The Rest of League One 23/24

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Rest of League One 23/24

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:15 pm
See? :mrgreen:
I never said we should have signed him. I'd certainly hope we are targeting much more established and recognised players.

But I think he would probably be a better fit than Shoretire...if it was a choice. I'd rather we went for Alfie May over either.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:03 pm

Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:25 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:52 pm
I think there's a difference between the view we have of Bradley and Trafford, and the view we had of Shola, Mbete and Beck.
Worthy, I don't think there's such a thing as a (singular) "view we have/had".

Although when we signed Trafford, who had a similar number of games as Balazigi but a league higher (at Accy), pretty much everyone from Bertie to Brommers worried that an inexperienced goalkeeper wasn't what we needed.

When we signed Bradley, very many people wondered how this kid with absolutely zero league experience would be anywhere near as good as Fossey.

But he was, so when we got his mate Beck, we had reason to be cheerful.

When we got Shola, who was described as the most exciting United kid reasonably available, people had reason to hope for another success story.

Mbete was a rush signing to cover Aimson departure & Johnston injury, a double absence which was expected by some to make us sieve-leaky.

Maybe the thing we've learnt is to expect the opposite of expectations.
Well if you want to be picky, DSB, I'm not sure an indeterminate "we" is much different from an indeterminate "people." Do you not think there's probably a difference between the view of how successful Trafford and Bradley's stint with us was, compared to Shola, Mbete and Beck?

I mean we voted Bradley and Trafford as player and young player of the season - albeit I have no idea what the population size of that "we" was...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:30 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:03 pm
Do you not think there's probably a difference between the view of how successful Trafford and Bradley's stint with us was, compared to Shola, Mbete and Beck?
I do think that different people have different views on how successful transfers were. I also think that different people have different views when those transfers go through as to how successful they'll be. That's all.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:43 pm

Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:30 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Do you not think there's probably a difference between the view of how successful Trafford and Bradley's stint with us was, compared to Shola, Mbete and Beck?
I do think that different people have different views on how successful transfers were. I also think that different people have different views when those transfers go through as to how successful they'll be. That's all.
I'll stick with my rough estimate, that more people will likely have viewed Trafford/Bradley as more successful than Shortire, Beck and Mbete. :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:43 pm
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:30 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
I'll stick with my rough estimate, that more people will likely have viewed Trafford/Bradley as more successful than Shortire, Beck and Mbete. :D
Which is fair - and I'll stick with my memories that many a naysayer wondered why the hell we were hiring Traf and Brad... :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:12 pm

I think my comments on Traff were something like "if he helps stop us leaking 1.6 goals a game, that'll do for me!" Damning with faint praise. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:12 pm
I think my comments on Traff were something like "if he helps stop us leaking 1.6 goals a game, that'll do for me!" Damning with faint praise. :-)
TBF, he did.....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:44 pm

Barnsley have had to cancel a friendly due to lack of players. Interesting times for them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:44 pm
Barnsley have had to cancel a friendly due to lack of players. Interesting times for them.
I was particularly enamoured of their "Another Thursday passes" thread. I think maybe we should start doing days of the week.

I mean, "Who the hell wants to sift through 195 posts (and counting) to find out transfer news ???" :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:57 pm

Looks like Reading have a permanent deal to sign Yernited kid Charlie Savage, son of a knobhead

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:50 am

Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:57 pm
Looks like Reading have a permanent deal to sign Yernited kid Charlie Savage, son of a knobhead
Despite having a lot of issues off the pitch, they are doing some very good business.

They have added a lot of work rate to their squad with Smith, Wing, Knibbs and Savage. Also plenty of quality for the level.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:35 pm

Commence the world's smallest violins for Paul Warne.
Derby County boss Paul Warne wants to strengthen his attacking options ahead of the new League One campaign. The Rams lost David McGoldrick, their top scorer from last season, to Notts County, but have since brought in Rotherham striker Conor Washington. The Northern Ireland international is one of Derby's seven summer signings, but is the only striker among them.

"I would like a nine and a number 10 really, but I'm not trying to be greedy," Warne told BBC Radio Derby. "I think we've got it potentially in our budget to bring in at least another one or two, or spread it more thin and go three, but I think I'd be happy with two good ones."

Warne said his squad is "possibly two or three short", but believes he will be unable to reinvest the funds from the sale of midfielder Jason Knight in a new forward.

"If we're getting a player in that's better than the ones that we've got out here, who's currently under contract, then you're going to do well to get a number nine here for £200,000," he said. "So it's either a free or a loan, they're really our options."

Washington is yet to play in Derby's pre-season programme as he recovers from knee surgery in April, but is expected to return next week along with Australia international left-back Callum Elder.

Warne confirmed midfielder Louie Sibley's recovery from a calf problem was further away, while new signing Kane Wilson is a "long way off fitness" after an injury-plagued 2022-23 season.

"We obviously need another attacker, I personally would like another wing-back," Warne added. "I think Thommo (midfielder Liam Thompson) has done brilliantly at left wing-back, but Kane is a long way off fitness so we need to get him fit and we need to get Callum back.

"When everyone's fit it doesn't look like you've got any issues, but you don't have many games during the season where you've got 20 players fit, so I think we could do with another one there."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:00 pm

Another name I’ve suggested before heads to(wards) a rival..,

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:51 pm

Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:35 pm
while new signing Kane Wilson is a "long way off fitness" after an injury-plagued 2022-23 season.
Very interesting.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:19 pm

Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:00 pm
Another name I’ve suggested before heads to(wards) a rival..,
Terry Taylor too.

Charlton are currently having the best transfer window, I think.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:31 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:19 pm
Terry Taylor too.

Charlton are currently having the best transfer window, I think.
I might get round to analysing "rival" windows over the next fortnight (still trawling for Big Club Potentials) but yeah, they're doing well. Pompey seem to have enrolled a few too, although they may have gone more quantity than quality.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:13 pm

Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:31 pm
I might get round to analysing "rival" windows over the next fortnight (still trawling for Big Club Potentials) but yeah, they're doing well. Pompey seem to have enrolled a few too, although they may have gone more quantity than quality.
Yeah, it's the quality of Charlton's additions that stand out.

Taylor is one of the most talented youngsters in the EFL. May is one of the best strikers in League One. Camara, likewise, a top player at this level.

They should be much better this season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:07 pm

Northampton borrow striker Tyreece Simpson, previously admired by Ghost, from Huddersfield for the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66312076

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:35 pm

Reading are under a transfer embargo for failure to pay HMRC.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:52 pm

Whatmough and McGrath leave Wigan on free transfers. Given Wigan fans were citing Whatmough as "the best defender League One has ever seen" that seems like a striking one.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2023/jul ... e-mcgrath/