Can we get out of Gaol at Reading, or will we go home Wilde? Reading v B.W.F.C, 6TH March 8-0'clock.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Can we get out of Gaol at Reading, or will we go home Wilde? Reading v B.W.F.C, 6TH March 8-0'clock.

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:40 pm

Has Wibraham ever even contributed, never mind made a difference? (go on, please prove me wrong)

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Can we get out of Gaol at Reading, or will we go home Wilde? Reading v B.W.F.C, 6TH March 8-0'clock.

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Superb set of results elsewhere. Everyone beneath us has lost.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:43 pm

Noone and....it misses evereybody and.....goes for a goal kick. 8 mins plus. Flannagan sends one then Karajan wins a free kick in their half. And....Noone and...headed out for a corner. And....Noone sends it in and....wins another off a hasty scramble. Noone again and....Henry and...Noone and..they get a throw. In the last quarter now, six mins plus...Wilbur, Prats slips and they break and Henry goes back and Ben part clears. Moor...Tarlor for a throw to them. We clear, ref lets it go on and...Gunther has it. Alf his another over from 20 yards.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Four and a half mins extra, as Ben makes a save. Alf now and....Jem and...Holmes wins it. Beev ers now and....Noone and....he hit it at the keeper. Barford? wins a free kick 35 out. And....they gety a corner. Now then lads, no last minute sheanigins. Ben get it and sends us away. They clear and....Swift gets a free kick and Flanagan gets a card. And....Ben nips out and grabs it. almost time now...plus the added. They clear and....we get a free kick and...Evans is already booked? And Noone is down also. Come on lads, a chance to grab the glory.....come on, come on. And Noone takes the free kick and......in and...keeper punches. Burke slips up and then heads it out for a throw. And....Taylor, Prats, Henry and.....and...it comes back to Wilbur...Pratrsa cleared and....Henry gets done for a free kick despite winning the ball?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:40 pm
Has Wibraham ever even contributed, never mind made a difference? (go on, please prove me wrong)
He isn't very good.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:53 pm

And....Noone breaks and.....crosses. Blocked and....Flannagan throws and....Beevers flicks, Jem tries, they clear twice and...the ball ends up with B en. Come on lads, Wilbur and...Burke, then Swift and.....they press and Taytlor has to clear as Ben misses out. Henry gets done again and the homers get another dodgy free kick and...in and cleared and....it's all over and we get a very welcome point away. Well done lads.... :oyea: :oyea:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Magnificent point. Well done boys
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:55 pm

Can't say Alnwick has filled me full of confidence tonight. Positioning has been poor all game.

I might get a bit of flack however ...

Really should have got more out of that game.

1-1 is a poor result against that team.

14 shots and 3 on target to their 6 and 2.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Good away point. Sounds like we had chances to take all three, which may prompt the usual doom-mongers into voice, but given the results elsewhere, and particularly down the other end of the country on a Tuesday night, I'm properly happy with a point from that one.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Great point away from home ......... such a shame we couldnt take all 3 considering results going in our favour elsewhere...
Was really pleased to see Kirchoff and Flanners starting - quality players - we need a few more like that
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:10 pm

nelson66 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:59 pm
Great point away from home ......... such a shame we couldnt take all 3 considering results going in our favour elsewhere...
Was really pleased to see Kirchoff and Flanners starting - quality players - we need a few more like that
Wait till you see Reading's goal. No way Barrow would have run around Little like that.

Kirchoff was composed all the time he was on the field. Can find a player with a pass too.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:24 pm

Still a good point - especially with everyone below us losing.

If Kirchoff is half the player for us that he was for Sam at Sunderland we will be fine.
What goes around may still come around

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:40 pm

I think you are correct but Marc Iles showed some match stats earlier today for games our strikers have started. They are:

Wilbraham P4 W3 D0 L1 F7 A5
Walker P3 W1 D0 L2 F3 A4
Clough P2 W1 D1 L0 F2 A1
Le Fondre P6 W1 D2 L3 F5 A8

Perhaps he is just a lucky mascot but I like his win percentage.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:35 am

Good point.

Given the bottom 5 all lost and scored 2 goals between them despite 4 of them being at home I think we'll be absolutely fine.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:11 am

Absolute 4ucking bobbins. I'm not going again until Parkinson's sacked, Guardiola's installed and we're playing like 70's Brazil. Five points outside the relegation places isn't good enough. It's about time we spent a shitload of cash!

Either get your purse out, Anderson, or hand over to a deposed Thai despot, you c*nt. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:06 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:11 am
Absolute 4ucking bobbins. I'm not going again until Parkinson's sacked, Guardiola's installed and we're playing like 70's Brazil. Five points outside the relegation places isn't good enough. It's about time we spent a shitload of cash!

Either get your purse out, Anderson, or hand over to a deposed Thai despot, you c*nt. :)
Think you may have got lost on your way to the BN comments section sir.... :wink:

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 am

I listened on the Radio to GMR and it sounded to me like two points dropped (a bit like the reverse fixture on our patch where we were 2-0 up and cruising before we f*cked it). They made 6 changes, were shit, had their reserve goalie in nets who was playing in South Africa last season and had only made one previous start this season (against US!), were shit, gave a debut to a 17-year-old defender and were shit. And we threw Aaron fecking Wilbraham on at the death to absolutely no avail. They didn't have a shot in the second half until Taylor had to scramble something off the line with the very last kick of the game. WILBRAHAM!!! WTF. Is wee Zach not up to it? I hear Buckley and LeFawnduh both missed sitters. Costly.

I guess we did well to grind out a point without Vela and Ameobi....right? I guess we did well to come back into the game after conceeding a sloppy goal against the run of play. That's a big plus away from home. Granted.

It's still a wasted opportunity and I hope it doesn't come back to haunt us. The five point gap this morning should be seven.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am

I went. Not gonna give it the full report - “work comes first, I’m sure you’ll understand” - but here’s some thoughts.

Although Parky promised changes, not sure anybody expected seven – or for the excluded to include items of furniture like Wheater and Vela. In fact I’d go so far that if you polled every single one of The-Wanderer’s 4,274 members, not a single one would have correctly predicted the team. Most would have expected the return of Mark Little, but instead Parky waited until the Wolverhampton wing-back had served his three-match suspension to give Jon Flanagan his first start; Little wasn’t even on the bench.

Parky opted to start with the back four he’s switched to during the last two games. In came Flanagan on the right; presumably because Parky has rightly realised that there’s a difference between full-backs and wing-backs, and not everyone can do both (winces at the memory of Stephen Darby). That’s not to say Little can’t play in a 4-2-3-1, but credit to Negative One-Dimensional Parky for preferring Morais to Flanagan as a more dangerous creative option from right wing-back.

That said, I was glad to see the return of 4-2-3-1 for its first start since Madine left. Taylor came in for Robinson at left-back, although this might be more restful rotation than permanent demotion: the younger man was benched for the home games against Sunderland and Cardiff before coming straight back in, and his pace could help stretch Sheffield Wednesday this weekend. Taylor’s no wingback so this formation gives us more alternatives.

Speaking of which, Parky dropped two of Saturday’s back three - Dervite to the bench, Wheater to the stands. Beevers was partnered by Burke, whose extra pace presumably gave some insurance behind the slower wide defenders. However, it didn’t work out that way when Reading scored against the run of play. Flanagan was determined to throw it up the line to Pratley (more on him later) despite the captain being surrounded by home players. Predictably enough Reading won the aerial battle and nodded it back down the line, and two touches later Barrow was through one-on-one.

