If we can't find our tackle, we live like a Monk. Bolton v Boro 9/9/17.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: If we can't find our tackle, we live like a Monk. Bolton v Boro 9/9/17.

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:17 pm

I think Dervites been better than Beevers, but getting Wheavers back together makes sense. Argument for both really but I think Wheater should start.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Hmm. Looks like Ameobi might not be playing, considering he's just been announced for a meet-the-players with Josh Vela at Bolton Central, 1.30pm Saturday.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:20 pm
Hmm. Looks like Ameobi might not be playing, considering he's just been announced for a meet-the-players with Josh Vela at Bolton Central, 1.30pm Saturday.
Yeah sounds like he won't be in the 18. I wonder if he is going through pre season like work with Allamby to get him Parky fit before he is selected??

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:52 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:20 pm
Which makes me ponder on why such an event coincides with an important home game which you might think Vela and anyone else might be interested enough to want to watch? Just wondering...?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:34 pm

They can though? The idea is to do something before kick off to get the kiddies in I imagine? Did you see it was at 130pm?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:26 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:34 pm
They can though? The idea is to do something before kick off to get the kiddies in I imagine? Did you see it was at 130pm?
Ah, I didn't realise Bolton Centreal was at the Macron, thought it was in Bolton itself. My error.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:23 am

http://the4thofficial.net/2017/09/4-1-2 ... wanderers/

^^ Some information on how Middlesbrough might line up. That looks a good team, personally I would prefer the 6ft4in Gestede to be fit and playing up against our central defenders, given our biggest weakness appears to be stopping the opposition's attacking midfielders and wingers. Hopefully switching to 4-5-1 will help with that...

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 am

Bolton 1 - Boro 3

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:45 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 am
Bolton 1 - Boro 3
Thanks for that bit of good cheer P.T. I'll take your 1-3 and reverse it. 3-1 Whites... :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:54 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:45 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 am
Bolton 1 - Boro 3
Thanks for that bit of good cheer P.T. I'll take your 1-3 and reverse it. 3-1 Whites... :wink:
:D
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:39 am

If we are to start taking points off teams like Boro we need to be nasty. Compact, hard to break down. We aren't going to outfootball these sides. We need to take an Allardyce/Megson approach. Our only hope is to frustrate them, physically match them and hope we can nick a goal from a set piece. I think the team needs selecting on that basis. We can't go into these games carrying anyone not able to do that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:42 am

The constant battle between Peter Thompson's relentless negativism and Tango's unremitting positivity is giving me psychological trauma: PT-TD PTSD...

Anyways, per BN, PP's ready to toss his new No.12 straight into the XI – perhaps. “He’ll go straight into the squad and we’ll make a decision on whether that’s in the starting 11. He’s been training at Cardiff all the time and has been involved in pre-season so we’ve had a look at him and been pleased with what we’ve seen.”

Also sounds like it's back to a back four: “We said right at the start of the season that when we lost Sammy (Ameobi) and Josh (Vela) that it made it difficult to go 4-2-3-1. They were key players to lose. Bringing Craig in and having Sammy not far away, making good progress, means we have better options, good pace and energy in the wider areas. Those players tend to cover the most distance and at the highest intensity as well, so at 60-70 minutes the fresh legs can be the difference between winning and losing.”

Sammy's not back yet, though: according to Iles (not a direct Parky quote), "Sammy Ameobi is still a couple of weeks away from getting involved."

In another BN story, Iles says Karacan could be back. PP: "He has trained well this week. He was outstanding against Sheffield Wednesday. He’s a complete modern day midfielder with terrific energy.”

Parky also noted that referee's chief Dave Allison has apologised and admitted David Meyler should have been sent off for the Karacan-knacking kick: “It was a very reckless challenge and Dave phoned me up on the Sunday to say they had got it wrong, it was a straight red. But thankfully the injury wasn’t that serious, it was just soft tissue damage."

But more generally, we need to show that sort of snarl. PP:
We are an underdog on Saturday against Middlesbrough, we’re one of the underdogs in the Championship, so we need to start acting like it. We need to show more bite and make sure we give ourselves a chance.

In patches we have shown we can compete but we have to be at our very best. I believe we have got players capable of getting results at this level but we need to improve areas in our game. I think decision-making has got to get better, there has been a bit of a lack of desire around the penalty box. All those little bits of detail are important.

Yes, we’ve come up a level and we’re playing against better players but the lads are honest enough to have sat through the footage with me and hold their hands up and say ‘come on, let’s improve’ - it’s all we can do.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:08 pm

I dislike myself for being so negative, but I can only see an absolute hammering tomorrow. 1-4 and the beginning of a crisis. :cry:
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:46 pm

0-0.
The tide it is a-turning.
Businesswoman of the year.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:08 pm
I dislike myself for being so negative, but I can only see an absolute hammering tomorrow. 1-4 and the beginning of a crisis. :cry:
Me too but I was thinking 0-4. I'm hoping Boro have a really bad day and we can scrape a 0-0 draw.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:08 pm
A crisis? After what we've been through the past few years I'd have thought that losing a few games would be in perspective. But clearly not. We're in a division where we knew it would be tough. We've picked up some bad injuries at the start to make it tougher. We've been well beaten in 3 games if we're honest and scrapped two draws. We're now playing one of the richest teams in the league. Should we lose, it will be disappointing. But crisis? Crisis is when you're looking at your club not existing anymore.

This isn't close.

Frustrating maybe. But when coming up everyone knew it was going to be extremely difficult.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Ok I've read some of the comments and I'm willing to change my opinion in regards to the score tomorrow....

Bolton 1 Boro 5

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Per BN, PP checking on the readiness of Josh Cullen after his 10,000-mile round trip to Azerbaijan to skipper the Republic of Ireland's U21 team to victory.
We didn’t want him to go because he had a dead leg but the Irish insisted he went and he proved himself fit. Obviously, as captain, they wanted him to play, which is absolutely fine.

He came in and did a recovery session on Thursday but we’ll assess him again today (Friday) and tomorrow to see whether he can play against Middlesbrough. It is a long trip and we’ve got quite a few games coming up so we will have to be careful.
Meanwhile, Vela is "a number of weeks" off: “Josh is making good progress. If anyone can reduce the time scale of coming back from injury, it’s him, because he’ll be determined to get back in. He was a big part of what we did last year and I think he’s a player with a big future.”

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:45 pm
Ok I've read some of the comments and I'm willing to change my opinion in regards to the score tomorrow....

Bolton 1 Boro 5
:lol: you won't out-negative me you bastards!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:25 pm

1 nil us, with boro hitting the woodwork 6 times, having 2 sent off and 3 clear penalties denied.
Monk's perfectly coiffured side parting to be ruffled by a grinning Parky at the end.