The Blades to stick the knife in? Bolton v Sheffield Utd 12/9/17.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

The Blades to stick the knife in? Bolton v Sheffield Utd 12/9/17.

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:05 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... eld_United_/

Personally after Saturday I am finding it hard to contemplate another game, but that is what we have to do as we play Sheffield United tomorrow.

They are playing well, they are very good at getting everyone into the midfield area and dominating possession whilst we are struggling to find a fit midfield to play for this game, and the ones that have played there and will play Tuesday have been outplayed in all but one game this season. Everything points to a 0-3, but this is BWFC, and it is often when things look at their bleakest that good things happen..

The article asks, "which Wanderers side would you pick"? Parky has a real job on here. It is a massive struggle for me to imagine a side we can play that can win. Wheater, Derik and Darby sound doubtful and given we have 2 games a week throughout September look likely to be out. Taylor sounds like he might be back. How about 4-4-1-1 and hope we can take advantage of their relative weakness in both boxes?

Alnwick; Little, Dervite, Burke, Taylor, Noone, Cullen, Karacan, Morais, Armstrong (or ALF), Madine.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Blades to stick the knife in? Bolton v Sheffield Utd 12/9/17.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 am

We're going to get another hammering. As sad as that might be the fact we can barely field a fit 11 against a side bang in form speaks for itself.

Our midfield is dreadful at its best, but we're really struggling now. I suspect that there will be a temptation to revert to a back three. Put Little right wing back and Taylor on the left. Stick Morais in Vela's midfield role, Cullen and Karacan in front of the back four. Put ALF and Madine up front. Its the best I can do. Can't see any 4 at the back working with the players we have currently.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:17 am

I'm not sure about a hammering - but it will be a win for Sheff Utd

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 am
We're going to get another hammering. As sad as that might be the fact we can barely field a fit 11 against a side bang in form speaks for itself.

Our midfield is dreadful at its best, but we're really struggling now. I suspect that there will be a temptation to revert to a back three. Put Little right wing back and Taylor on the left. Stick Morais in Vela's midfield role, Cullen and Karacan in front of the back four. Put ALF and Madine up front. Its the best I can do. Can't see any 4 at the back working with the players we have currently.
I think he has to stick with the same shape, as they limited a much better side for large parts fo the game. Traore wasn't running into acres of space,hewas running through piss-weak tackles. No team shape can prevent a dodgy keeper letting an average shot through him.
It was miles better than Hull,and from what I'm told Derby. Little can come in at RB and Cullen for Dreik. Not ideal I know but that back 3 nonsense has been a disaster this season.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 am

It's also worth noting that we've played and lost to 4 promotion chasers. The two that we should be looking to get points off, we did so away from home. Also when Parky changed formation last season it took him a while to get them to make it work. Then it did and we went on a run. Obviously that's harder this season but a run of at least looking like we are willing to scrap for it would be nice.
Recently we've not looked like a Parky team. I wasn't and never will expect flowing attacking football from teams he puts out, but organisation and fight should be a given. If the next 3-4 games don't show at least this, he'll start deserving some of the criticism that comes his way. So far he's earned the right to have a bad spell and retain our full support.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:49 am

Gee, almost posted this thread title as "Blade Blunting--can we do it with donkey stones?"....I'll still say we can do it anyway..as ever. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:04 am

We're playing a side that came up with us at home. We have to look for all three points here. However, I note that they've recruited Clayton Donaldson to add to their attacking options of Billy Davies (who was on fire last season) and Ched Evans looking to score his first for them.
If we do lose tomorrow night, and my instinct tells me we will, then this season really is about damage limitation.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:19 am

The only difference between the teams last season was a midfielder that no longer plays for us - They've strengthened. Our new recruits aren't available

2-0 to them
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:31 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I think he has to stick with the same shape, as they limited a much better side for large parts fo the game. Traore wasn't running into acres of space,hewas running through piss-weak tackles. No team shape can prevent a dodgy keeper letting an average shot through him.
It was miles better than Hull,and from what I'm told Derby. Little can come in at RB and Cullen for Dreik. Not ideal I know but that back 3 nonsense has been a disaster this season.
All the 4 did was mean we had full backs (who couldn't defend) stood deep. Sure it was a little more solid. But we had far less going forwards. Noone isn't fit to start games yet IMHO. Morais did nowt as a winger and to make a 4-5-1 work you need legs in midfield to get forward. The only player who tried was Pratley and his end product as ever was woeful.

For me I'd definitely go back to a back 3 until we have the players we need fit to make a 4-5-1 work. At least with a back 3 we can have 2 up front and hope for a lucky flick on working.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:41 am

Pretty much what Bruce said. If we can't look for 3 points here against a team that came up last season then fly the white flag now.

I am not hopeful but another meek surrender without getting stuck in and they can fck off for me.

Got to stick with 451. Hopefully Cullen and Darby nowhere near the team. Taylor back fit, any doubt I think he will play regardless. Wheater injured again?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Via Marc Iles...

Derik (groin), Darby (hamstring), Taylor (calf) and Morais (knee) all big doubts for #bwfc v #twitterblades

So we're once again going in totally understrength. Injuries really are crippling us. Can't win games at this level with such a weak squad and a load of injuries piling up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:51 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:22 pm
Via Marc Iles...

