West Ham are complete failures! Let's all laugh at 'em!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:05 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:

As it is, I think the principle is the correct one - leagues should be decided on what goes on on the pitch, if at all possible.
Agreed, unless the unfair infraction gave them an advantage over other teams. Over here, if an ineligible player is used the team loses all the games in which that player played. I can't say that having the Argentinians appeared to help WHam in any way but.... I also remember how last August we thought they had done better than anyone else in the window. :D
Tevez has been good for them so they have gained an advantage. They'd probably have been down by now without him.
Except the offense took place prior to January when the agreement was disclosed. Tevez has been much better since then i understand.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:11 pm

Who keeps the money? The FA?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:24 pm

boltonboris wrote:Who keeps the money? The FA?
Yeah.
They need it to keep paying Sven the money they owe him.
Businesswoman of the year.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:26 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Of course if they end up surviving the money they will save by not going down will make it well worth it...
True, but I think it's more likely that they'll get to the end of the season, go down, and think "feck, they might as well just have had a dozen points instead".

As it is, I think the principle is the correct one - leagues should be decided on what goes on on the pitch, if at all possible.
But isn't the argument that nefarious activities off it - i.e. signing ineligible players, have an impact on what goes on on the pitch - i.e. they fielded them and as such gained an advantage. Admittedly not much of one given their league position but they had the opportunity to make use of players they had no right to.

Why is Chelsea tapping up Ashely Cole potentially worth 3 pts deduction but not this?

The other question this raises is, why, when the two were signed, didn't the FA pick all this up and say there and then that they couldn't be eligible?

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:28 pm

boltonboris wrote:Who keeps the money? The FA?
Yes, It's also rumoured that Craig Allardyce has suddenly asked to join the F.A today as well!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:21 pm

If for example West Ham survive by beating Wigan this weekend then going on from there, what are the chances of Wigan launching an appeal aginst West Ham not having points deducted. Whelan will be furious if West Ham now survive at Wigans expense, I don't think we have heard the last of this.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

claus jensens guitar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by claus jensens guitar » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:54 pm

This really annoys me. AFC Wimbledon played a player (Jermaine Darlington) without international clearance (From Welsh FA to English FA I think) for quite a while unknowingly to the club and then had everything thrown at them.

"Thrown out of the FA Trophy, ordered to repay £12,000 in prize money, received an 18 point penalty & £400 fine + costs from the Isthmian League and expelled from the Surrey County Cup. The 18 points penalty was later reduced to just 3 points, after an appeal."

Remember Bury were also thrown out of the FA Cup for fielding an ineligible player who they had a verbal but not written agreement with Hartlepool. It is not exactly the same rule breach but I can't see why a points deduction has been avoided as they have broken a league rule. £5m is nothing to Magnusson.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:00 pm

knobpolisher wrote:If for example West Ham survive by beating Wigan this weekend then going on from there, what are the chances of Wigan launching an appeal aginst West Ham not having points deducted. Whelan will be furious if West Ham now survive at Wigans expense, I don't think we have heard the last of this.
Hmmmm it's almost worth it to see nob jockey Whelan throw his toys out of his pram.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Re: £5.5m

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:09 pm

fozzy wrote:F*ck me that's a lot of money. Don't know about the terms of payment, but be interesting to see if Eggy sues former chairman Brown (£2m investment, £30m profit)
He should! There must be someway it can be traced to Brown, he must have known the rules.

Still funny though sorry fozzy :mrgreen:
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Apathy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Apathy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:28 pm

I expect that if West Ham are relegated they will appeal against the harsh amount they have been fined, and say that they should have been deducted points instead, with a smaller fine. If they stay up they will appeal to have the fine reduced. And it won't surprise me at all when they are successful, in their appeal.

