Billy Davies, ex Forest manager ... again

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Billy Davies, ex Forest manager ... again

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Apparently, drunkard, bastard and sometime football manager Billy "you think Charlie Wright used a lot of bad kanguage, then you met me" Davies is about to be sacked after a 5-0 loss to fierce local rivals (managed by the man he replaced) Derby ... and an 8 match winless run.

They only gave him a 4 year contract extension in October !!

Now, I hope no-one thinks he'd be a useful replacement for Dougie.

Word is that Neil Warnock is the replace him. (↑↑↑ ditto).
Hasn't SF repeatedly mentioned Billy Davies as being "miles better than Freedman" this season (up until Forest went a bit shit, again, cos that's what Billy Davies' teams do, they almost get promoted season after season but never actually....).

IMO this is the problem. Sack Freedman and I'd say someone like wee Billy would be in the absolute top row section of managers we'd be able to get. I'm not saying he is great but given his experience in this division (of near success, but not quite) and given the difficult job we'd have to offer, I'm not sure there would be many better.

And that is the problem, people think we'll be getting some magician, when frankly the don't exist.
So, some magicians from the last few years...

1) Holloway at Blackpool
2) Coyle at Burnley
3) Adkins at Southampton
4) Rosler's doing ok at Wiggin
5) Dyche looks like he's taking Burnley up
6) Boothroyd's first team managed was Watford
7) McDermott at Reading.

What most of them showed was progress (rather than magic). We currently have a bloke in charge that got us into a playoff place with one game to go last season, since when, we've gone back, faster than an Italian tank.

They might struggle in the Prem, but suggesting they aren't around in the Championship is ludicrous.
There is of course a long list of managers who've taken sides up. I'd not dispute that. Not all of them are great or even good. But there are individual circumstances around every club. Coyle could take Burnley up, but couldn't manage it here or at Wigan. Despite those two clubs having bigger budgets. Dyche may prove similar in that he has one great season but can't replicate it again or elsewhere. Or he may not.

If the requirement is merely to pick someone who has won promotion (somewhere, anywhere) then there is a long list including Davies. Whether they'd do it here or not under the circumstances we're working in is a different question.

If even poor managers can take teams up (which seems to be the indication from some of the names in that list) then I guess the obvious question is why didn't Coyle take us up (seeing as he is on the list) and why hasn't Freedman?
You clearly start to look at other factors than budget then. Maybe right person, right time, right place is equally (or potentially more) important.

The point I was making, which you appear to agree with, is that it doesn't necessarily require a magcian (because some of that list clearly aren't) sometimes not even vast budget (Blackpool hardly had a pot to piss in iirc). We focus on this stability thing, but maybe change is a better fit. At least one of those I listed was on a 12 month rolling contract. That's not too difficult to get out of.

Of the ones that were in place a couple of seasons, you saw progress each season. We're clearly going the other way at the minute.

We don't have to pick a Manager for the Premier League, one who could get us towards the play-offs would be a start...

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:43 am

Stuart Pearce now the new manager.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:38 pm

jaffka wrote:Stuart Pearce now the new manager.
He was talking about this on the radio a couple of nights ago - but was suggesting it wouldn't be until next season...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
He was talking about this on the radio a couple of nights ago - but was suggesting it wouldn't be until next season...

Takes over in August I believe.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:04 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Takes over in August I believe.
Which is weird.

I've always liked Stuart Pearce. I just do.

I liked him all the more when he fckd it up at Citeh. He showed there he's no manager. We'll see next season whether he learnt anything.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:41 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
I did as a player. I've always thought that he's made nothing other than a cock of himself as a manager. I'm glad he's taking over Forest. They'll do feck all next year.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
I did as a player. I've always thought that he's made nothing other than a cock of himself as a manager. I'm glad he's taking over Forest. They'll do feck all next year.
I think Bruce he might just get this gig right tbh.
I think he went in way over his head to begin with.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Well, we'll see of course. However, I just think that there's a weight of expectation based on former glories (I see that Jon McGovern has also been appointed to a senior position) by some fanciful Emirati owners that seem to me to be somewhat unrealistic.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:30 pm

I barely remember him as a player (that Euro '96 is about it) but he's always struck me as a top bloke and a shit manager.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Well, we'll see of course. However, I just think that there's a weight of expectation based on former glories (I see that Jon McGovern has also been appointed to a senior position) by some fanciful Emirati owners that seem to me to be somewhat unrealistic.
You might get a decent half time shawarma to go with your non-alcoholic fruit beer though :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:02 am

Just watching Maniche and again I'm hearing reference to 'Billy Davies off-field antics'. What's he been up to? :conf: