous" team in the SPL, or any other league, and see what the "Punishment" will be. Still, as long as it sets a precedent for when another team deliberately sets out to wrongdo, techie term for "Cheat", then everything will be okay. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:44 pm

FaninOz wrote:The whole thing is a farce now with the "senior men in Scottish football" (those who know football no less) are proposing to fix things by allowing the New Rangers into Divison 1 next season (at a price to be paid by the SPL) and not Division 3 where they should be.

The whole thing stinks to me and makes Scotland the armpit of football, but it could very easily happen in England as well as it nearly did to Leeds, Portsmouth, Southampton, etc and is happening to Darlington who are getting no help from those teams above and around them or from the FA.
none of these teams got automatically relegated to the bottom division. strictly, they were not even relegated one division. they were merely deducted a set number (ten ? or so) of points.