Derik (groin), Darby (hamstring), Taylor (calf) and Morais (knee) all big doubts for #bwfc v #twitterblades

So we're once again going in totally understrength. Injuries really are crippling us. Can't win games at this level with such a weak squad and a load of injuries piling up.
Honestly I don't think we'd win games with a full strength squad. As I said last season, even whilst riding relatively high, question marks hover over whether Parky could take a squad beyond League 1 successfully, and I think we've found that his level is indeed league 1 (I'm not suggesting a sack for the record). I've only caught highlights and reports so far this season, but what I've read doesn't sound encouraging with respect to tactics. Injuries and financial limitations aren't helping, but so far it's sounding thoroughly unimpressive in terms of performances.

I'll go for another 3-0 loss. I still feel the same as I did a few weeks ago, I'm struggling to see fixtures where we'll be picking up points.
Oh come on. I don't buy this at all. Managers need to have the ability to compete in the market relative to their level. Last year we just about gave Parky that chance. This year, we're miles off. His squad is essentially players who've struggled recently at this level. That is why we are struggling. Not because there is some mythical glass ceiling above which a manager can't go.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:22 pm
Via Marc Iles...

I have to say that although we have signed a number of wide players, the four we have all want to play on the right, or are all better on the right. Morais is really someone who makes a yard and whips in good crosses from the right, and isn't that effective on the left, both Ameobi and Noone want to come in on their left foot from the right, and Buckley seems better when he is charging down the right wing. If we do go four at the back tomorrow, I'd be tempted to stick Robinson on the left wing. But then that leaves us unbalanced with one inverted winger (Noone) and one, who is meant to be a LB, not. I really can't pick an effective team for tomorrow at all. It will be interesting to see what Parky comes up with. His job looks an impossible one at the moment...

EDIT - Just noticed that Taylor is a big doubt so we need Robinson at LB. And Wheater isn't on that list so maybe he has recovered from his knock? I don't know. Seems a right mess...
Last edited by bristol_Wanderer3 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:16 pm

It is possible that he's good at the basics, at picking off the low hanging fruit but without the nous or imagination to get points against better teams. We bludgeoned teams into submission largely.
It's hard to tell at the moment as he's hamstrung by finances and injuries. I'd settle just for a boring organised hard to beat Parky team now.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:21 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:16 pm
It is possible that he's good at the basics, at picking off the low hanging fruit but without the nous or imagination to get points against better teams. We bludgeoned teams into submission largely.
It's hard to tell at the moment as he's hamstrung by finances and injuries. I'd settle just for a boring organised hard to beat Parky team now.
He did take Bradford to the League Cup final. I am sure Villa in the semi final played their best side, so he does have history that suggests he gets sides to perform well against better sides. I have to admit though the alarm bells are ringing. We are getting beaten up consistently in a way that no side should be.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:27 pm

There don't seem to have been any leaders on the pitch for a long time. So, if the team looks like it has no backbone, the last time it had an actual backbone was probably in the Prem. An actual leader who gave a **** about the team, who was the last one? Nolan? In all the managers since Allardyce there seems to have been a purge of anyone who might stand up to the manager or express an opinion about anything.

My neighbours are Blades so nailed on defeat... again!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:33 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:16 pm
I just don't think that happens. I think you get managers good at coping with certain types of players but can't manage top players or cope with being underdogs or whatever. But Parky has broadly the same group as last season. Think it's a simple as we've not been able to improve much but are playing teams 10 or more times better than we were last season. Not really sure why it's necessary to look beyond that.

Sweet
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Sweet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:50 pm

Nailed on 0:4

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 am

Because I'm something of a masochist I fancied making the trip up to see the match tonight, however a bus replacement service back to Manchester put paid to that FFS.

Any streams...? ae:)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 am
It's also worth noting that we've played and lost to 4 promotion chasers. The two that we should be looking to get points off, we did so away from home. Also when Parky changed formation last season it took him a while to get them to make it work. Then it did and we went on a run. Obviously that's harder this season but a run of at least looking like we are willing to scrap for it would be nice.
Recently we've not looked like a Parky team. I wasn't and never will expect flowing attacking football from teams he puts out, but organisation and fight should be a given. If the next 3-4 games don't show at least this, he'll start deserving some of the criticism that comes his way. So far he's earned the right to have a bad spell and retain our full support.
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Agree with the above. Stick to a back four. I don’t mind having two systems but to keep changing smacks less of invention than desperation, like Todd’s efforts in 95/96 to fit both Stubbs and Curcic into a system, any system.

As it is, it’ll be decided by fitness as much as form. Iles says Derik, Morais and Darby are “major doubts” and PP “is unlikely to risk Andy Taylor”, so it looks like Robinson and Little at full-back – unless he plays Burke there. Wheater seems to be fit enough to play, and although there might be nervousness about sending him out at less than 100% with his injury record, he might represent the continuity and leadership needed. Big call on Beevers, who might get another chance. PP might get Burke in there instead, or he might play the kid at right-back as he did second half Saturday (although Little wasn’t a sub and thus not an option).

Thence to midfield. If Derik’s out he’ll drop Cullen back in there with Karacan and Pratley, mainly because they’re the only options. I guess he could lose one of them for a more attacking “No.10” but for me that wouldn’t be Morais, even if he were fit – Fil’s overwhelming asset is his crossing so playing him anywhere but the right wing severely hampers his ability. Noone and Buckley might be able to play a game between them so we might see Arma or ALF drafted in, but we’re make-do-and-mend.

Which is a pity, because this is one we might try to win.