Latic Acid Test. Oldham Athletic - Away. Sat 15th Apr 17 @ 12.30

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Latic Acid Test. Oldham Athletic - Away. Sat 15th Apr 17 @ 12.30

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:08 pm
Pratley, Dervite, Taylor and Madine all very doubtful for this game according to Iles' latest tweet.
Chances for others; this is a squad game.

Derik in at CB, where he performed well when Wheater was injured earlier in the season, Henry in at CM. Or try something different - 4-5-1 with ALF up top and Morais/VSO providing the width?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:14 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:08 pm
Pratley, Dervite, Taylor and Madine all very doubtful for this game according to Iles' latest tweet.
Chances for others; this is a squad game.

Derik in at CB, where he performed well when Wheater was injured earlier in the season, Henry in at CM. Or try something different - 4-5-1 with ALF up top and Morais/VSO providing the width?
Derik for Dervite. Suspect will be Karacan or Thorpe for Pratley. Can't see it being Henry in what is likely to be a blood and guts slug it out fest on that pitch.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Is Karacan even available? He signed on March 11th, and IIRC we were allowed a one-month deal because the League believed we didn't have enough players (Spearing was still out, etc). It's now April 13th, Spearing has come back, and Karacan hasn't started a game.

As the Football League said when we complained about not being able to register Jeff King:
The club, under EFL regulation 41.7, is able to apply for an emergency month long signing up until the fourth Thursday in March if it is unable to name 18 players on the team sheet for any match due to suspensions or injuries.
I'm sure this "injury crisis" isn't misinformation the club is putting out in order to get an extension on Karacan. I don't even know if such an extension is legally possible... which is a shame, as Karacan is a decent player, and might have to be our Spearing next year if the Scouser himself doesn't want his wages halved...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Height might come into it, too. Having already lost Madine, if those four are out we'd lose Pratley (6ft) and Dervite (6ft 3in). Thorpe is 6ft 2in, Derik 6ft, Karacan 5ft 10in. I don't know whether Parky actually counts his six-footers and strives for a minimum, although I know Mourinho did at porto (and quite probably since).

It would be tempting to revert to a back four, if Parky trusts Wabara (not that I don't: in his only start thus far he was rusty and rushed, but should now be up to speed and has done well at other clubs). But 4231 raises the old question of how to accommodate ALF; if he's up front alone, are we diminishing the effect of Cross Machine Morais?

Also, here's a thought. Against teams who sit back, the two wider centre-backs often become auxiliary midfielders recycling the ball. Beevers isn't amazingly comfortable and neither is Dervite but Derik doesn't mind being on the ball, and can pick a ping.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:30 pm
Is Karacan even available? He signed on March 11th, and IIRC we were allowed a one-month deal because the League believed we didn't have enough players (Spearing was still out, etc). It's now April 13th, Spearing has come back, and Karacan hasn't started a game.

As the Football League said when we complained about not being able to register Jeff King:
The club, under EFL regulation 41.7, is able to apply for an emergency month long signing up until the fourth Thursday in March if it is unable to name 18 players on the team sheet for any match due to suspensions or injuries.
I'm sure this "injury crisis" isn't misinformation the club is putting out in order to get an extension on Karacan. I don't even know if such an extension is legally possible... which is a shame, as Karacan is a decent player, and might have to be our Spearing next year if the Scouser himself doesn't want his wages halved...
Iles said in his video thing earlier this week, that he understood the club were speaking to the FL about Karacan, but like you wasn't sure extension was an option under any circumstances. Said the club were being quiet on the subject generally though.

If it was a "made up list" to influence such a decision one would imagine they'd have included another midfield player in there.

Anyhow, I suspected the story about Madine and Taylor being back was misinformation and I suspect this is equally designed to prevent Oldham from knowing who will be starting.

Actually think Derik for Dervite might be a decent option generally. Pratley missing would be tougher as there isn't an obvious swap in there.

Don't think Taylor's calf was ever being risked on that pitch!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:47 pm
If it was a "made up list" to influence such a decision one would imagine they'd have included another midfield player in there.
Maybe, but the FL decide on numbers available, not numbers of suitable players for that position. As per their quote above.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:51 pm

I am so happy I am just skipping everywhere!! I have tweeted and then emailed BWFC Ticket office every day this week for 2 oldham tickets. They emailed me back this morning, to ring them, but only saw the email at 4.00pm. When I rang them they had 2 oldham tickets left so purchased them, collect them tomorrow...so WELL DONE the ticket office :pray: :pray: :pray:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:06 pm

twilight wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:51 pm
I am so happy I am just skipping everywhere!! I have tweeted and then emailed BWFC Ticket office every day this week for 2 oldham tickets. They emailed me back this morning, to ring them, but only saw the email at 4.00pm. When I rang them they had 2 oldham tickets left so purchased them, collect them tomorrow...so WELL DONE the ticket office :pray: :pray: :pray:
Brilliant. Enjoy!

