John Terrys Court Case

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

John Terrys Court Case

Post by Mar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:23 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... sfeed=true

Maximum fine of £2500?

Looks like this has been blown way out of proportion and dragged on way too long. 23 October 2011 this all started. Probably lost a shed load of money going through the courts and for what, a slap on the wrist and a £2500 fine. Pointless.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Re: John Terrys Court Case

Post by blurred » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:42 pm

The testimony sounds a bit like a Derek and Clive skit at the moment...

Also, be interesting to see what, if anything, the FA do about Terry's admission of using the phrase 'black c*nt' to Ferdinand. 8 game ban's the benchmark for that sort of thing now, isn't it?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:49 pm

blurred wrote:The testimony sounds a bit like a Derek and Clive skit at the moment...

Also, be interesting to see what, if anything, the FA do about Terry's admission of using the phrase 'black c*nt' to Ferdinand. 8 game ban's the benchmark for that sort of thing now, isn't it?
Hang on, you've lost me (leave it ;) )

I thought that Terry was there to plead his innocence, but then you say he amits using that phrase. Surely he doesn't think that that's not a racist term does he? :shock:

Now, tell us about Amanda then?! :P
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Surely (from what I can gather) all he has admitted is saying something along the lines of 'I didn't call you a black c*nt', an admission which in itself surely isn't enough for an FA charge :conf:?

That the court didn't believe him and convicted him may well be.

Wouldn't surprise me if they bottled it and said something along the lines of 'he has already been punished'.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
blurred wrote:The testimony sounds a bit like a Derek and Clive skit at the moment...

Hang on, you've lost me (leave it ;) )

I thought that Terry was there to plead his innocence, but then you say he amits using that phrase. Surely he doesn't think that that's not a racist term does he? :shock:

Now, tell us about Amanda then?! :P
He's admitted to using the phrase, but claims that it was sarcastic and not aimed at abusing Ferdinand (ie, he said something along the lines of 'as if I called you a black c*nt' to explain that he hadn't been racist to him, rather than 'feck off you black c*nt' and racially abusing him, if that makes sense).

Follow DanRoan or TariqPanja on Twitter - it sounds very amusing!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:Surely (from what I can gather) all he has admitted is saying something along the lines of 'I didn't call you a black c*nt', an admission which in itself surely isn't enough for an FA charge :conf:?

That the court didn't believe him and convicted him may well be.

Wouldn't surprise me if they bottled it and said something along the lines of 'he has already been punished'.
FA don't work to the same burden of proof as a criminal court. He could be found innocent by them and guilty by the FA, as they only work to 'the balance of probabilities' rather than 'beyond reasonable doubt'. That the CPS thought there was enough merit in bringing a criminal case suggests to me that they believe that an offence has been committed, which means that the FA should be looking into it (although of course they won't prejudice the criminal case by doing so beforehand). If the CPS hadn't pressed charges then the FA could reasonably say that they didn't think an offence had been committed and that there was no merit in hauling Terry and Ferdinand in to give evidence, but it would be fairly unforgiveable for them not to at least hold their own hearing into it under the circumstances.

I think the FA are likely to bottle it, as you suggest, and not even bring him in front of a panel regardless of the result.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Aye, you'd imagine there is almost certainly enough evidence for the FA if there was for a criminal court. What was Suarez actually charged with, 'bringing the game into disrepute', or is there a specific racism linked charge?

As you say they couldn't do anything before the trial, but they ought to now. Can't see it though.

I still think they were wrong to strip him of the captaincy at the time.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:25 pm

They both sound like two big kids TBH not highly paid professionals, Knobs!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:Aye, you'd imagine there is almost certainly enough evidence for the FA if there was for a criminal court. What was Suarez actually charged with, 'bringing the game into disrepute', or is there a specific racism linked charge?

As you say they couldn't do anything before the trial, but they ought to now. Can't see it though.

I still think they were wrong to strip him of the captaincy at the time.
Specific racism charge - using language directed at an opponent to do with his ethnic/racial background or somesuch. I'll dig up the rule.

As for the captaincy thing, that was another feck up. He either stays as captain (innocent until proven guilty), or he can't play for the team at all (same as in any other job - suspended on full pay pending and investigation). The halfway house caused them no end of bother.

Edit:

"Mr Suarez used insulting words towards Mr Evra during the match contrary to FA Rule E3(1);
- the insulting words used by Mr Suarez included a reference to Mr Evra’s colour within the meaning of Rule E3(2);"
Last edited by blurred on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Indeed, and whichever call was made, it ought to have been Capello's.

If it is a specific racism charge the only problem I could envisage would be the language of the two charges is different enough for them to wriggle out if it. Unlikely though, especially if it is similar to what you have said you remember it as.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:37 pm

E3(2) says that any insulting language including a reference to any one or more of person's ethnic origin, colour, race, nationality, faith, gender, sexual orientation or disability (an "aggravating factor") means that the discplinary committee can consider the imposition of an increased sanction.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:40 pm

blurred wrote:E3(2) says that any insulting language including a reference to any one or more of person's ethnic origin, colour, race, nationality, faith, gender, sexual orientation or disability (an "aggravating factor") means that the discplinary committee can consider the imposition of an increased sanction.
Would that include 'shagging a team mates ex? if so Ferdy could be in a spot of bother :mrgreen:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Hoboh wrote:
blurred wrote:E3(2) says that any insulting language including a reference to any one or more of person's ethnic origin, colour, race, nationality, faith, gender, sexual orientation or disability (an "aggravating factor") means that the discplinary committee can consider the imposition of an increased sanction.
Would that include 'shagging a team mates ex? if so Ferdy could be in a spot of bother :mrgreen:
They're both guilty of E3(1), although if the FA had to haul up each player who called another a fecking this or a cunting that every week there'd be a queue of footballers stretching all the way down Wembley Way every Monday morning.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Nice to see this thread not being used to somehow exhonerate that c*nt Suarez. Yes, we know, he plays for Liverpool. He's still a c*nt.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:05 pm

"Listen mate. I shouldn't have said that, even in temper. It was heat-of-the-moment. I was way out of order and I apologise"

That might just have done it?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:31 pm

It wasn't Ferdinand who reported it to the police though, so no, it wouldn't :D

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:17 am

Hopefully it's just not me but does any body else find it rather funny when on the news it reads out and shows the conversation with the actors voice ?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:45 pm

* "gerry adams" voice*

yes and no

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Ashley Cole character witness..... :lmfao:

Did he bring the air gun or dodgy phone photo's
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:35 am

Listening to the interviews I'd be very, very surprised if he gets convicted. There certainly seems to be reasonable doubt (notwithstanding evidence the court hears we don't). I'm not at all a fan of John Terry the bloke, but he seems genuinely affronted by the suggestion he is a racist (in a way he perhaps didn't about being a philanderer). I'm not convinced he is that good an actor.