Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your England XI

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 11, 2016 6:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:Huge loss for England. Very underrated player who adds a hell of a lot on and off it.
Another Arsenal sick note. Neither he nor Wilshere should be anywhere near the squad.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 12, 2016 2:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:And here he is in Coming to America!

Remember him better in Red Dwarf. Duuuuuuaannee Dibley!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 17, 2016 8:57 am

So, Woy has picked his squad. What would be your starting 11? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36163625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For me....in a 4-2-3-1

Hart
Walker
Smalling
Cahill
Rose

Dier
Drinkwater

Rooney
Alli
Vardy

Kane

I'm not convinced by the balance of that. I'd probably take Rooney or Kane out for a genuine wide player if we had one who looked good enough. But in my view Vardy needs to play. I guess he is more suited to coming from deeper areas than Kane.

Frankly looking at the squad overall it seems very unbalanced to me. Lots of good players in there but very top heavy. Rashford, Kane, Vardy and Sturridge. All good shouts for playing up top and realistically we are only likely to play one genuinely in that role.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Like it. A very England squad that: Bizarre choices at full back (Walker over Clyne, really?!) players out of position Vardy who's spent a whole season terrifying defenders with pace in behind lumped out wide) and Rooney shoved in anywhere.

I'd pick:

Hart

Clyne - Cahill- Smalling - Rose

Henderson - Dier

Sterling - Alli - Barkley

Kane.

Welbs is a massive miss.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:Like it. A very England squad that: Bizarre choices at full back (Walker over Clyne, really?!) players out of position Vardy who's spent a whole season terrifying defenders with pace in behind lumped out wide) and Rooney shoved in anywhere.

I'd pick:

Hart

Henderson - Dier

Kane.

Welbs is a massive miss.
Sterling? Henderson? Barkley?

Drinkwater is 10 times the player Henderson is.

Sterling has been totally exposed and had a dreadful season. Yet you're picking him?

Vardy, has to start after the season he's had. Would be a very "English" decision to leave our league winning striker in the form of his life out.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 17, 2016 1:37 pm

Hyperbole much. I like Drinkwater, a lot, he's been immense all season, but he's got one cap. I'm glad he's in the squad and I'd definitely be using him, but Henderson has been a regular through the whole campaign. It's about picking the best team and in a side that's already got a few players with not many caps I think it's a change too many. No massive problem if we played Drinkwater instead.

That'll be Ross Barkleuy who allied to the unbelievable talent everyone can see he has has also scored 12 goals this season in one of the most poorly managed sides I've ever seen.

Sterling, it'd be great if there was another contender (Welbs would have started instead) but I can't see there is. Sterling is capable of brilliance, hopefully half a season not playing means he's fresh and with something to prove. It's better than lumping out "league winning striker" out on the wing.

I'd love to get Vardy in, but Kane a) is better, b) has scored more c) adds more all round and d) has that partnership with Alli.

Only way to get all three in is the diamond, but I don't like it. And he'd still struggle to crowbar Rooney in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 17, 2016 1:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:Hyperbole much. I like Drinkwater, a lot, he's been immense all season, but he's got one cap. I'm glad he's in the squad and I'd definitely be using him, but Henderson has been a regular through the whole campaign. It's about picking the best team and in a side that's already got a few players with not many caps I think it's a change too many. No massive problem if we played Drinkwater instead.

That'll be Ross Barkleuy who allied to the unbelievable talent everyone can see he has has also scored 12 goals this season in one of the most poorly managed sides I've ever seen.

Sterling, it'd be great if there was another contender (Welbs would have started instead) but I can't see there is. Sterling is capable of brilliance, hopefully half a season not playing means he's fresh and with something to prove. It's better than lumping out "league winning striker" out on the wing.

I'd love to get Vardy in, but Kane a) is better, b) has scored more c) adds more all round and d) has that partnership with Alli.

Only way to get all three in is the diamond, but I don't like it. And he'd still struggle to crowbar Rooney in.
I don't see the point of just throwing shite in for the sake of it. We've discussed Henderson before, I think he's soft shite.

I think it would be ridiculous not to pick two outstanding players from the best English team. It would be crazy. It isn't like Drinkwater and Vardy were bit parts. They were main men in the best team. So for me they are in. I'm not sure the "Kane offers more all round" is true either. Vardy will chase every ball down and has real pace.

