Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:21 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:25 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:54 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:07 pm

I can't remember what the clauses we still have regarding Holding are, so I've no idea if we'll get anything if he goes this window.
Ken cashed them all in early didn't he?

Those 2 games Arsenal have to play v City are going to be nervy for you GG!
Every game is nervy at the moment. Everton have lost their manager and we play them next in the league. You just know they will win against us now!
The advantage Arsenal have right now is they are playing with nothing to lose. They are way above expectation so they have that attitude of playing with freedom.

If it tightens up towards the backend that may change but who knows?

Its a great watch as Arsenal and City are superb teams and City have slipped and struggled a bit more than expected and Arsenal have completely exceeded what anyone expected.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:21 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:25 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:54 pm

Those 2 games Arsenal have to play v City are going to be nervy for you GG!
Every game is nervy at the moment. Everton have lost their manager and we play them next in the league. You just know they will win against us now!
The advantage Arsenal have right now is they are playing with nothing to lose. They are way above expectation so they have that attitude of playing with freedom.

If it tightens up towards the backend that may change but who knows?

Its a great watch as Arsenal and City are superb teams and City have slipped and struggled a bit more than expected and Arsenal have completely exceeded what anyone expected.
I think all Arsenal fans have daydreamed about us winning the league now but even if we finish second to City, it will still have been a season that surpassed all gooners expectations and a huge step forwards with a young team, so keeping some perspective here and just trying to enjoy it game by game. I’m kind of resigned to City overtaking us at some point (get a few injuries and we are stuffed) but I’d be a bit gutted if anyone else finished above us now! As you say though, we play with far less expectation on us then City which helps.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:02 pm

It'll also depend how much more Arsenal can do by the end of the window. There's a lot more to come from this City side in terms of their maximum output. Arsenal are humming along at just about full throttle.

Arteta is doing a brilliant job, but he's in a more fragile position than Pep. Will be a fascinating run in.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:50 pm

Superb F.A.Cup game tonight, worthy of the final.. City won 1-0 but it was a shame either side had to lose. Well matched in skill and talent and Arsenal have surely marched on. Haarlen was kept quiet tonight by some great defending, as were both sides. Man of the match hands down for me was Jack Grealish. What an intelligent and skilled footballer he really is. He made the goal and with Kevin de Bruen was everywhere. A real feast of a football match. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:59 pm

Never going to not love Parky….absolutely brilliant guy.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:27 pm

Can't help but think Wrexham might struggle next year should they get promoted, though. Haven't they basically gone "money no object" to get back into the Football League? Gonna be all sorts of financial regs they'll need to abide by next time out.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:59 pm
I went to get food out of the oven and missed two goals. Mad game.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:36 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:27 pm
Can't help but think Wrexham might struggle next year should they get promoted, though. Haven't they basically gone "money no object" to get back into the Football League? Gonna be all sorts of financial regs they'll need to abide by next time out.
Their average attendance at home is higher than all league two clubs bar Bradford. So they will probably be ok with the turnover rules.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:37 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:59 pm
I went to get food out of the oven and missed two goals. Mad game
It was a brilliant game of football. Wrexham probably would have won bar the injuries. Defensively struggled without those two.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:37 pm

Absolute cracker. Sickener in the end for them. Every time I see them they are shite at defending set pieces, which is unexpected!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:40 pm

Regarding today's footy - still not sure how Liverpool finished with 11 men. Should have had two straight reds and a second yellow. Had those happened the other way around you can be sure Brighton would have lost at least one player.

I enjoyed Klopp's "I'm not as good a manager as some think, but I'm not as bad as some say" bit. Taken a lot of the oxygen and covered his players a bit. Very difficult transition they are having.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:22 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:40 pm
Regarding today's footy - still not sure how Liverpool finished with 11 men. Should have had two straight reds and a second yellow. Had those happened the other way around you can be sure Brighton would have lost at least one player.

I enjoyed Klopp's "I'm not as good a manager as some think, but I'm not as bad as some say" bit. Taken a lot of the oxygen and covered his players a bit. Very difficult transition they are having.
Maybe he should have seen they had the worst midfield of any premiership winning side and done something about it.

Think they will struggle now. United are sorting themselves out. Chelsea are buying anything that moves and Arsenal have gone way past them. Klopp isn’t good enough to compensate for their lack of resources.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:22 pm

Maybe he should have seen they had the worst midfield of any premiership winning side and done something about it.

Think they will struggle now. United are sorting themselves out. Chelsea are buying anything that moves and Arsenal have gone way past them. Klopp isn’t good enough to compensate for their lack of resources.
They have put everything into trying to secure Bellingham to build around for about 15 years. To be able to finance that deal they have ad to fudge a few things, as they've also had to do the forward deals they've had as long term plans when they came up. They had hoped to do Bellingham this season, but couldn't, so they did the forward line.

If Bellingham goes to Madrid, or an English rival, they will have shot themselves in the foot; but on their budgets that's the only way to get generational talent.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:22 pm

They have put everything into trying to secure Bellingham to build around for about 15 years. To be able to finance that deal they have ad to fudge a few things, as they've also had to do the forward deals they've had as long term plans when they came up. They had hoped to do Bellingham this season, but couldn't, so they did the forward line.

If Bellingham goes to Madrid, or an English rival, they will have shot themselves in the foot; but on their budgets that's the only way to get generational talent.
Yeah but that’s a bit late.

You could see this problem two years ago.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:13 pm
Yeah but that’s a bit late.

You could see this problem two years ago.
They've tried to fix it a couple of times, but couldn't compete for the players they wanted. Liverpool only want to spend once per position, because of that financial gap you mentioned. They are prepared to lose ground to get the core of a team they think will give them another 8-10 years at the top.

I don't think they thought it would be this bad, though. The attack has malfunctioned way more than they expected. Losing the CL money would be big for them and they'd probably not get Bellingham. They may well not anyway.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:29 pm

Wonderful moments in the career of Sean Longstaff.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:39 pm

Spare a thought for Everton tonight. Bottom three. Just sold their best player. Only club in top flight to make no signings in January. Pretty dire stuff. Doesn’t look like they are getting anyone tonight either despite bidding for half the worlds players.

Did get Dyche though which is an excellent appointment. But still…

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:04 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:39 pm
Spare a thought for Everton tonight. Bottom three. Just sold their best player. Only club in top flight to make no signings in January. Pretty dire stuff. Doesn’t look like they are getting anyone tonight either despite bidding for half the worlds players.

I do wonder how McNeil will feel having told half the world that Dyche's football didn't let him perform to his best.

Also wonder if Everton will be stupid enough to sack Dyche if he can't keep them up.

If Sean was expecting players in as part of his signing agreement he won't be shy there, either.

It should benefit him hugely that he has a number of former players there who get how his methods work (assuming everyone is on good terms, which they should be). Gut feeling is he keeps them up. He's managed to get by with less firepower than they have before and he should be able to at least earn them a few clean sheets.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:59 am

I think with Dyche they've thought - who, other than Sam Allardyce, can do the work of Sam Allardyce?

Their opinion of themselves is laughable.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:39 pm

FVCK 'em. :mrgreen: