The other Dons.....Oxford away Tues 21-03-17...7.45

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The other Dons.....Oxford away Tues 21-03-17...7.45

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:06 pm

I thought Long was good. They'd clearly targeted the switch first half, Hall bring Taylor inside then RB down the outside. Long was playing LW second half to cover that. He was the only one pushing us on for most of the second half.

If you're looking at their goal and blaming anyone but Alnwick you want your bumps feeling. Blocked out wide, you can't stop all crosses. Keeper made up for for it with a worldie though.

Thought Nadine was decent but that cb with the own goal was bobbins. 4th he battled well but outstanding from Josh. Don't think we played well. Much too passive, but will take it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:14 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:46 pm
Aye. Parky's a charlatan, the players are lazy, and we'll do well to just avoid relegation.

Call me a pessimist, but tonight's win means that we're now mathematically safe. :)
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Their fans sounded like right charlies, thought they had some good educational facilities in Oxford, pah.

(Charlies :lol:, wtf?)

Agree with Pru on Long he did a great job on the left with Taylor.

Dervite MotM for me though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:20 pm

Oh and someone might want to point out to Appleton that IF there was any contact from Morais on their lad it was outside the box.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:30 pm

The thunderbolt that Ben got fingertips to and the freekick they scored from were quality stuff. The other goal they scored is best forgotten, at least by us. 2-0 up looked comfortable, 2-1 not quite so, same with 3-1 and 3-2. To see that last goal go in and the quality approach to creating and finishing it was icing on cake time. Well done, a win is a win and that's what we got..Parky's delight at the fourth goal was a joy to see.... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:46 pm

Spent most of the night trying to avoid the score but couldn't manage it. Plays havoc with the nerves this does. The bstrds have got me believing now!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:06 pm
I thought Long was good. They'd clearly targeted the switch first half, Hall bring Taylor inside then RB down the outside. Long was playing LW second half to cover that. He was the only one pushing us on for most of the second half.

If you're looking at their goal and blaming anyone but Alnwick you want your bumps feeling. Blocked out wide, you can't stop all crosses. Keeper made up for for it with a worldie though.

Thought Nadine was decent but that cb with the own goal was bobbins. 4th he battled well but outstanding from Josh. Don't think we played well. Much too passive, but will take it.
Got some shot on him Long. Still should have squared that one for Morais. Very good outlet though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:38 pm
Nobody can tell me, Madine isn't absolutely crucial to us.

Take him out and we are fecked. Key man.
Worst player in the team by a mile. Amuse me, what exactly did he bring to the game tonight? It's as well that Madine was second to the ball (as usual) when their lad scored the own goal as Madine would have only 4ucked it up. Useless, clumsy and wholly ineffective waste of space.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:52 pm

Assists for the first, third and fourth goals
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:08 am

Dancing in the streets of Yangon.

Well, by "dancing" I mean "blearily checking scores at 6.30am", and by "in the streets" I mean "in the hotel bedroom before going back to bed".

Lovely, lovely result - how we got it doesn't matter half as much, but if we keep scoring we'll keep winning. Night!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:21 am

jonnybwfc wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:52 pm
Assists for the first, third and fourth goals

Meh, not really. First, quality came from Vela. It's 50/50 whether Madine "should score" or it's a cracking save, but either way, he's done no more than hit the target from 6 yards. I'm not really criticising him, but no-one watched that and thought "well done Nadine". Ditto the third. Nothing more he could've done, but it's a top drawer defensive shocker. Should've just gone for a corner, and that Nadine would've justifiably "won", but again, no way that's an "assist" worth anything.

4th decent bit of hold up play but that goal is all about Vela.

If you're not sure it's fair to compare "assists" try big Phil's against Fleetwood. The lad's a belter, but not for his first.

I'm not slagging Nadine off. I'm a big critic but thought he was decent tonight (nowhere near motm mind) but it's a bit much to rely on three "assists" tonight.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:24 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Worst player in the team by a mile. Amuse me, what exactly did he bring to the game tonight? It's as well that Madine was second to the ball (as usual) when their lad scored the own goal as Madine would have only 4ucked it up. Useless, clumsy and wholly ineffective waste of space.
Either you don't understand football at all, which I don't believe for one second, or your pre conceived dislike is simply clouding your judgement to such an extent. He's doing the exact same job Kevin Davies used to do for us. Only at a lower level. If you can't see that I'm genuinely at a loss for how to explain it. Played a role in 3 of the goals.

Incidentally Bolton vans voted him our man of the match so thankfully most are seeing the same.

Take him out and we are a worse side. By a long stretch. As I believe the statistics this season will clearly show.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:01 am

That was a fun night! went through them like a train for the first half an hour, but then seemed to merge back into the BWFC ive come to know and loath of late, which meant i was extremely nervous for the next hour! so when Vela's goal went in at the end we went ballastic! its been many years since ive celebrated a goal like that!! no voice today.

