Pies in administration

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Pies in administration

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:10 pm

Surprised the EFL haven't sent out the fortnightly Wigan press release yet...I mean they only gotta change the date and add a few onto the points deduction...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:25 pm

Presumably waiting to flog any players worth selling when the window opens? Then bang it into admin and cut their losses. If I were them I’d be as worried about the total lack of media attention and apathy. Might end up going to the wall this time. At what point do the EFL make a call on them starting the season?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:39 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:25 pm
Presumably waiting to flog any players worth selling when the window opens? Then bang it into admin and cut their losses. If I were them I’d be as worried about the total lack of media attention and apathy. Might end up going to the wall this time. At what point do the EFL make a call on them starting the season?
Think the bizarre bit, is the bills, currently, keep getting paid, albeit late. With us, it became clear fairly rapidly that they weren't and weren't going to. Our Club didn't put itself into Admin, EDT did, so at the moment other than they're not the Messiah and just naughty boys, I'm not sure there's any mechanism for the EFL to actually do anything much other than what they're currently doing...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:39 pm
Think the bizarre bit, is the bills, currently, keep getting paid, albeit late. With us, it became clear fairly rapidly that they weren't and weren't going to. Our Club didn't put itself into Admin, EDT did, so at the moment other than they're not the Messiah and just naughty boys, I'm not sure there's any mechanism for the EFL to actually do anything much other than what they're currently doing...
Both Markham and Gottmann have walked. That's two of the three man board, with the third being the owners' rep.

As was pretty obvious, there's no money. Their last act was to use available funds to pay as many staff as they could and then they resigned.

There's no money to pay the next round of wages to anyone and certainly not enough to pay the players for the round just missed. The understanding of the staff is they can't cover utilities as things stand.

There's no real cash coming in over the summer, so they're fecked.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:25 pm

Are the bills getting paid? Other than the wages?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:36 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:25 pm
Are the bills getting paid? Other than the wages?
The resignation statement would suggest not. Certainly there seems to be no money left for future bills.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:58 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:39 pm
Both Markham and Gottmann have walked. That's two of the three man board, with the third being the owners' rep.

As was pretty obvious, there's no money. Their last act was to use available funds to pay as many staff as they could and then they resigned.

There's no money to pay the next round of wages to anyone and certainly not enough to pay the players for the round just missed. The understanding of the staff is they can't cover utilities as things stand.

There's no real cash coming in over the summer, so they're fecked.
Yup although they suggest they could reverse that decision if loot turns up...

Who has the popcorn?
Fxy0NfFWYAI4nTa.jpeg
Fxy0NfFWYAI4nTa.jpeg (61.33 KiB) Viewed 6915 times

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:38 pm

Kendrick has no class whatsoever.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:17 pm
Right, but if you believe the statement what it seems to say is that at no stage during this "crisis" have the owners actually coughed up. The club was 500k short of being able to pay all wages, so they couldn't pay the players in May - but the owners didn't cover that. The club was able to come up with the money over time.

That would mean that no money has gone into the club from the owners since March and that they couldn't even find 500k in May when it was needed to avoid a points deduction. Then they couldn't find £2.5m to meet the bond that was due. Now they can't pay the players again.

On that basis, what are the chances of them putting in "8 figures"?

It looks like a number of the staff on the business side are looking for new jobs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:48 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:43 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:17 pm
Right, but if you believe the statement what it seems to say is that at no stage during this "crisis" have the owners actually coughed up. The club was 500k short of being able to pay all wages, so they couldn't pay the players in May - but the owners didn't cover that. The club was able to come up with the money over time.

That would mean that no money has gone into the club from the owners since March and that they couldn't even find 500k in May when it was needed to avoid a points deduction. Then they couldn't find £2.5m to meet the bond that was due. Now they can't pay the players again.

On that basis, what are the chances of them putting in "8 figures"?

It looks like a number of the staff on the business side are looking for new jobs.
The owners injected £2.3M in March according to that statement. And this shows the hole they are in. Surely they can’t be in hock for more than a million a month but seems they are.

What a mess.

And this is a nightmare scenario, no big debts supposedly so admin doesn’t really help them and well it’s June already….

Spent beyond their owners means….absolutely way beyond them. No restraint and they have paid for it now.

For me the EFL have been very lenient. The number of branches here are so high I think it’s golden share withdrawal time.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:48 pm
The owners injected £2.3M in March according to that statement. And this shows the hole they are in. Surely they can’t be in hock for more than a million a month but seems they are.
Their wage bill at last estimate (by the EFL) was about £1.8m a month, company-wide.

Their turnover is is £650k a month.

Even with the estimated reduction in their wage bill they're still over double their income just on wages.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:24 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Their wage bill at last estimate (by the EFL) was about £1.8m a month, company-wide.

Even with the estimated reduction in their wage bill they're still over double their income just on wages.
That T/O looks low. Don't they get ~8m TV dosh in Champo?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:24 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah not having their turnover is that low. It was £8.3M in league one.

So not having that number. Must be over £9M at least. And I suspect a bit higher still.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:24 pm
It's their turnover at League One level, including the recent sponsorship losses. Same reason as adjusting the wage estimate below the 1.8m.

In terms of figuring out how they are remotely sustainable in League One without owners pumping millions in. I personally can't see how they get even close. Even if you factor in asset sales, it just doesn't work.

I assume that's why Markham has walked. There's just no way to keep paying bills.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:10 pm

Certainly looks bleak. Especially with a pretty long retained list...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:10 pm
Maybe not. Sky editor is saying a sale may have been agreed. Set to go through in the next 2 days.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:44 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:16 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:10 pm
Maybe not. Sky editor is saying a sale may have been agreed. Set to go through in the next 2 days.
That the two directors didn’t mention in todays statement? And seemingly knew nothing about? Anything’s possible here I guess but I’m dubious as to how credible this is!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:01 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:44 pm
That the two directors didn’t mention in todays statement? And seemingly knew nothing about? Anything’s possible here I guess but I’m dubious as to how credible this is!
Your guess is as good as mine. I suppose it's equally possible they were told about the sale and have done a performative "moral resignation" bit to try and salvage their reputations.

Some of the grounds staff have quit. Club shop staff have also been looking for new jobs.

So if a takeover is coming it will need to be fast or they'll have basic staffing issues as soon as they walk in.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:28 pm

Seems all too convenient.