Celtic

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Celtic

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:26 pm

I see Celtic have scabbed their way back in to the chumps league playoffs, having lost 6-1 first time around...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Celtic

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:00 am

↑↑↑ Yes, Leigia Warsaw brought on a player who was suspended. He came on for the last 3 minutes of a tie Celtic lost 6-1. How that materially affected the game I don't know & EUFA have precedence for taking the "no material affect" position.

I suppose it comes down to the bribe size !!

I hope Warsaw appeal.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:57 am

The last club to do this got away with it due to the score being massively in their favour.

If 6-1 isn't massivivive enough then I don't know what is :lol:

Unless its a 4-1 win to Leggydodars from the first leg and Celtic get a 3-0 home win by default? Making it 4-4 on aggregate and Celtic through on away goals? :conf:

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:23 pm

It's a Papist plot!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:31 pm

ChrisC wrote:The last club to do this got away with it due to the score being massively in their favour.

If 6-1 isn't massivivive enough then I don't know what is :lol:

Unless its a 4-1 win to Leggydodars from the first leg and Celtic get a 3-0 home win by default? Making it 4-4 on aggregate and Celtic through on away goals? :conf:

That's exactly how the decision went, Chris C. (File it away for future pub quizzes). :wink:

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Torn on this one. I have Celtic sympathies and Legia DID screw up, but the fact that is was a 6-1 win and the player made no difference in the result makes this punishment seem incredibly unfair.

I suppose it comes down to the fact that Celtic are a much more famous and well supported club, ergo much more profitable for UEFA.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:35 pm

I feel sorry for Legia, it seems to be a tiny error that was overlooked, but I don't think you can bring any undefined notions of 'fairness' or 'sporting spirit' into it. Well, Celtic could, but I don't think UEFA could. Sucks, but the rules are the rules.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:02 pm

... and after their reprieve, they lose to a Slovakian side I'd never heard of. Yes, pub league.

Couldn't be more delighted.

Yet, in the Alice in Wonderland World that is UEFA they STILL merely drop into the Europa league.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".