The Big Shiny World Cup thread

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: The Big Shiny World Cup thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:36 pm
Drink prices in Qatar World Cup Fan Zone..

Beer 500ml - £11.60
Alcohol free beer 500ml - £7
Water 500ml - £2.30
:shock:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:36 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:52 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Beer 500ml - £11.60
Water 500ml - £2.30
So a bottle of beer is now what was three weeks wages for my Dad. Nice of them to tell people in advance rather than at the bar. The world has officially lost it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:47 pm

Just drink petrol. That's about 45p a litre!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:36 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:52 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Beer 500ml - £11.60
Water 500ml - £2.30
So a bottle of beer is now what was three weeks wages for my Dad. Nice of them to tell people in advance rather than at the bar. The world has officially lost it.
I did wonder if they might be providing water for free..... but then I woke up. 😉
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:41 am

As time goes on I can at least understand the cause and nature of revolutions. Oh, it's okay, I'm too old to be the next Che Guevara, but....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:57 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Beer 500ml - £11.60
Water 500ml - £2.30
Not too dissimilar to Wembley
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:07 pm

Been reading a few facts and opinions and the whole thing is looking decidedly dodgy. Even good old Sepp Blatter isn't very happy.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:07 pm
Been reading a few facts and opinions and the whole thing is looking decidedly dodgy. Even good old Sepp Blatter isn't very happy.
He should be in a pretty good position to recognise dodgy...Both Russia and Quatar were awarded world cups on his watch, regardless of where else he might want to palm the blame (generally to Platini)...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:11 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:57 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Beer 500ml - £11.60
Water 500ml - £2.30
Not too dissimilar to Wembley
You're probably right there, Boris, though it doesn't make it alright.

When we 'played' Stoke there I'd just got back from The Masters. In Augusta, $20 at any one of the on-course food concessions would feed the three of us, each with a generous hot pulled pork sandwich, a pint, crisps (c*nts asked me if I wanted chips? Got me all excited, then handed me crisps :( ) and a moon pie.

A week later and I'm stood at Wembley with a cold slice of the worst pizza I've ever encountered in one hand and a room temperature plastic bottle of Carlsberg in the other, the thick end of £20 out of pocket.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Different kettle of fish at US Sports stadiums now mate. You're paying $30 for a hotdog and a beer

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:07 pm
There's a FIFA Untold Documentary on Netflix that is worth a watch. There wasn't an official that wasn't at it and a few are still there

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:49 am

The good news on beer, is that it's now going to be much more difficult to actually part with any cash, as they've recently announced it won't be on sale at stadiums as Qatar backtracks on what had been agreed. A week before kick-off, that's effectively a ransom note. It wouldn't be too bad, but they're only talking about fcuking Budweiser which is scientifically proven to have never got anyone outside America, pissed.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:51 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:49 am
The good news on beer, is that it's now going to be much more difficult to actually part with any cash, as they've recently announced it won't be on sale at stadiums as Qatar backtracks on what had been agreed. A week before kick-off, that's effectively a ransom note. It wouldn't be too bad, but they're only talking about fcuking Budweiser which is scientifically proven to have never got anyone outside America, pissed.
For a supposedly little country, Qatar seems to be acting like a big one. Serve them right if the whole thing was a total flop.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
One of the reasons I prefer not to drink at our place is because the beer on offer is so shit (Carling and John Smiths, I think). I'd rather drink Fanta.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:14 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
One of the reasons I prefer not to drink at our place is because the beer on offer is so shit (Carling and John Smiths, I think). I'd rather drink Fanta.
Gotta be honest mate, I'd struggle to name sporting/music venues where the beer has stood out as being anything other than pretty shit...At least at ours you might be able to take a little edge off the pain of watching...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:36 pm

Gotta be honest mate, I'd struggle to name sporting/music venues where the beer has stood out as being anything other than pretty shit...At least at ours you might be able to take a little edge off the pain of watching...
To be honest, me receiving a £30 fine for parking on Tesco and the realisation that a Match Special bus passes through where I live has had me thinking recently - If I have a couple of pints in my local (renowned for quality ale) first, then catch the bus, a pint of piss water at the stadium might not seem quite so bad. The Barolo - Vin de Table scenario, if you will. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:05 pm

Been watching the 1990 documentary. Which is excellent by the way. Really sinks in how shit modern football is.

That was an England team you wanted to win. Really wanted to win. With superb characters and some magical players. Some truly stand out players. It’s not the same anymore. I realise this is ‘old man shouts at cloud’ and I fear I’m going to sound a bit Tangodancer. But it’s really not the same.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:05 pm
Been watching the 1990 documentary. Which is excellent by the way. Really sinks in how shit modern football is.

That was an England team you wanted to win. Really wanted to win. With superb characters and some magical players. Some truly stand out players. It’s not the same anymore. I realise this is ‘old man shouts at cloud’ and I fear I’m going to sound a bit Tangodancer. But it’s really not the same.
Yep. You nailed it with the shouting at clouds bit, for me mate. 1990 was pretty special, but heightened by how fcking woeful we were in the 70's and 80's. 1970's Brazil, we weren't. I mean was it 78 when we were that bad we didn't even qualify for the finals? So the first time England got anywhere near...it brings back fond memories.

But spinning forwards some, I thought Southgate did pretty good early doors. Played some great attacking football. 1990 for me was still more hope than belief. 2018 I expected us to do well. Probably for the first time in my lifetime, I actually believed we could make a final...Obvs it's gone a bit shit since but I wouldn't say the 2018 team performed any worse than 1990's team. (I'm not going to bother with "let's make a list of players and mark them against each other" it's fairly futile and I think we did that once previously)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:19 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:36 pm

To be honest, me receiving a £30 fine for parking on Tesco and the realisation that a Match Special bus passes through where I live has had me thinking recently - If I have a couple of pints in my local (renowned for quality ale) first, then catch the bus, a pint of piss water at the stadium might not seem quite so bad. The Barolo - Vin de Table scenario, if you will. :D
Yeah, I either drive and don't bother at all until after the match, or do local and try and make me seat 2 minutes before kick off...the piss water still tastes pretty bad tbf!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:05 pm

I know exactly what you mean, but I recall there having been more interest generally in World Cup Finals for which we failed to qualify than there is for this.
No flags flying from cars or hanging from houses, no pubs advertising their schedules, nowt, and I really don't believe it's anything to do with the quality of Southgate's England.
If we did end up winning the thing it's going to feel like an utterly Pyrrhic victory.
The whole thing stinks.