Latic Acid Test. Oldham Athletic - Away. Sat 15th Apr 17 @ 12.30

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Latic Acid Test. Oldham Athletic - Away. Sat 15th Apr 17 @ 12.30

Post by twilight » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:08 pm

I think we are trying really hard to mess it all up. Think we played into Oldhams hands a little by only playing Le Fondre up front...we are not winning anything like that and Howard and Moxey were poor, really poor. If we can't beat 10 man Oldham, because believe you me they were rubbish, I just feel we have felt too comfortable in that 2nd spot!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:01 pm
Without Madine we clearly lack any way of opening teams up.
And this is exactly where Peter Thompson wins the argument hands-down regarding Parky having no plan B.

We've no target man but still played it long to a midget playing in a one. What the feck did he think might happen?

A special mention for Moxey today for being even shitter than his usual shit. Second in every challenge, whenever he had the ball he was either immediately dispossessed or actually passed it to a blue shirt. Howard in the nets fared little better either - questionable handling, one example of which gifted them the goal, and truly dreadful distribution, windy or not.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:32 pm
We actually didn't play that bad especially 1st half, Spearing excellent & Derik played well, but Moxey & Howard were poor IMO - but why only start with ALF up front on his own on that pitch ?

Slight blip today, but I'm staying positive we are still in a fantastic position - we are going up at Port Vale....

I still don't rate PP though, especially tactically - if we can only win when we play direct to Madine / big target man, why on earth did he sign Long and the lad from Brum in the Jan transfer window, why not try and get another big target man if PP can only play one way.

Also, something isn't quite right with regards to the Madine situation - last week him & Taylor were close to starting today, now its Taylor should start on Tues but Madine is still very doubtful - its only a shoulder injury FFS, surely strong painkillers should get him through a game especially with what's at stake - but IMO definitely more to this Madine situation than just a shoulder injury.

If Madine is out on Tues, he needs to play 2 up front and start Long with ALF
I thought we looked wrose when Clayton came on.

I think the reason is that Clayton is shit. And no way was that pitch going to suit Long. But we don't have the passers to get Long the service he needs.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Had not appreciaed we had such a bad record against teams with a man sent off.

When Henry had the ball last 5 and he cut in from the left, said it all really. Everyone stood in the D so we had to get a shitty floaty chippy waft into the middle from the centre circle and it went out of play. We were really poor out wide where they were weakest today. No plan B is correct.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
And this is exactly where Peter Thompson wins the argument hands-down regarding Parky having no plan B.

We've no target man but still played it long to a midget playing in a one. What the feck did he think might happen?

A special mention for Moxey today for being even shitter than his usual shit. Second in every challenge, whenever he had the ball he was either immediately dispossessed or actually passed it to a blue shirt. Howard in the nets fared little better either - questionable handling, one example of which gifted them the goal, and truly dreadful distribution, windy or not.

I don't genuinely think we can do anything else. We passed it well enough first half but there is no incision. We aren't good enough to play like that.

I think without the embargo, with a fair wind he could balance the squad a bit better. Spearing, Vela, Pratley and Derik are too pedestrian. If he has chance to improve but still goes with that next season Id say the one dimensional tag is fair. But right now I think he's simply had to maximise what he's got.

Like Allardyce early days.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:48 pm

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... 1-0-bolton

UK Only highlights

Poor Keeping imo.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Exactly what we did v Chesterfield it sounds like. If we know we're going to be without Madine, then spending a week trying to teach Alf to try and win headers against 6'3" defenders, doesn't constitute much of a "plan"

He realised that error last week and tried Wilkinson. Given that didn't work, reverting back to Plan A is pisspoor.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:54 pm

Also, re the one dimensional thing. Why can't the likes of Le Fondre, Long and Clayton step up and be men and graft and be physical like Madine. Instead they are total passengers unless a chance is handed on a plate for them. Even then they missed.

Sick of it all being about a manager. Sure they aren't big lads, but they can and should do more. Le Fondre had plenty of ball to feet today. And did feck all with it. And Clayton offered absolutely nowt when he came on.

Dean Holdsworth wasn't exactly, huge but boy did he work hard to be a target up front on his own. Sick of making excuses for Le Fondre etc....all of them are men, yet cannot do the hard work when it really counts.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:53 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Exactly what we did v Chesterfield it sounds like. If we know we're going to be without Madine, then spending a week trying to teach Alf to try and win headers against 6'3" defenders, doesn't constitute much of a "plan"

He realised that error last week and tried Wilkinson. Given that didn't work, reverting back to Plan A is pisspoor.
Just to be clear, we played a lot into Le Fondres feet today. Much of the long ball first half was aimed at Pratley on the left. That was a plan B. We did play nice football. Hard to break down a good defence though, when nobody in the team has much in the way of attacking flair. And your striker needs a chance handing on a plate for him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Whew, so we didn't miss Madine then...