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Aw well, they'll still go down
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:59 pm

The FA wants a Premiership with West Ham in it - not a Premiership with Wigan in, or Sheffield Utd.

thats why they didnt deduct points

i could have told you this weeks ago

i hope Wigan batter the crap out of them tomorrow
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:33 pm

cowdrill wrote:The FA wants a Premiership with West Ham in it - not a Premiership with Wigan in, or Sheffield Utd.

thats why they didnt deduct points
I have to agree with this. Shocking decision by the FA. And people thinking I'm crazy for suspecting favoritism in football. As Dibble said, if they were relegated it would cost them tens of millions of pounds. £5.5 million is a slap on the wrist compared to the cost of playing in the Championship next season. Seems the most fair thing to do would be to deduct any points gained while the two illegal players were on the pitch.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:40 pm

Maybe I'm not as paranoid as you guys but my thoughts were that a points deduction would be a non punishment considering West Ham were going down anyway. Which is exactly why the FA broke the record in fines - hit them where it counts. Next season they'll need all the money they can get.

What they really should have done is enforced a points deduction and made it applicable from next season. Then I'd I've been a very happy horse.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:52 pm

Apathy wrote:I expect that if West Ham are relegated they will appeal against the harsh amount they have been fined, and say that they should have been deducted points instead, with a smaller fine. If they stay up they will appeal to have the fine reduced. And it won't surprise me at all when they are successful, in their appeal.
Without a shadow of doubt.

They will appeal, it'll be reduced to half that at worst ... & probably suspended.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:22 pm

claus jensens guitar wrote:This really annoys me. AFC Wimbledon played a player (Jermaine Darlington) without international clearance (From Welsh FA to English FA I think) for quite a while unknowingly to the club and then had everything thrown at them.

"Thrown out of the FA Trophy, ordered to repay £12,000 in prize money, received an 18 point penalty & £400 fine + costs from the Isthmian League and expelled from the Surrey County Cup. The 18 points penalty was later reduced to just 3 points, after an appeal."

Remember Bury were also thrown out of the FA Cup for fielding an ineligible player who they had a verbal but not written agreement with Hartlepool. It is not exactly the same rule breach but I can't see why a points deduction has been avoided as they have broken a league rule. £5m is nothing to Magnusson.
Amen to that. I suspect any Premiership club would have got away with escaping a points ban, whereas with Bury(who admitted it was at fault just like West Ham), got thrown out of the cup which potenially could have been a lifesaver.

Got to apply the rules the same across the divisions, I agree with not losing points but AFC Wimbledon and Bury must feel agrived to today's ruling.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:52 pm

SAD DAY FOR ENGLISH FOOTBALL: They've sorted out the Tevez problem; He's allowed to play on for West Ham.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 594613.stm
Carlos Tevez has been cleared to play for West Ham, who were fined £5.5m earlier on Friday over the transfers of Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

Apathy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Apathy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:09 pm

Another thing that is annoying me about this, is that West Ham pleaded guilty and because they did so, they got a reduction in the fine.

If they pleaded guilty then that meant knew they should not be playing Tevez, yet they still continued to do so.
For that alone they should be docked every point they earned whilst playing Tevez, since the day they pleaded guilty!

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:11 pm

its all fackin bullcrap

if west fackin SHITE avoid relegation im going to hack my bloody head off with a big knife

C****S :evil:
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:28 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Of course if they end up surviving the money they will save by not going down will make it well worth it...
True, but I think it's more likely that they'll get to the end of the season, go down, and think "feck, they might as well just have had a dozen points instead".

But isn't the argument that nefarious activities off it - i.e. signing ineligible players, have an impact on what goes on on the pitch - i.e. they fielded them and as such gained an advantage. Admittedly not much of one given their league position but they had the opportunity to make use of players they had no right to.

Why is Chelsea tapping up Ashely Cole potentially worth 3 pts deduction but not this?

The other question this raises is, why, when the two were signed, didn't the FA pick all this up and say there and then that they couldn't be eligible?
They were going to dock points and fine upwards of £7,000,000 BUT West Ham pleaded guilty and were let off lightly.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.