There are plenty of contenders to play in a 3 behind a striker. Allardyce never worried about sticking Diouf, Davies etc out there who previously had only played as strikers and I'd not worry about it either. I'd rather play them than a £50M flop. I think the squad is unbalanced so we may as well go with our strengths which this time happens to be forwards.

As for Rooney, I'd happily take him out, but that isn't going to happen. So he's either shoehorned in, OR as I would do, he's not in the squad.

We have in Vardy, Kane, Sturridge 3 better options up front. And I'd play 4-2-3-1 so if Rooney can't play in the 3 I don't think he's worth a place as a 4th striker, unless he's considered backup for Alli?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 17, 2016 1:56 pm

I see what this thread is...

BWFCi asks people to name their starting XI - having named his

so Pru obliges

BWFCi then hyperbolically tries to prove how utterly rubbish and disastrous Pru's selection is compared to his own! (repeat to fade)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 17, 2016 2:03 pm

thebish wrote:I see what this thread is...

so Pru obliges

BWFCi then hyperbolically tries to prove how utterly rubbish and disastrous Pru's selection is compared to his own! (repeat to fade)
You're missing where Pru lambasted my choices initially....

But it's a debate. There isn't much football to discuss elsewhere....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 17, 2016 2:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:I see what this thread is...

so Pru obliges

You're missing where Pru lambasted my choices initially....

But it's a debate. There isn't much football to discuss elsewhere....

aye - lets have the summer off! :-)

it wasn't the debate that caught my eye - but the ludicrous hyperbole..
BWFC_Insane wrote:I don't see the point of just throwing shite in for the sake of it.
none of them are "shite"
BWFC_Insane wrote:Drinkwater is 10 times the player Henderson is.

Sterling has been totally exposed and had a dreadful season.
ten times??? "dreadful"?? "totally exposed"?? we've seen plenty of things that those words would properly describe this season - just about every week! We know what those things look like!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 17, 2016 2:15 pm

It is relative. The Pratley's of this world aren't being discussed in terms of playing on the international stage this summer.

What is your team anyhow Bish? Then I can hyperbolically dissect it... *halo*

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 17, 2016 2:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:It is relative. The Pratley's of this world aren't being discussed in terms of playing on the international stage this summer.

What is your team anyhow Bish? Then I can hyperbolically dissect it... *halo*

I can't really summon up the enthusiasm to be arsed! maybe nearer the time... (though - I'd be sorely tempted to leave rooney out altogether.)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 17, 2016 5:03 pm

I actually don't know who half the names mentioned are. A combination of not being a premiership fanboy like you lot and not giving a toss what Rooney et al fail at next.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 18, 2016 8:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:Like it. A very England squad that: Bizarre choices at full back (Walker over Clyne, really?!) players out of position Vardy who's spent a whole season terrifying defenders with pace in behind lumped out wide) and Rooney shoved in anywhere.

I'd pick:

Hart

Henderson - Dier

Kane.

Welbs is a massive miss.
I'd forgotten Lallana. Him in for Sterling.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 18, 2016 9:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:

I'd pick:

Hart

Henderson - Dier

Kane.

Welbs is a massive miss.
I'd forgotten Lallana. Him in for Sterling.
Yeah, Welbs. I wouldn't have Sterlingy in either. Hope that Smallingdini can keep fit though. Word. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 19, 2016 12:33 am

Bloody love welbs! So glad he left United. Best thing that could've happened to him. So likable (and I like ethnics with regional accents anyway - see Khan, Amir and Ameobi, Shola - before how much I love watching him play). Up there with Vards for my favorite current players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 22, 2016 6:27 pm

Going forward England look good. But midfield nowhere near strong enough to protect what looks a very dodgy back four.

Wilshere isn't strong enough and to me shouldn't go. Rose is dodgy defensively. And the centre backs as everyone knows are weak points.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Hoddle: to be fair that was a quality penalty.....

:hang: :hang: :hang:

Christ alive.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 22, 2016 7:00 pm

Now Hoddle has given man of the match to Rose. FFS.

Let's just ignore that Danny Rose has been as wank as piss shall we Glenn?

Fecking hell....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 22, 2016 7:13 pm

Not only given it to Rose, but specifically for his defending! Not sure he said Kane's pen was quality did he? He said it was a positive penalty. We're absolute toss at the back.