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:48 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't genuinely think we can do anything else. We passed it well enough first half but there is no incision. We aren't good enough to play like that.

I think without the embargo, with a fair wind he could balance the squad a bit better. Spearing, Vela, Pratley and Derik are too pedestrian. If he has chance to improve but still goes with that next season Id say the one dimensional tag is fair. But right now I think he's simply had to maximise what he's got.

I'm not entirely certain the tag is fair. Yes, we're struggling right now. But pre-Christmas he had a side playing pretty good football. It's all about the personnel, and right now we don't have the players with the individual skill and nous to create those passing moves.

Not that there's anything wrong with functional teams. I watch to see us win, and I'm happy when we do that regardless of the performance. But I think it's fair to say that Parkinson would love to see us flowing down the pitch and free-scoring just as much as we would. Hopefully, if the embargo gets lifted, next season we can bring in the staff to enable us to play that way again.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:02 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:58 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm not entirely certain the tag is fair. Yes, we're struggling right now. But pre-Christmas he had a side playing pretty good football. It's all about the personnel, and right now we don't have the players with the individual skill and nous to create those passing moves.

Not that there's anything wrong with functional teams. I watch to see us win, and I'm happy when we do that regardless of the performance. But I think it's fair to say that Parkinson would love to see us flowing down the pitch and free-scoring just as much as we would. Hopefully, if the embargo gets lifted, next season we can bring in the staff to enable us to play that way again.
Yep. People forget he's had the flair players ripped out the squad. And been left with shit like Clayton. Who everyone moans about not playing, then he comes on and offers nowt.

Getting a bit sick of strikers being carried and people blaming the manager. More than enough ball in the box today, our strikers were simply not good enough to capitalise. And were totally ineffective outside it.

Le Fondre isn't earning his wages.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:57 pm
Take the best most effective striker out of any side in the world and it will be a problem of one sort or another.

Plan B is just bollocks in my view. We played differently today, but weren't good enough to take our chances. Then he went two up and it opened up a counter attack for them.

Whatever way you argue it, we miss our first choice players and don't play as well without them. I don't think that has much to do with Plan B and everything about the replacements not being good enough.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Mate, I'm no Brian Clough, but even I can see that knocking it long to ALF, playing in a one, is a non starter. So try something else, try anything, but don't try something that is doomed to failure from the off.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Are we saying hoofing the ball left rather than say straight represents a genuine plan B?

Anyway, onwards and upwards as we're going to smash the bucket shakers on Tuesday :oyea:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:05 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Take the best most effective striker out of any side in the world and it will be a problem of one sort or another.

Plan B is just bollocks in my view. We played differently today, but weren't good enough to take our chances. Then he went two up and it opened up a counter attack for them.

Whatever way you argue it, we miss our first choice players and don't play as well without them. I don't think that has much to do with Plan B and everything about the replacements not being good enough.
So, today was about not taking chances? In that case I fail to see how Madine would have helped much as whilst I acknowledge he puts himself about to try and provide a target, taking chances is somewhere close to the bottom end of his list of attributes.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Mate, I'm no Brian Clough, but even I can see that knocking it long to ALF, playing in a one, is a non starter. So try something else, try anything, but don't try something that is doomed to failure from the off.
We did do something else today. I'm not sure what people expect. How should we have opened up Oldham today? Bearing in mind he pretty much threw everything at it last 15 minutes and nobody looked like they had some inspirational ability to add in.

We knocked the ball around well first half. How else were we meant to play?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:05 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

So, today was about not taking chances? In that case I fail to see how Madine would have helped much as whilst I acknowledge he puts himself about to try and provide a target, taking chances is somewhere close to the bottom end of his list of attributes.
We'd have carried more threat generally. And created more. At the very least their centre halves would have had something to do.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:13 pm

We hit the bar twice after going two up top. Let's not conveniently airbrush that out. Only Parkinson is to blame for playing ALF up top in a one.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:13 pm
We hit the bar twice after going two up top. Let's not conveniently airbrush that out. Only Parkinson is to blame for playing ALF up top in a one.
We hit the bar twice when Wheater and Beevers won intial headers, having two up front (who did feck all) didn't really contribute to that.

We also had a point until we went two up. Not sure Clayton would get in a pub team, lad is shite.