Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:22 pm

I see that the Daily Star's lettuce has outlasted Gerrard's time in charge of Villa too.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:40 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:22 pm
I see that the Daily Star's lettuce has outlasted Gerrard's time in charge of Villa too.
Good. Bad manager. You don’t appoint people based on their record in Scotland because it’s entirely meaningless.

Gerrard another big name with no meaningful track record getting a big job they are entirely unqualified and not ready for.

Spend 10 years in the lower league and learn your trade, if you are successful and good it will be way less, and then you can start thinking about managing premiership clubs.

But this over promotion of unqualified dunces just cos they played for a big club is a nonsense.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:40 am

But this over promotion of unqualified dunces just cos they played for a big club is a nonsense.
Absolutely. You'd have thought that people who otherwise tend to excel in business might have cottoned on to this, however, put them in charge of a football club and brains somehow turn to mush.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:57 am

Well another game last night and another win for Arsenal! Can hardly believe myself how well we have been doing so far this season, long way to go but I’m hoping 2023 is our year!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:21 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:57 am
Well another game last night and another win for Arsenal! Can hardly believe myself how well we have been doing so far this season, long way to go but I’m hoping 2023 is our year!
Although I won't be putting any money on it, I have a sneaky feeling that Newcastle are about to spring you a surprise at your place.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:21 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:57 am
Although I won't be putting any money on it, I have a sneaky feeling that Newcastle are about to spring you a surprise at your place.
I fear the wheels will fall off at some point and I wouldn’t be too surprised if it’s Tuesday either. We have a tough run of games in Jan. (Spurs, United and city coming up in next 6 too) should have more of a clue how we are really getting on after that!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:10 pm

Was sorry to hear Mark Overmars has had a stroke. Great player and used to torment our full backs when he played as a left winger fo the Gunners. Wish him well and a speedy recovery.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:10 pm
Was sorry to hear Mark Overmars has had a stroke. Great player and used to torment our full backs when he played as a left winger fo the Gunners. Wish him well and a speedy recovery.
Sounds like it was fairly minor, hope so anyway. Memories of him tormenting Bolton full backs remain a happy memory from my youth! :wink:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:37 pm

Arsenal women have sold 35k tickets for their match at The Emirates against Chelsea in a few weeks time. Cheaper then the mens tickets, yes (£12 adults, £6 children) but an encouraging legacy from the euros of the interest there is in womens football.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:24 pm

Everton 0 Brighton & Hove Albion 4
77 mins
HT 0-1
Mitoma (14'minutes), Ferguson (51'minutes), March (54'minutes), Groß (57'minutes)

Looks like someone might well be getting 'sacked in the morning'. Blimey.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:04 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:24 pm
77 mins
HT 0-1
Mitoma (14'minutes), Ferguson (51'minutes), March (54'minutes), Groß (57'minutes)

Who'd have thought that employing (not very bright) former players as managers of premiership clubs before they've actually shown they can manage was a bad idea?

Exactly the same with Gerrard. Being a top player means nothing. Would Everton employ some former lower league midfield player with a couple of seasons managerial experience and no real success? Of course not. But being called Frank Lampard changes absolutely nothing about your actual managerial ability.

Ian Evatt has demonstrated more managerial ability than Lampard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:27 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:04 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
77 mins
HT 0-1

Who'd have thought that employing (not very bright) former players as managers of premiership clubs before they've actually shown they can manage was a bad idea?

Exactly the same with Gerrard. Being a top player means nothing. Would Everton employ some former lower league midfield player with a couple of seasons managerial experience and no real success? Of course not. But being called Frank Lampard changes absolutely nothing about your actual managerial ability.

Oh I agree 100%. However, the deluded supporters of pseudo 'big clubs' seem to list 'big name' ahead of 'good manager' on their list of requirements.
Newcastle too. Both sets of supporters basically hounded Allardyce out of their respective clubs.
Now look at what Eddie Howe's doing up there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:52 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:27 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:04 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
77 mins
HT 0-1

Oh I agree 100%. However, the deluded supporters of pseudo 'big clubs' seem to list 'big name' ahead of 'good manager' on their list of requirements.
Newcastle too. Both sets of supporters basically hounded Allardyce out of their respective clubs.
Now look at what Eddie Howe's doing up there.
Its reinforced by the media, by club owners and by the supporters themselves as you say.

It blows my mind that its one of the only industries where you are handed the keys to a senior managerial position without any actual experience, skills or knowledge.

Its the equivalent of the CEO of tesco being appointed cos 'they've done well stacking shelves for the last ten years'.

Absolute nonsense.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:17 pm

As Arrigo Sacchi had it: I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.

Though I'd quibble on Lampard being not very bright (generally). As footballers go he's one of the cleverer ones. They isn't saying much generally but given the vast majority of football managers are ex players...

I'm not sure he's particularly bright in a football sense though, but there's part of the rub. Football intelligence is very hard to measure.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:17 pm
As Arrigo Sacchi had it: I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.

Though I'd quibble on Lampard being not very bright (generally). As footballers go he's one of the cleverer ones. They isn't saying much generally but given the vast majority of football managers are ex players...

I'm not sure he's particularly bright in a football sense though, but there's part of the rub. Football intelligence is very hard to measure.
If you compare him to say, Klinsmann or Mourinho or Gary Neville or Guardiola etc - I'd say he comes across quite a bit below that sort of level obviously a ways above the likes of Shearer et al... Not that of course how you come across is necessarily a measure of football intelligence as you say. Which I think is really managerial intelligence which is about knowing how to build teams and build organisational spirit and DNA. You can't measure it. Which is why its even more crazy to appoint these people into jobs like Everton before they've had a decade of managerial experience and demonstrated their success. Sure every so often you'll strike gold but the odds are very much against you.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:07 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:34 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:10 pm
Sounds like it was fairly minor, hope so anyway. Memories of him tormenting Bolton full backs remain a happy memory from my youth! :wink:
Remember Arsene Wenger..." Fxxxxxx Bolton..!" :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:22 pm

Arsenal 3 Oxford United 0 in the F.A.CUP. For 64 minutes a neutral could be excused for wondering which was the Premier side. After that it all went a bit pear-shaped. Noticed a Wildschutt in the Oxford side. Commentator said you wouldn't think Oxford were 15th in Division One.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:30 pm

Everton directors not attending today's match due to a "credible threat to their safety" world's gone mad.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:30 pm
Everton directors not attending today's match due to a "credible threat to their safety" world's gone mad.
Ahh, that unique blend of warmth, hospitality and wit gushing to the fore there. They gave the world The Beatles, don't you know?! :roll:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:56 pm

Found myself cheering a United goal today. I feel dirty.