Pigs might fly...Charlton (h) 28th Jan 2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Pigs might fly...Charlton (h) 28th Jan 2017

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:36 pm

Mar reckons that today Nadine was poor by his standards. I shudder to think!

We do have a small squad, but Dyche got Burnley up, twice, using basically 14 players. We miss Ameobi but that's the job. We're having a wobble, it happens. It needs kicking soon though, and we need more going forward.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:34 am

Prufrock wrote:Mar reckons that today Nadine was poor by his standards. I shudder to think!

We do have a small squad, but Dyche got Burnley up, twice, using basically 14 players. We miss Ameobi but that's the job. We're having a wobble, it happens. It needs kicking soon though, and we need more going forward.
I'm hoping you mean actual scoring by that (I'm sure you do) . We can play like Barcelona but, in the very best No shxt Sherlock vein, all that counts is scoring goals. Football's a great game to play, but a daft frustrating game to watch. Just like in golf where a rifled three hundred yard drive has exactly the same value as a six inch putt, football is only interested in the score at the end and, as today proved, you can be as superior as you like in possesion and all the aspects, but if ten men score a goal more than you, they get three points, you get nothing (except a load of abuse maybe) . " You get nowt for hard lines" is an old chestnut, but it's as true as ever. Nick Smith knew what he was talking about....We need a goal scorer...

Amen.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:00 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Athertonian wrote:Sick of arguing regarding Madine because I think he's a waste of a shirt. He has no skill no idea and no pace. "yeah but he gives 100%" said the voice aimed in my direction. Madine can't score goals and for what he does is no use to this team.

From what I have witnessed in recent league games were going to need a lot of good fortune if we are to gain automatic promotion and even the play offs.

I know the club is still in deep shit and we can't afford a goal scorer but please Parky drop the dead donkey.
How many chances did he miss? I mean he wasn't very good today generally. But you could have Lineker in his pomp up there today and it'd have made no difference. We created nowt.
Is he not as responsible as anyone for creating chances? He sure as shit isn't in the side to score them.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:12 am

Madine doesn't miss chances because he doesn't have the bravery, nouse or speed to get in the right positions to score. He holds it up well and will always get a few tap ins, but without the quality behind him, the problem of his lack of goals and assists becomes stark. Ameobi brought quality and balance to the attack, and was instrumental to getting Clough into good positions, who lets face it is our only natural scorer. Without Ameobi, this system doesn't work, and it is hard to see one that does. We need a striker who gets into positions to score, and who the other players feel can score. Having a left footed or two footed attacking player is also important too. Chris Long and Dominic Samuel/Eoin Doyle might do the trick. The next few days are make or break, that is for sure.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:14 am

Still fuming sbout yesterday. Fact is if we dont get some players in this lot will coast through knowing parky will never drop them. We can do better than Madine for a start, someone who can hold it up but also doesn't need 4 touches before getting a shot off.
We had a man advantage for 80 mins ffs, there were some absolute passangers in that team yesterday. Not won a game in 2017.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:32 am

As someone pointed out, these next few days are crucial. I can't see anyone coming in good enough to solve the goal scoring problem we have. Unless from set pieces we don't look like scoring. The club remains in deep shit.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:43 am

Tombwfc wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Athertonian wrote:Sick of arguing regarding Madine because I think he's a waste of a shirt. He has no skill no idea and no pace. "yeah but he gives 100%" said the voice aimed in my direction. Madine can't score goals and for what he does is no use to this team.

From what I have witnessed in recent league games were going to need a lot of good fortune if we are to gain automatic promotion and even the play offs.

I know the club is still in deep shit and we can't afford a goal scorer but please Parky drop the dead donkey.
How many chances did he miss? I mean he wasn't very good today generally. But you could have Lineker in his pomp up there today and it'd have made no difference. We created nowt.
Is he not as responsible as anyone for creating chances? He sure as shit isn't in the side to score them.
Quite. He is allowed to try and create some for himself.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:55 am

Tombwfc wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yes absolutely. Be fantastic if in the next day or two we found someone better. But my point was, yesterday was not a case of finishing letting us down. It was a case of loads of possession that went nowhere near the bloody goal and a terrible final ball.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:44 am

Parkinson needs to change the way the team plays & I'm not sure that he's capable of doing that.

Our style of play is so slow, low tempo, robotic, non creative & predictable....its either him as a manager who can't get the team to play better, more creative, high tempo football OR its the current players who can only play one way and are incapable of playing a different style

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:Parkinson needs to change the way the team plays & I'm not sure that he's capable of doing that.

Our style of play is so slow, low tempo, robotic, non creative & predictable....its either him as a manager who can't get the team to play better, more creative, high tempo football OR its the current players who can only play one way and are incapable of playing a different style
I agree about the style of play, but while it's not always great to watch, it has been very effective on the whole. I don't think we're broken, and I'm not expecting whoever we sign to drastically change us from what we are (a team which relies primarily on defence and then squeezing a goal at the other end).

