Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:40 am

thebish wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:How come Raheem Sterling runs like there's something wrong with him? He looks like somebody else is in control of his arms.
are you suggesting he needs to be taught how to run?? if so - dangerous ground my friend! :D
mmmmmm .... you could be onto something there. I know a man who can help. I don't think h's doing much right now.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Caro-Kann
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caro-Kann » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:40 am

England played well and thoroughly deserved their win, absolute peach of a ball in for the first goal. Scotland only really became a threat during the final fifteen minutes and I hoped Robertson's goal (Sterling might as well have been a ghost for all the use he was) might produce a late albeit undeserverd equaliser. Obviously disappinted to lose to the English but the priority was 3pts from the RoI game on the Friday night. If I had the misfortune of having been born in England :P I'd be quite optimistic of the prospects of my national team.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:55 am

I understand that fans chants can be aggravating ... & sometimes antagonistic. In a way they are intended to be .... but it can get out of control.

However "English FA apologise for anti-IRA singing during Scotland game.
... some of the 5,000 away fans (sang an) anti-IRA chant. Police Scotland reported .... they had not received any reports of offensive chants".

Apologising for fans they don't control singing a song in opposition to a murdering, terrorist organisation. Interesting.

May I take this opportunity to say "Hey, Hitler, sorry for all the jokes. I know you actually did have two balls and that you were an animal loving vegetarian and really nice to Eva, especially toward the end".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:50 pm

I'm awaiting a knock on the door by the old bill because I once said those Islamic State chaps were a right bunch of bastards
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:55 pm

I've had a word with Fatshaft and we've agreed that it was that bastard John Lennon. He wrote the fecking thing in the first place.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:57 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I understand that fans chants can be aggravating ... & sometimes antagonistic. In a way they are intended to be .... but it can get out of control.

However "English FA apologise for anti-IRA singing during Scotland game.
... some of the 5,000 away fans (sang an) anti-IRA chant. Police Scotland reported .... they had not received any reports of offensive chants".

Apologising for fans they don't control singing a song in opposition to a murdering, terrorist organisation. Interesting.

May I take this opportunity to say "Hey, Hitler, sorry for all the jokes. I know you actually did have two balls and that you were an animal loving vegetarian and really nice to Eva, especially toward the end".
and why the feck is rule brittania being slagged off by right on types ?

i dont get that . seems like people miss its point. apologizing for perceived slights.

*plays radio 4 theme*

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Not a great weekend for the refs, or young English players!

If I were in charge there'd be phone-calls and bans for Barkley, Wilshere, Moses (again - and I know he's Nigerian but he's been here since he's 11 so I'm counting him!) Tomkins and possibly Sterling. Maybe Vertonghen too. Too much tarting about.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:02 am

On Sunday I positively didn't watch England Wimmin v Germany Wimmin in a running around like girls contest.

Regrettably I'll be having to avoid various BBC channels during June /July next year as something called 'The Wimminz World Cup' will be shown exhaustively as the BEEB mix up the two issues of being right-on with the fact that they have next to f'call quality sport to fill their airwaves.

If I want to see people who can't jump and can't throw in arenas which are too large for them in front of miniscule crowds I'd go and watch the kiddies on the local park after school while holding a sign saying "I'm not a perv, honest".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:57 am

bobo the clown wrote:On Sunday I positively didn't watch England Wimmin v Germany Wimmin in a running around like girls contest.

to be fair, though - despite the big build-up - I haven't yet managed to catch even a peep of reaction to it on R5 - and I had R5 on for a fair chunk of sunday morning as I got up and drove an hour to Sidmouth and an hour back - nor was it mentioned this morning as part of their weekend of sports roundup..

did we lose or summat?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:36 pm

City score off a penalty, leading Bayern by one goal and Bayern with ten men. Now, losing 2-1 at half-time. :?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 pm

City win 3-2.
Hope is what keeps us going.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Turned out a spanking game. Bags of physical but some cracking football and brilliant finishing by Aguero. Hardly noticed Bayern had only ten but their compacency at 2-1 up cost them a bit in the end. Despite their clever possession they didn't really thereaten City's goal second half. Ribery with that beard looked your quintessential terrorist villain. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Was watching West Brom v City whilst looking at updates from our game. Decent snow storm during the game! Wonder what it's like to play in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:51 pm

Vertigo wrote:Was watching West Brom v City whilst looking at updates from our game. Decent snow storm during the game! Wonder what it's like to play in.
Fcking cold. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Vertigo wrote:Was watching West Brom v City whilst looking at updates from our game. Decent snow storm during the game! Wonder what it's like to play in.
Not as bad as hailstone though, which is fecking cold and fecking hurts. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Ahh good spot and very true! :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Ahh good spot and very true! :-)
I once played a game on a pitch on top of the moors overlooking Darwen (up from Walkersteel, if anyone knows it) and the hail (the size of golf balls, obviously ;) ) came at us almost horizontally. Never before or since have I seen or heard as many grown men whimpering, and I freely admit that I was one of 'em. :oops:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Yaya Toure's goal!! :shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:44 pm

This youth Harry Kane at Spurs. He appears to be the real deal, this lad. Superb.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:This youth Harry Kane at Spurs. He appears to be the real deal, this lad. Superb.
According to the Chelski fans in the guardian comments it was all Cahill's fault (or Putins) that they lost :mrgreen: