Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by ChrisC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:34 pm

3-1.. Really looking good Chelsea.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:41 pm

I sense this is going to be a long hard season for Burnley.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I sense this is going to be a long hard season for Burnley.
I don't know, they gave Chelsea a bit to worry about early on. Lesser sides like QPR, Stoke or Man U may have crumbled. Could have just been an early adrenaline rush though.

Agree on the 2nd Chelsea goal. The footwork by Hazard, the movement by Schurle and the exquisite pass by Fabregas. Great to see
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:04 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
I don't know, they gave Chelsea a bit to worry about early on. Lesser sides like QPR, Stoke or Man U may have crumbled. Could have just been an early adrenaline rush though.

Agree on the 2nd Chelsea goal. The footwork by Hazard, the movement by Schurle and the exquisite pass by Fabregas. Great to see
In a Chelsea shirt? No its not! :evil:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:18 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I know it must be galling to see as a Gooner but you have only Wenger to blame that he'll not be doing that kind of thing in an Arsenal shirt this season. To be fair to him too, he probably wants to win things as well :wink:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 pm

we have the good sense to break all of our players before we move them on! :wink:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I know it must be galling to see as a Gooner but you have only Wenger to blame that he'll not be doing that kind of thing in an Arsenal shirt this season. To be fair to him too, he probably wants to win things as well :wink:
He's probably well jealous of our Charity Shield... 8) :P

And to be fair, we did have first option on him I believe and you're right, Wenger said No. Head won over heart. We DO have an abundance of quality players in his position, we didn't need him back. if the budget is limited I'd rather it be spent on players we do need. A decent defensive mid, another striker, couple more defender's...

Doesn't mean it doesn't gall to see him in a Chelsea shirt though. Sods law he will score a winner against us this season. :(

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:31 pm

thebish wrote:we have the good sense to break all of our players before we move them on! :wink:
There's a scrapyard somewhere full of injured, depressed, scarred for life ex Bolton players?!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:we have the good sense to break all of our players before we move them on! :wink:
There's a scrapyard somewhere full of injured, depressed, scarred for life ex Bolton players?!
aye - it's called West Ham...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:41 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
aye - it's called West Ham...
:lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:41 pm

Speaking of which, here comes Marvin!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:34 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

He's probably well jealous of our Charity Shield... 8) :P

And to be fair, we did have first option on him I believe and you're right, Wenger said No. Head won over heart. We DO have an abundance of quality players in his position, we didn't need him back. if the budget is limited I'd rather it be spent on players we do need. A decent defensive mid, another striker, couple more defender's...

Doesn't mean it doesn't gall to see him in a Chelsea shirt though. Sods law he will score a winner against us this season. :(

Not many better midfielders than Fabregas.. not many better players come to think of it! If I was an Arsenal fan, I would swap ANY of the Arsenal players for him. Ozil is a class act but I would have Fabregas over him and Fabregas was cheaper!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Yep, when you're offered a player better than all the ones you've got, for a steal, I don't get the logic in not buying him. Ozil wasn't what you needed position-wise last year, but he was a top player available.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:02 pm

You had one job, and one job only - you thick c*nt :D

May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:05 pm

Yes, in an ideal world we would have him back, I'd have loved to see him back in an Arsenal shirt and its sucks big time he went to Chelsea but if we had paid £27mil for him then would we have bought Sanchez? And I think our need for a striker was FAR more pressing then that for another midfielder. I think we have a lot of players in midfield, Ozil, Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla to name a few that are either better, on a par or slightly weaker then Fabregas but really, up front our realistic options consisted of Giroud, Podolski and Sanogo. Not enough fire power IMHO. I'd have taken a decent striker over a decent midfielder any day. Would have been nice to have had both though :(

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Yes, in an ideal world we would have him back, I'd have loved to see him back in an Arsenal shirt and its sucks big time he went to Chelsea but if we had paid £27mil for him then would we have bought Sanchez? And I think our need for a striker was FAR more pressing then that for another midfielder. I think we have a lot of players in midfield, Ozil, Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla to name a few that are either better, on a par or slightly weaker then Fabregas but really, up front our realistic options consisted of Giroud, Podolski and Sanogo. Not enough fire power IMHO. I'd have taken a decent striker over a decent midfielder any day. Would have been nice to have had both though :(
You are crazy if you think any of your midfield is better than Fabregas :lol:

Fabregas has been away for years and is still around the top of the assists records :lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Yes, in an ideal world we would have him back, I'd have loved to see him back in an Arsenal shirt and its sucks big time he went to Chelsea but if we had paid £27mil for him then would we have bought Sanchez? And I think our need for a striker was FAR more pressing then that for another midfielder. I think we have a lot of players in midfield, Ozil, Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla to name a few that are either better, on a par or slightly weaker then Fabregas but really, up front our realistic options consisted of Giroud, Podolski and Sanogo. Not enough fire power IMHO. I'd have taken a decent striker over a decent midfielder any day. Would have been nice to have had both though :(
I think while he's been away you've forgotten quite how good he is! You are crying out for a striker though. And why he keeps persisting with the frankly shite Sanogo over the very good if not quite brilliant Giroud is beyond me.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:41 pm

Am not denying he is a great player and in an ideal world of course I would have him back but he's at the peak of his powers, I reckon better is yet to come from Ozil, Wilshere and Ramsey and whilst Fabregas gets tons of assists, his goal scoring record is pretty poor compared to the likes of Ramsey. It's not that I didn't want him, I just think we needed a striker far more. Sanogo (despite a good 4 goals in one game pre-season) is nowhere near world class. I don't know why Wenger persists with him either. :crazy:

I know you lot all write us off but I really think we are in with a good shout this season of the league title.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:03 am

Aw bless :D.

I think you'll be third, but miles behind City and Chelsea.

As for Fabregas, his goal-scoring record at Barca was nearly 1 in 3. He scored 9 more goals for Barca than Ozil did in 9 more games for Madrid. When you say 'the likes of Ramsey', I'm assuming you just mean 'Ramsey'! His goalscoring record is roughly a million times better than Cazorla and our Jack's too. And then there's the not to be dismissed assists.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:04 am

I'm quite happy for everyone to write us off. Wouldn't want to be favourites anyway. Agree City and Chelsea will be our real competition. Last season we received several thrashing from top sides, if we can avoid that this season I think we will be there or thereabouts, injuries and who Wenger buys dependant! I know it was pre-season but we beat City 3-0 in the Shield. Promising start.