Cannot stop watching that vid of Parky's celebration either!! good times

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:09 am

Was a wee bit baffled with Alf's short attendence. He got an elbow, which must have been worse than it looked because it dindn't look anything special as assaults go? Any news on that? Hope it isn't anything serious.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:24 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Either you don't understand football at all, which I don't believe for one second, or your pre conceived dislike is simply clouding your judgement to such an extent. He's doing the exact same job Kevin Davies used to do for us. Only at a lower level. If you can't see that I'm genuinely at a loss for how to explain it. Played a role in 3 of the goals.

Incidentally Bolton vans voted him our man of the match so thankfully most are seeing the same.

Take him out and we are a worse side. By a long stretch. As I believe the statistics this season will clearly show.
Was that vote taken in your house, with only you voting? He didn't have a bad game in what turned out to be a good win, albeit a bit twitchy at times. But MotM?

I don't think he's had a bad season - think he's been ok in some good team wins - and he has scored some important goals for us (which is part of his job) - maybe not enough of them, but all to the good. None of which leads me yet to believe he has the talent one Division up. Nor is the comparison with Davies warranted - other than in your head, but you've been banging this particular drum all season :-)

Our first goal, he was involved a couple of times (good) - he loses the ball - which Vela picks up when it's loose. Vela drops it inch perfect on his head, in a harder to miss scenario, and he royally feck* it up - heads it like a tw@t. Claiming an assist is stretching it to epic proportions.

The only good thing that came out of "his assist" for their third goal was he had a great view of how to beat the keeper with a header into the bottom corner - he's nowhere near getting his head on it, but sure put some pressure on the defender.

Good hold up for the fourth, but Vela's done all the hard work.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Pre-conceived ideas informing how somebody sees Nadine's performance?! Heavens no!

Dervite or Wheater MotM for me last night.

Feel for Beevers too, three doesn't suit him, curse of being left-footed.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 am

I'm not sure if Madine was MOM but he had a decent game, I've not seen him play better this season than last night - I thought Long looked really dangerous when he came on with his pace & energy.

It was a very open game, but it was actually a good game to watch and IMO we deserved to win and it was a very important 3 points - we are certainly a more pacy, attacking team than we where a month ago which is good to see and we are pressing the opposition more than normal instead of just sitting back - which is probably due to Pratley coming back, ALF's energy and running up front is also helping.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:16 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Was that vote taken in your house, with only you voting? He didn't have a bad game in what turned out to be a good win, albeit a bit twitchy at times. But MotM?

I don't think he's had a bad season - think he's been ok in some good team wins - and he has scored some important goals for us (which is part of his job) - maybe not enough of them, but all to the good. None of which leads me yet to believe he has the talent one Division up. Nor is the comparison with Davies warranted - other than in your head, but you've been banging this particular drum all season :-)

Our first goal, he was involved a couple of times (good) - he loses the ball - which Vela picks up when it's loose. Vela drops it inch perfect on his head, in a harder to miss scenario, and he royally feck it up - heads it like a tw@t. Claiming an assist is stretching it to epic proportions.

The only good thing that came out of "his assist" for their third goal was he had a great view of how to beat the keeper with a header into the bottom corner - he's nowhere near getting his head on it, but sure put some pressure on the defender.

Good hold up for the fourth, but Vela's done all the hard work.
League one is probably his level. But that isn't the point. He does a critical job for us. The same job Davies did at a higher level. The comparison is in what they do. Incidentally Madine has an ever so slightly higher goals to game ratio than Davies did here. Yes at a lower level. But isn't that the point? Madine is a lower league player, playing for us in a lower league? That doesn't take away the job he is doing.

The vote btw is the official club vote on twitter. I didn't vote, and I'd probably have given MoTM to Vela last night. But Madine wasn't far behind.

As for the first goal, the ball was behind him. It was a decent effort and an excellent save. On the third, but for the defender Madine would have headed it. So I'm not really sure what the point is there. He was right on top of the defender.

Take Madine out, and do you think we'd be anywhere as effective? I think the stats show that when he's been missing we've struggled big time. Coincidence? Not for me. Just like Davies, who wasn't exactly the best footballer in the side. But was one of the most important players, for the job he did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 am
I'm not sure if Madine was MOM but he had a decent game, I've not seen him play better this season than last night - I thought Long looked really dangerous when he came on with his pace & energy.

It was a very open game, but it was actually a good game to watch and IMO we deserved to win and it was a very important 3 points - we are certainly a more pacy, attacking team than we where a month ago which is good to see and we are pressing the opposition more than normal instead of just sitting back - which is probably due to Pratley coming back, ALF's energy and running up front is also helping.
Very clear that we rely on running in midfield. Without Pratley and Spearing, we will struggle as the rest don't have the legs or energy to cover the ground and Vela just ends up chasing shadows with no back up.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 am

I have very begrudgingly accepted that Madine has played very well for us this season - but his attempts/conversion ratio is very low

He is just a big lad, and certainly not a natural finisher

His contract runs out at the end of June - and I pray to God that they dont renew it - because he was a joke in the Championship - and we will really struggle again if we have to rely on him as our centre forward
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin: