The Big Shiny World Cup thread

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Big Shiny World Cup thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:59 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:49 pm
Qatar one of the worst sides I can remember in a World Cup.
The worst, as far as I can remember. It really was a case of them simply trying to get either a foot or a head on it, then chasing off after it in whichever direction it had pinged off in.

Lovely header for Ecuador's 2nd, it should be added by the way. An excellent finish.
I'll risk the howls of disapproval by saying we haven't heard the last of Ecuador.
Oh, and there right in the front row of V.I.P's ....John Terry. What a surprise...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:33 pm

They're currently interviewing Andranik! COYM - greatest sub to never get a regular starting spot for the mighty Whites.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:44 pm

Englands best player in Foden can’t get in the side…..oh so familiar.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:26 pm

Iran were god awful. Amazing that they’re ranked 20th in the world. Only tactic from the start was sit deep, foul, and time waste. The earlyish goal rendered that pointless and we just picked them off. Has the gulf between the top nations and those 20-40th in the world widened?

Qatar obviously woeful yesterday too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:29 pm

Good start, rather than a brilliant one. So many times, I've watched us duff the first game or maybe scrape a 1-1, 1-0.

Good games from Saka and Bellingham I thought. I'm simply stunned the same VAR ref called England in the last minute, yet looked at and missed Maguire being rugby tackled in the first half.

Only concern was defence - they could've easily bagged three (including the penalty) and a better team probably would have done.

But happy with 6 in the first match.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:35 pm

jimbo wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:26 pm
Iran were god awful. Amazing that they’re ranked 20th in the world. Only tactic from the start was sit deep, foul, and time waste. The earlyish goal rendered that pointless and we just picked them off. Has the gulf between the top nations and those 20-40th in the world widened?

Qatar obviously woeful yesterday too.
I'm not sure the gulf has widened much, their number 9 just became their record scorer in WC finals with 2. :-) An improvement, surely?

Iran were very poor, but I think we helped make them look so.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:12 pm

Satisfactory start and some good play. doesn't mean much right now against a team of clog and foul merchants, but worth noting we were twice undone (one scored) by them just lumping the ball into acres of space for a fast striker..A better team wold have made us pay. The penalty was a joke after the McGuire omission. Rashford looked confident and fit and took his goal well. .

Note: Wales could get a bit of a surprise tonight. American football isn't what it used to be. .

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:12 pm
Satisfactory start and some good play. doesn't mean much right now against a team of clog and foul merchants, but worth noting we were twice undone (one scored) by them just lumping the ball into acres of space for a fast striker..A better team wold have made us pay. The penalty was a joke after the McGuire omission. Rashford looked confident and fit and took his goal well. .

Note: Wales could get a bit of a surprise tonight. American football isn't what it used to be. .
The USA team are ranked higher than Wales and are moderate favourites tonight. Wales winning would be the more surprising result. Or are you suggesting the USA team is overrated?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:22 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:12 pm

The USA team are ranked higher than Wales and are moderate favourites tonight. Wales winning would be the more surprising result. Or are you suggesting the USA team is overrated?
Why would I suggest that? Wales are sounding cocky. They wouldn't get a surprise if they won.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:20 pm

Just seen the highlights of today. Still scratching my head that the rugby tackle on McGuire went to VAR and wasn't a penalty, whereas a shirt-tug was.
Anyway, how incredibly selfless of Callum Wilson to set up Grealish for the last goal.
Regarding the USA, indeed, the days of Roy Wegerle, Cobi Jones and Alexi Lalas are long gone. Tango's saying that Wales shouldn't underestimate them - nor should England, mate.
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:38 pm

Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson lining up for the US!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:20 pm
Just seen the highlights of today. Still scratching my head that the rugby tackle on McGuire went to VAR and wasn't a penalty, whereas a shirt-tug was.
Anyway, how incredibly selfless of Callum Wilson to set up Grealish for the last goal.
Regarding the USA, indeed, the days of Roy Wegerle, Cobi Jones and Alexi Lalas are long gone. Tango's saying that Wales shouldn't underestimate them - nor should England, mate.
Aye, Pulisic is proper and reyna, who isn't playing tonight, is also not to be underestimated. I do think they have a way to go but I'm genuinely intrigued as to the state of their squad when they host it next time.

Also just think England are currently a level above. Bellingham...don't think I've seen a teenager with such an air of dominance

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah. But my point was USA are favourites to beat wales tonight. Wales are underdogs. I heard a number of their fans on the radio over the weekend say they’d be delighted with a draw.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:46 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah. But my point was USA are favourites to beat wales tonight. Wales are underdogs. I heard a number of their fans on the radio over the weekend say they’d be delighted with a draw.
Wales look a division or two below USA here. It feels like this Welsh side are probably just past their peak at this tournament. Bale has been awful so far.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah, the Iran penalty made zero sense when weighed against Maguire's rugby tackle...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:37 pm

Decent take by Weah, there...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:50 pm

US look so much sharper and are pressing so quickly...their tempo and play has been great but Wales look like they've been woken up by a forgotten alarm.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:39 pm

Don't get giving them the ball back, putting it out because some fckers gone down with cramp or whatever isn't going to kill them...ridiculous stoppages.

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:06 pm

Ferocious second half. Wales played out their skin. States look to have something of the cynical about them: few feigned injuries (by appearances), lots of wailing. I do hope England are smart to it. Their wingers/wing backs looked dangerous first half, too. Loads of pace.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:49 pm

Wales played the better second half, but I was less than enamoured with the game in general. Did the pitch seem a bit "farmers Giles's field" in places for a World Cup venue?
The Camera work too seemed worse than B.B.C's but that might be because the weather was affecting my T.V.ariel. I finished up watching on my P.C. Not too sure about Tim Ream's yellow card for a Bale challenge, or about the penalty being all that clear cut. Ah well, on with it.