Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:10 pm
I hear that San Marino's goalie played well, so, given that our current incumbent is about to be wheeled away in a bath chair, and those in line are considered more of a risk in goal than Harry Brockbank, I thought I'd do some scouting and read his Wiki page.

Elia Benedettini
25 YO
Plays for some Italian feeder club
Can't be any worse than Billy Cretin

Looking good :)
He was actually the difference from us getting a panful. He made a few really good top-drawer saves. Our own goalie (Pope) I think touched the ball twice all game.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:02 pm

A glance at the result of this evening's result from the world Cup qualifier between Ireland and Luxembourg should provide a nice bit of amusement to round off the evening.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:32 pm

England beat Albania today 2-0, but found them tougher than expected. Great headed goal from Harry Kane, and he hit the woodwork twice. Poland and Lewandowski on Wednesday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 pm

One to grind out, given they left the grass knee height. Not a great game.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:25 am

England/Poland tonight. Expecting a real tough test,

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:16 pm

Lewandowski ruled out through injury. Bad for him, good for us. He's scored something like 40 goals in all games this season. Wish him a quick recovery.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:04 am

Really enjoyed the game against Poland. A tough, physical side that we did well to dominate for a fair amount of time. They went for the rough man marking hassle approach and were always dangerous looking when they did have possession, our lads were up for it. Stones had one careless moment (he knew it and looked gutted) but everybody has one occasionally. I like him and Maguire together. Maguire's goal was a cracker. A tough test that we handled very well.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:29 pm

Watched two women's international foot ball matches this last week, England v France and Canada.(friendlies) They lost both and looked pretty second rate, although they were without captain Steph Houghton and several key players. Phil Neville did pretty well for them last year but he's left now replaced by a female ex-player. The two goals they gave away to Canada were a pure joke and they look a shadow of the previous teams although most of the players are the same. Buck up ladies, you're not looking so good.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 02, 2021 10:20 pm

United fans today. In normal times I'd be cheering them on whilst hoping they do enough to get a points deduction. But have they not heard there's a pandemic on? Worse than the scousers.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun May 02, 2021 11:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:20 pm
United fans today. In normal times I'd be cheering them on whilst hoping they do enough to get a points deduction. But have they not heard there's a pandemic on? Worse than the scousers.
Absolutely behind their right to protest - as fans of other clubs, including my own, have, but a step too far today. Idiots. Not that I expect much from United fans.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 03, 2021 9:29 am

I was reading about some moral, justified protests but then switched on my TV to see a bunch of self entitled thugs kicking off, most of whom wouldn't be bothering if they weren't having their arses kicked again by Peps City.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 03, 2021 10:39 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:16 pm

Absolutely behind their right to protest - as fans of other clubs, including my own, have, but a step too far today. Idiots. Not that I expect much from United fans.
Notwithstanding anyone's right to protest, what we have here is a bunch of thugs rallying against the intricacies of their club's financial structuring, as if any of the loutish pricks have even the most basic understanding about any of it. The Glazer's have sanctioned player transfers since 2010 to a value only surpassed by Man City - that that money has been given to inadequate managers appointed by Ed Woodward and subsequently spaffed on overpriced players of insufficient ability doesn't point to the club being pillaged by its owners, not to me anyway.

I see that the club's current value is £4.123B. If they want to buy the Glazers out and do a better job then that's only a couple of Quid each to their MASSIVE support base, isn't it?! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 3:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:39 am
Gooner Girl wrote:

Notwithstanding anyone's right to protest, what we have here is a bunch of thugs rallying against the intricacies of their club's financial structuring, as if any of the loutish pricks have even the most basic understanding about any of it. The Glazer's have sanctioned player transfers since 2010 to a value only surpassed by Man City - that that money has been given to inadequate managers appointed by Ed Woodward and subsequently spaffed on overpriced players of insufficient ability doesn't point to the club being pillaged by its owners, not to me anyway.

I see that the club's current value is £4.123B. If they want to buy the Glazers out and do a better job then that's only a couple of Quid each to their MASSIVE support base, isn't it?! :D
Their actions yesterday aside they’ve been protesting against the Glazers for a long time and mainly down the the levels of debt they’ve introduced into the club. I don’t disagree with what you say. The idea that someone is going to come in and run them in profit as a generous benefactor is absurd. But it’s a long running thing and not just about the fact they haven’t won anything meaningful in a while.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2021 3:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:18 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Their actions yesterday aside they’ve been protesting against the Glazers for a long time and mainly down the the levels of debt they’ve introduced into the club. I don’t disagree with what you say. The idea that someone is going to come in and run them in profit as a generous benefactor is absurd. But it’s a long running thing and not just about the fact they haven’t won anything meaningful in a while.
I think part of their point was that they professed to be in profit prior to Glazers and now they're £455m in debt...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 03, 2021 4:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

I understand all that, but answer me this - what have Manchester United fans actually lost through having the Glazers in charge? I think you'll find it's nothing.
I also had to laugh at the age of some of the mob-handed cretins rampaging yesterday. Glazers have owned the club for 14 years now - that's most of their lives.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 03, 2021 4:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

I think part of their point was that they professed to be in profit prior to Glazers and now they're £455m in debt...
And worth over £4B.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 7:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

I understand all that, but answer me this - what have Manchester United fans actually lost through having the Glazers in charge? I think you'll find it's nothing.
I also had to laugh at the age of some of the mob-handed cretins rampaging yesterday. Glazers have owned the club for 14 years now - that's most of their lives.
I think it’s how they’ve financed the club and the debt situation. I agree with your real world view but I guess the fans may see the problem occurring when the Glazers go.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 03, 2021 8:52 pm

Any chance they'll be deducted points for failing to get the game played?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon May 03, 2021 8:58 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:52 pm
Any chance they'll be deducted points for failing to get the game played?
Deffo should be chucked out Europa imho! :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 04, 2021 9:59 pm

Unbelievable performance from city tonight. One of the all time great defensive performances from Dias. Never mind best since Rooney, Foden might be the best young English player in my lifetime. Has to start in the Euros.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.