Even now, we're not a bad side - were we not to sign anyone I'd still back us for the playoffs. But to properly challenge Sheff Utd and Scunthorpe we need a plan B, which ideally would be a natural winger and a goalscorer.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:03 pm

And a manager who was willing to use them. I'm not asking for the tinkerman but realising we are very obvious to play against and mixing it up with the odd change to the starting XI would be useful.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:22 pm

officer_dibble wrote:And a manager who was willing to use them. I'm not asking for the tinkerman but realising we are very obvious to play against and mixing it up with the odd change to the starting XI would be useful.
If he has more options then maybe that becomes a possibility. Though nobody complained about the same side when we were winning game after game. Fact is when you have a squad with several players that are shite, this is what happens. The schedule catches up with you.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:And a manager who was willing to use them. I'm not asking for the tinkerman but realising we are very obvious to play against and mixing it up with the odd change to the starting XI would be useful.
If he has more options then maybe that becomes a possibility. Though nobody complained about the same side when we were winning game after game. Fact is when you have a squad with several players that are shite, this is what happens. The schedule catches up with you.

Don't think the schedule is the problem. We've had 11 days since the Crystal Palace match. Sure the players traveled down on the Saturday but they didn't play against Southend.

In all honesty I think we were lacking a player that was willing to try and grab the game by the scruff of its neck. Same was said on occasion of teams with Okocha, Anelka, etc. so this isn't new ground we're covering here. Hopefully its indicative of an off day. Too many players just trying to play it safe and not make a mistake.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:15 am

I think some of you might be on the wrong forum here.

This is one for Bolton isn't it?

The team under a transfer embargo, not a pot to p*ss in and was about 30 minutes from going bust last year?

Shock/horror Madine isn't fantastic. If he was any good he wouldn't be here.

Parky isn't the world's greatest manager. If he was any good he wouldn't be here.

Alnwick looked at fault for the first goal (fill it in yourself..)

We're third in the league behind the biggest club in the division and a team that is having a completely purple season.

How many people thought we'd be third at the beginning of the season, I genuinely thought we were in danger of slipping through again. (I live in Crewe and I've seen it happen to them)

All through the team we were sh*te on Saturday, it's going to happen once in a while (although, I make a 100 mile round journey near enough to watch the match so I'm as p*ssed off about it as anyone) but I can accept it where the club is at the moment.

Isn't that just the second match we've lost at home this season?

The situation isn't perfect, but neither is BWFC, so I think that isn't a bad balance.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:23 am

^ I think it's the 3rd but otherwise :pray:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:38 am

Mar wrote:Wilkinson loan tied. That's two clubs he's played for now. Which shows us a statement of intent that we're going to keep him or loan him back to Chesterfield again.
He played for us earlier in the season anyway, Mar.

I'm not going to argue with anyone who went, or anyone who's unhappy, but it strikes me that Parky's getting pelters for (1) being negative (2) bringing on a striker. I know there's shades of grey in there, and that tactics are about more than personnel and formation, but it's notable. One reliable poster on here suggested bringing on Trotter; I'm sure that would have united the stadium in exultant joy, too.

Parky is a streaky manager, and this is not our first bad month, so we may come out of it again; it's way too early to be giving up on promotion. He's struggling with a squad filled with underachievers, some of them recruited by him, and we have 37.5 hours until the deadline. I'll be hitting Refresh; let's hope Parky can, too.

COYWM.
Andy Waller wrote:I think some of you might be on the wrong forum here.

The team under a transfer embargo, not a pot to p*ss in and was about 30 minutes from going bust last year?

Parky isn't the world's greatest manager. If he was any good he wouldn't be here.

We're third in the league behind the biggest club in the division and a team that is having a completely purple season.

How many people thought we'd be third at the beginning of the season, I genuinely thought we were in danger of slipping through again. (I live in Crewe and I've seen it happen to them)

All through the team we were sh*te on Saturday, it's going to happen once in a while (although, I make a 100 mile round journey near enough to watch the match so I'm as p*ssed off about it as anyone) but I can accept it where the club is at the moment.

The situation isn't perfect, but neither is BWFC, so I think that isn't a bad balance.
This is the kind of post that makes me want a Like button.

Aanvalluh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aanvalluh » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mar wrote:Wilkinson loan tied. That's two clubs he's played for now. Which shows us a statement of intent that we're going to keep him or loan him back to Chesterfield again.
He played for us earlier in the season anyway, Mar.

I'm not going to argue with anyone who went, or anyone who's unhappy, but it strikes me that Parky's getting pelters for (1) being negative (2) bringing on a striker. I know there's shades of grey in there, and that tactics are about more than personnel and formation, but it's notable. One reliable poster on here suggested bringing on Trotter; I'm sure that would have united the stadium in exultant joy, too.

Parky is a streaky manager, and this is not our first bad month, so we may come out of it again; it's way too early to be giving up on promotion. He's struggling with a squad filled with underachievers, some of them recruited by him, and we have 37.5 hours until the deadline. I'll be hitting Refresh; let's hope Parky can, too.

COYWM.
Andy Waller wrote:I think some of you might be on the wrong forum here.

This is the kind of post that makes me want a Like button.
Reminds me of when I was playing the lowest pub league possible as a winger. The forward spent all game moaning and whinging about the ball not put on the exact blade of grass he wanted it put on (so he could blaze it over the bar), and after the umteenth bollocking I said "if I could put the ball precisely where you wanted it time after time...I wouldn't be playing for you". Think he ot the message, but I'm not sure...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

He's horseshit - I've run out of patience. He's utterly useless and he's stopped grafting, which is the minimum you'd expect from a footballer
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

You can't create chances when your striker doesn't make a run.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:34 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You can't create chances when your striker doesn't make a run.
Exactly. What we needed on Saturday was a proper striker. Someone making runs, someone with a bit of movement to find space in the box. He didn't even appear to be trying to do that.