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:06 pm
twilight wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:51 pm
Brilliant. Enjoy!
Hope everybody who goes enjoys :) Thanks DSB

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:45 pm
Height might come into it, too. Having already lost Madine, if those four are out we'd lose Pratley (6ft) and Dervite (6ft 3in). Thorpe is 6ft 2in, Derik 6ft, Karacan 5ft 10in. I don't know whether Parky actually counts his six-footers and strives for a minimum, although I know Mourinho did at porto (and quite probably since).

It would be tempting to revert to a back four, if Parky trusts Wabara (not that I don't: in his only start thus far he was rusty and rushed, but should now be up to speed and has done well at other clubs). But 4231 raises the old question of how to accommodate ALF; if he's up front alone, are we diminishing the effect of Cross Machine Morais?

Also, here's a thought. Against teams who sit back, the two wider centre-backs often become auxiliary midfielders recycling the ball. Beevers isn't amazingly comfortable and neither is Dervite but Derik doesn't mind being on the ball, and can pick a ping.
Wabara played 90 mins for the rezzies on Tuesday. Henry & Thorpe also played.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:27 pm

Only a view,even a hunch, but I'm opting for a bit of managerial gamesman ship here. I doubt Taylor will apear but Madine will, also Pratley will be available. Even if Dervite is unavailabe, Howard, Beevers, Wheater, Vela, Spearing, Morais, Derik, Clayton and Alf are all first XI material and Wilkinson and Long should all be fit and ready with Henry fine to be used as an impact sub. Moxey will be used in all probablility and Madine if fit, so no real changes anywhere? Any mention of the Warbara fella anywhere?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Few problems of their own. One apparently being the unavailability of a certain C Taylor.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:35 pm

If that's a problem, BWFCi should stop being a panic fanny.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:18 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:30 pm
Few problems of their own. One apparently being the unavailability of a certain C Taylor.
But ex-Wanderer Tope Obadeyi might be an option at left wing back to mark Morais. I can't remember much about Tope apart from him being quite quick. Would be a risk for them.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:28 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:30 pm
Interesting:

1. Taylor is playing regularly. Should be a doable deal in summer to free up another squad space (whether for embargo or simple overheads).

2. Sheridan, who has long liked a 3-5-2, has been doing so again recently. But:

3. He likes to match the oppo's formation. Chance to pull wool over eyes?

4. Lee Croft, who went in studs-up on Nicky Hunt in 2005, is still a violent dick. Hope he's not up against Morais.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:16 am

Lee Croft rings a bell, which one of ours did he nobble then? Was he at Norwich?

If Chris Taylor is a loss then yeah we should have enough. Having said that Taylor and Procter for me just didnt fit here. Doesnt mean they wont elsewhere. Suspect the club/ground/expectation was too much for 'em.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Lee Anderson has just tweeted that Karacan's extension has been confirmed, which must mean that Pratley is definitely out?

I know that they've been difficult with us when we've tried to register our youngsters, and that that's something which wouldn't appear to be in anyone's interest, but someone at the FL must like us because this transfer embargo doesn't half allow for a lot more flexibility than I expected it to.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:54 pm

It doesn't necessarily mean that Pratley is out, we lost Alnwick for the season a few weeks ago so this would free up a squad position I would think.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:16 am
Lee Croft rings a bell, which one of ours did he nobble then? Was he at Norwich?

If Chris Taylor is a loss then yeah we should have enough. Having said that Taylor and Procter for me just didnt fit here. Doesnt mean they wont elsewhere. Suspect the club/ground/expectation was too much for 'em.
Taylor came from Blackburn Proctor from Bradford, both with decent sized crowds. I think Taylor has just lost whatever he once had. Had a nosey on one of their forums and the initial goodwill he had from his previous spell appears to have disappeared.
Proctor has been poor, and done little for Carlisle, but he'd have been useful in Madine's absence. He's looked useful occasionally as a sub as well. Can't see him contributing in the championship though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:04 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:16 am
Nicky Hunt, like i said :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... olton.html

Good news on Karacan.