Latic Acid Test. Oldham Athletic - Away. Sat 15th Apr 17 @ 12.30

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Latic Acid Test. Oldham Athletic - Away. Sat 15th Apr 17 @ 12.30

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:53 am
Yes, but we don't have a target upfront either at the moment. As you have observed on many occasions.
Yep. So in that situation, I think all we can do is keep games as tight as possible and hope we score off a set piece. Like we did against Southend, Scunny and Oldham. We just have to hope we come out the right side of the scrambles and set pieces.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Great plan. Just not bother. I hope Parky is thinking along different lines.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:25 pm
Great plan. Just not bother. I hope Parky is thinking along different lines.
Given we've established we don't have the players to pass our way into the box effectively. And we've tried every combination of non Madine strikers we have. What are you suggesting? We've pretty much tried everything. It hasn't worked.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:36 pm

#widthhighupthepitch
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:36 pm
#widthhighupthepitch
^^

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:37 pm
Prufrock wrote:
#widthhighupthepitch
^^
This also....he could also be more positive from the start - could try playing 2 strikers from the start and giving the opposition something to worry about as opposed to him worrying about the opposition all of the time.

And stop firing long balls to a 5ft 9" striker, surrounded by 2 x 6ft plus defenders

If I was PP I'd also be having a word or three with Madine, and I'd tell him what's at stake and to stop being such a soft cnut and play through the pain barrier for the next 3 games

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:18 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:37 pm
Prufrock wrote:
#widthhighupthepitch
^^

This also....he could also be more positive from the start - could try playing 2 strikers from the start and giving the opposition something to worry about as opposed to him worrying about the opposition all of the time.

And stop firing long balls to a 5ft 9" striker, surrounded by 2 x 6ft plus defenders

If I was PP I'd also be having a word or three with Madine, and I'd tell him what's at stake and to stop being such a soft cnut and play through the pain barrier for the next 3 games
Erm - what?? We've played with two strikers the vast majority of the last 3 months.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:32 pm

This thread is the Oldham thread is it not....

We started with ALF up front on his own yesterday - hence my comment

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Our two plans seem to be 1) whack it up top 2) pass it to Morais. If there is no threat down the left then it's all too easy to double up on Morais and drop someone on Alf/Long that's better in the air than either of them.

As BWFCi says, that leaves us scrabbling for a set piece. We need something on our left, even if that is only a notional threat, it get's them guessing a little more and might open the right up a little more.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:03 pm
Our two plans seem to be 1) whack it up top 2) pass it to Morais. If there is no threat down the left then it's all too easy to double up on Morais and drop someone on Alf/Long that's better in the air than either of them.

As BWFCi says, that leaves us scrabbling for a set piece. We need something on our left, even if that is only a notional threat, it get's them guessing a little more and might open the right up a little more.
Completely agree with all of this. Andy Taylor isn't exactly Garrincha but at least he can link up with others to construct a move, whereas poor old Moxey is a dead shell walking.

Out of interest, and backing up your main point, all this harking back to the Total Football days of Clough and Ameobi had me checking the records. According to Tranfermarkt, each of those fine fellows contributed one league assist. Morais is obviously top (12), then Madine (7) and Spearing (6); the only other players to contribute more than one league assist are Vela (2) and Mark Davies (2).

As a statistic assists are somewhat reductive but also instructive. Take out set-pieces (probably the majority of Spearing's input) and the target man, and we've very rarely created that much. I would love to see Sammy (or for that matter Zach) back, but let's not pretend that we have ever been free-flowing, or that Parkinson hasn't done a remarkable job of making a little go a very long way.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:23 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Completely agree with all of this. Andy Taylor isn't exactly Garrincha but at least he can link up with others to construct a move, whereas poor old Moxey is a dead shell walking.

Out of interest, and backing up your main point, all this harking back to the Total Football days of Clough and Ameobi had me checking the records. According to Tranfermarkt, each of those fine fellows contributed one league assist. Morais is obviously top (12), then Madine (7) and Spearing (6); the only other players to contribute more than one league assist are Vela (2) and Mark Davies (2).

As a statistic assists are somewhat reductive but also instructive. Take out set-pieces (probably the majority of Spearing's input) and the target man, and we've very rarely created that much. I would love to see Sammy (or for that matter Zach) back, but let's not pretend that we have ever been free-flowing, or that Parkinson hasn't done a remarkable job of making a little go a very long way.
Ameobi was our outlet. We haven't got an outlet now. Someone to give the ball to who can hold it, or beat a man under pressure. Hence going up to Madine. Morais is great but not the same halfway line in tight spaces that Ameobi offered.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Also, watching Man Utd vs Chelsea. The team top of English football, struggle when a key player is missing. Just like we do. Not sure that makes Conte a poor manager or a one trick pony. It is just hard to cope without certain players sometimes.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Pinning it all on Ameobi is a load of shite. Infact pinning it on any one player is for the most part. We, along with every other team not called Sheff Utd, are just not good enough to consistently perform and win games. Early in the season we twatted Gillingham on Sky with Sammy and Clough looking a class apart, but then we went and lost 1-0 at Chesterfield the very next game.

We've been up and down all season, and fortunately for us our last good run came close enough to the end of the season that it should see us home.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:48 pm
Also, watching Man Utd vs Chelsea. The team top of English football, struggle when a key player is missing. Just like we do. Not sure that makes Conte a poor manager or a one trick pony. It is just hard to cope without certain players sometimes.
Maybe they lost a one off game of football against one of the most expensive teams in the world, coached by one of the most successful managers to have ever lived?

But hey, narratives, champions-elect Chelsea are entirely reliant on Marcos Alonso.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:50 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Ameobi was our outlet. We haven't got an outlet now. Someone to give the ball to who can hold it, or beat a man under pressure. Hence going up to Madine. Morais is great but not the same halfway line in tight spaces that Ameobi offered.
Now you're resorting to talking bollocks.

Look at our goals in March. You're right, Morais doesn't "hold the ball". Morais doesn't need to hold the ball, if instead he's putting on a plate for someone to actually score - which is actually rather more beneficial to us than the ability to "hold the ball". He does also "beat a man under pressure"...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:15 am

Conditions were tough, and we didn't play to them at all.

One to forget. Hard to pinpoint things, as it really was a warzone type of match.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:46 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:50 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Now you're resorting to talking bollocks.

Look at our goals in March. You're right, Morais doesn't "hold the ball". Morais doesn't need to hold the ball, if instead he's putting on a plate for someone to actually score - which is actually rather more beneficial to us than the ability to "hold the ball". He does also "beat a man under pressure"...
When deep, you could lump a ball towards Ameobi, he often could bring it under control, turn and run at teams, getting us out.

Morais isn't the same kind of player. His end product is far better than Ameobi's.

Not sure anything is controversial about that.