Tony Pulis

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Tony Pulis

Post by ChrisC » Tue May 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Got the bullet at Stoke!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Tony Pulis

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Football is weird.

The Stokies seem to have got bored with his hoofball and a constant "the Worlds against us" Dogs of War style .... I think we've been there. Let's see if it goes as tits-up for them as it did for us.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue May 21, 2013 3:11 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Football is weird.

The Stokies seem to have got bored with his hoofball and a constant "the Worlds against us" Dogs of War style .... I think we've been there. Let's see if it goes as tits-up for them as it did for us.
Hold on just a minute!! Don't the Stoke fans sing "We'll play how we want, We'll play as we waaaaaant, Were Stoke City We'll play how we want"?

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue May 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Didnt he resign?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Stoke fans have been gunning for Pulis for a while now. He showed them the pinnacle, cup final, Europe, mid table safety in the premiership. He hit the proverbial glass ceiling. Very much like Allardyce here. Except disgruntled Bolton fans did not openly turn on Allardyce (I reckon he left 6 months before that might have happened), they just stopped going to matches.

Good luck Stoke. You're gonna need it I suspect.

I hope that in a years time the "careful what you wish for" tagline will apply to them too!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue May 21, 2013 3:25 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Didnt he resign?
We will never know. Sacked or not they would state he has left out of respect for the time he has been at the club.

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wonka » Tue May 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Unbelievable. Stoke will now get what they deserve.

The day Allardyce left Bolton, I predicted we would get relegated within 3 yrs (OK, I was out by 2 yrs).

The same will happen at Stoke. Despite punching above their weight, like us, they take their success for granted.
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue May 21, 2013 4:23 pm

wonka wrote:Unbelievable. Stoke will now get what they deserve.

The day Allardyce left Bolton, I predicted we would get relegated within 3 yrs (OK, I was out by 2 yrs).

The same will happen at Stoke. Despite punching above their weight, like us, they take their success for granted.
Over 100 million pounds spent over the last 3 years I think. Should be punching much higher IMO.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 21, 2013 5:18 pm

ChrisC wrote:Over 100 million pounds spent over the last 3 years I think. Should be punching much higher IMO.
Is that their net spend ?

B-hell, it's risky chasing the dream ... and expensive.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue May 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Nearly a fifth of which went on the world-beaters Peter Crouch and, er, Kenwyne Jones.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue May 21, 2013 5:31 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Over 100 million pounds spent over the last 3 years I think. Should be punching much higher IMO.
Is that their net spend ?

B-hell, it's risky chasing the dream ... and expensive.
Net spend is just under 50 million.

Article here from the end of March makes interesting reading.

http://thinkfootball.co.uk/archives/9117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Good article that.

Not sure I understand the 'be careful what you wish for' comments. Swansea (& others) have shown you dont have to shell out £500 and spend your season with a bad neck watching Huth & Shawcross types kick feck out of anyone who comes near em, while John Waters charges round like his cocks on fire.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue May 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Owen Coyle to get the job and relegate them

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 21, 2013 6:55 pm

jmjhb wrote:Owen Coyle to get the job and relegate them
Well, it won't be Megson, he & Pulis were hewn from the same wood.

I heard they were trying to persuade Phil Neville. Wow, what a risk that would be.

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wonka » Tue May 21, 2013 8:07 pm

I agree with you... they *should* finish a few places higher. But they will still get relegated without Pulis.
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Good article that.

Not sure I understand the 'be careful what you wish for' comments. Swansea (& others) have shown you dont have to shell out £500 and spend your season with a bad neck watching Huth & Shawcross types kick feck out of anyone who comes near em, while John Waters charges round like his cocks on fire.
Nobody can emulate what Swansea did. Not without the years and years of building a profile and style and appointing a series of managers to fit to that style.

It didn't happen overnight.

If Stoke fans think it will, I feel sorry for them. They either give themselves a chance of staying up and carry on with their direct style or go all Sammy Lee and drop like a stone!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 21, 2013 8:29 pm

I just dont buy that because their awful awful brand of football got them up there, their supporters have to be grateful and put up with it forever. Fair enough, it gave them a degree of success but as they were then able to attract better players to the club, couldn't their style be evolved?

One positive thing for Pulis. Thanks to him OC was prevented from spunking £4m on Cameron Jerome
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 21, 2013 9:45 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I just dont buy that because their awful awful brand of football got them up there, their supporters have to be grateful and put up with it forever. Fair enough, it gave them a degree of success but as they were then able to attract better players to the club, couldn't their style be evolved?

One positive thing for Pulis. Thanks to him OC was prevented from spunking £4m on Cameron Jerome
Why should it though? When was the last time Stoke qualified for Europe?

Their fans weren't moaning about the football when getting to finals and finishing mid table for the first time.

Their fans got bored and wanted more like ours did to a lesser extent under Sam.

Interesting to see what they do now.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I just dont buy that because their awful awful brand of football got them up there, their supporters have to be grateful and put up with it forever. Fair enough, it gave them a degree of success but as they were then able to attract better players to the club, couldn't their style be evolved?

Why should it though? When was the last time Stoke qualified for Europe?
2011/12

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 21, 2013 9:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: When was the last time Stoke qualified for Europe?
Oh my giddy aunt. :doh: :lmfao:
May the bridges I burn light your way