If we can't find our tackle, we live like a Monk. Bolton v Boro 9/9/17.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: If we can't find our tackle, we live like a Monk. Bolton v Boro 9/9/17.

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 pm

It is early days but he (Darby) hasn't looked as good as Lawrie Wilson who we ditched. And if he is the better of the two right backs we signed we seem to have replaced Wilson with 2 inferior players!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Ref the embargo question and ownership of B.W.F.C, just what does the owner own? The Macron must be a desirable chunk of real estate in addition to the asset value of the hotel, carparks and training facilities. If the club did actually blow up as a football/sport business, who would benefit from the end product; would Eddie Davies still have any say at the end of the day? It's after all, just a plot of land albeit a very valuable one, kept valuable right now as a customer venue. When you take the word football out of it. Who owns it? Burnden Park was the centre of the world once, now its Asda and a police headquarters etc. Bolton Palias was a landmark dance hall venue once, now it's a hotel, car park, student flats or whatever. In two words; real estate. Most of the big-hitter wholesalers have upped stakes out of Bolton as if nothing is more permanent than last year's profits. Football/sport is an area where supply and demand are a bit of a muddy pond. I don't expect my questions even have clear-cut answers.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:07 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:39 am
Credit to bristol_Wanderer3 for getting his thread title mentioned on Channel 5's championship goals. Did chuckle when I heard it read out.
I didn't see it! Sounds funny, what did they say? Is it still watchable anywhere? link?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:41 pm

Don't think Darby has ever played above tier three, unless it was like two minutes as a sub when he was a kid at Liverpool. CBA checking.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:18 pm
Ref the embargo question and ownership of B.W.F.C, just what does the owner own? The Macron must be a desirable chunk of real estate in addition to the asset value of the hotel, carparks and training facilities. If the club did actually blow up as a football/sport business, who would benefit from the end product; would Eddie Davies still have any say at the end of the day? It's after all, just a plot of land albeit a very valuable one, kept valuable right now as a customer venue. When you take the word football out of it. Who owns it? Burnden Park was the centre of the world once, now its Asda and a police headquarters etc. Bolton Palias was a landmark dance hall venue once, now it's a hotel, car park, student flats or whatever. In two words; real estate. Most of the big-hitter wholesalers have upped stakes out of Bolton as if nothing is more permanent than last year's profits. Football/sport is an area where supply and demand are a bit of a muddy pond. I don't expect my questions even have clear-cut answers.
The land is owned by Burnden Leisure which is the controlling company for the club (so in effect now inner circle investment (Ken Anderson). It's value is something of a fair amount of dispute amongst those who have a view on these things. If Burnden Leisure went pop I'm not sure anyone stands to benefit at all. Other than perhaps the bloke who owns the Middlebrook who I'm sure would welcome the land in a cheap deal.

Those running football clubs tend to vastly over-estimate the value of the land their ground is built on. There are a number of planning restrictions in place as I understand it on the area around the Macron that will decrease its value. However, there are a variety of views on what that value is.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 am

I guess that the market for second-hand football stadiums isn't particularly buoyant and the land on which it stands is the only asset. I'm no civil engineer so don't know if the hotel and the north stand offices could be saved, but my understanding is that the whole deal's held up by the floodlights and roof structure which leans in on itself (push your fingertips together - like that)
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:31 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:41 pm
Don't think Darby has ever played above tier three, unless it was like two minutes as a sub when he was a kid at Liverpool. CBA checking.
Don't be despondent DSB! You're a statistical goldmine.
It's a slippery slope, next we'll have Tango predicting 3 nil home defeats.

However even when not trying you have proved to be correct. He came on a 90th min sub in his one Premier League appearance.
Also once started in the Champions League!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:07 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:39 am
Credit to bristol_Wanderer3 for getting his thread title mentioned on Channel 5's championship goals. Did chuckle when I heard it read out.
I didn't see it! Sounds funny, what did they say? Is it still watchable anywhere? link?
I still have the recording, so I can get it up on the telly and record it onto my phone, but then I don't know how to post it up on here.

It's as well you got in before me as I'm guessing that Mr Murray be not have been so keen to run with my "Garry Monk Rhymes with Spunk - Boro to Wank All Over Us". :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
The land is owned by Burnden Leisure which is the controlling company for the club (so in effect now inner circle investment (Ken Anderson). It's value is something of a fair amount of dispute amongst those who have a view on these things. If Burnden Leisure went pop I'm not sure anyone stands to benefit at all. Other than perhaps the bloke who owns the Middlebrook who I'm sure would welcome the land in a cheap deal.

Those running football clubs tend to vastly over-estimate the value of the land their ground is built on. There are a number of planning restrictions in place as I understand it on the area around the Macron that will decrease its value. However, there are a variety of views on what that value is.
With the current incumbent's of the ruling council, a nod in the right direction should more than suffice to put that right!
When we went up to the Prem under allardyce, our squad was poor, with plenty of journeymen but they were well drilled and bar a couple of blowouts made it difficult for teams to beat them.
Sums up what most expected this season from Parkinson, I think he is incapable of delivering.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:21 am

It was pretty dreadful. 2 decent efforts by Madine aside, we didn't lay a glove on them. Only consolation was that it wasn't 7 or 8.

Money doesn't stop your players tackling
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:54 am

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:47 am

When we went up to the Prem under allardyce, our squad was poor, with plenty of journeymen but they were well drilled and bar a couple of blowouts made it difficult for teams to beat them.
Sums up what most expected this season from Parkinson, I think he is incapable of delivering.
I agree. Though I think relatively Allardyce had some advantages. Gardner, Ricketts, Bergsson - not household names but at the time relative to even the premiership they had quality that we don't have in this squad relative to the league it is in.

Ricketts made a huge difference that season. If we had a striker like that now who you could leave up on their own had pace, and create one chance for and they score we'd definitely be better off.

With no transfer window in place he could also add more players gradually - our only real summer signing was Pedersen. During the season in came likes of NGotty, Youri, Bobic etc...We started that season with the side that finished the last (in the main). The spirit and momentum carried us through the first few games and bought us time when the bad run hit in the winter.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:42 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:31 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:41 pm
Don't be despondent DSB! You're a statistical goldmine.
It's a slippery slope, next we'll have Tango predicting 3 nil home defeats.

However even when not trying you have proved to be correct. He came on a 90th min sub in his one Premier League appearance.
Also once started in the Champions League!
Cheers LE. I thought I remembered something like that from when I compiled the "higher-tier experience" thing over summer. Amnd for the record, the reason I couldn't be arsed wasn't an overwhelming despondency about the club's situation - it was just me being knackered, 15 hours after getting up, checking TW one last time before kip, with the vague aim of getting something cheerful to read – hope of hope... :D

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 am
TANGODANCER wrote:

Orbit Developments stumped up cash for the club to stop us going under - the success of Middlebrook is also dependent on the footfall of footy fans.

If the stadium goes, it's just another also-ran development of shops nowhere near anything
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"