Now, some might blame Flanagan, who was easily outstripped by the Gambian, but without wishing ill on the younger man I’d say it was more Burke’s fault. When Reading nodded the throw forward, Barrow tapped inside for a straightforward give-and-go with the deeply underwhelming Chris Martin; for reasons best ascribed to youthful enthusiasm, Burke dashed in to challenge the centre-forward. It was a race he was never going to win, and Martin flicked back for Barrow, who’d already bypassed Flanagan and now had a direct diagonal route to goal. The West Ham loanee tried to rectify his mistake, but by the time he’d made his desperate lunge Barrow had shot under player-of-the-month Alnwick to give Reading a thoroughly undeserved lead. (One could wave an angry fist at Flanagan, but remember this was only his second senior start in 13 months, and even in his pomp he was never winning a foot-race with Barrow. In that situation, a centre-back’s job is to cover, not forage.)

That’s not to say Burke is a busted flush. Far from it, I like the kid and I think he gives us another option, and not just defensively: although he’s taken to knocking it long like the other centre-backs, I genuinely think he can help us play the ball out of defence a little bit more, especially if he has willing recipients in front of him.

One might be Kirchhoff. Making his first senior start since December 2016, the German was (like Flanagan) perhaps understandably rusty and not up to match speed, although it will be interesting to see how much he speeds up. A combination of stride-length and game-reading make him glide around the pitch, and hopefully as he sharpens he will be more dependably in the right place to regain possession and use it wisely. He certainly seemed keen to get the ball to his feet and seek options other than the long ball forward.

Henry was back from suspension and did his usual thing: rabble-rousing, rattling into tackles and getting The Inevitable Yellow Card. It didn’t come till injury time, but again, I think we can expect him to speed up.

In front of this new Karl-Kirchoff axis was Darren Pratley, returning to his role as The Physical No.10. He’s unimaginably far from being a trequartista but there may be something in playing him there, especially for away games: he was in essence a withdrawn target man, intended to supply flick-ons for ALF or to retain possession up the pitch. It’s not a terrible plan and it intermittently worked, also allowing him to lead the press from further up the park. It’s not the future of football but it might help us carve out a few points from here to May.

With Ameobi back-knacked and a reversion to 4-2-3-1, the scene was set for the returning hero. But Zach Clough watched on again from the bench, an unused sub for the fourth time in five games, wondering what happened.

What happened was that Parky preferred Will Buckley, who did what Will Buckley does: the occasional burst, the odd cross, mostly lumbering about. On this occasion he somehow missed a sitter, getting it caught under his bumbling feet as the goal gaped.

He wasn’t the only one. Clearly fired up to prove his point, Le Fondre worked the front role very hard, winning a surprising number of headers and carving out a handful of chances. Two of these, one in each half, he hammered so hard that for all I know they may still be rising toward the moon. All is forgiven, though, because he scored just before the break. It was somewhat fortuitous, coming as he and a defender jointly reached a cross from Morais – but it came about because he was in the six-yard box, finishing a move he had helped to start by winning and controlling a header from a punt forward.

A word at this point for Reading. The word is awful. for reasons unknown they picked a debutant kid at centre-back, Tom Holmes, who turns 18 this week. His present should be a How To Defend video from his boss, because he was frankly a liability. You might expect a kid to be outwitted by ALF, as he frequently was; you’d be disappointed if he was outsprinted, as he frequently was. ALF had the beating of him all game long.

And Bolton had the beating of Reading, who looked worse than their league position suggests. The trouble with trying to play out from the back is that when you fail, you look foolish and incapable. Reading failed, many times, to cope with the merest pressure from us. It’s an unknowable alternative universe but it’s tempting to imagine how laughable Reading would have been had they won that Wembley shootout against Huddersfield.

Their ineptitude undoubtedly helped us execute what was genuinely the best second-tier Bolton away performance I’ve seen in literally years. Now, admittedly, I haven’t been to every game, and we’ve spent large swathes of our second-tier existence being bobbins. But we may now have options: two formations, a deeper squad, replacements in key positions. I went in hope of a win, and I think it’s fair to say that many Bolton fans – while thoroughly enjoying the game – came away with a slight tinge of disappointment that we didn’t take full advantage on a night when every single one of our relegation rivals lost. Maybe we can now go to another drifting-to-struggling side, Sheffield Wednesday, with even more hope. And this time it’s genuine.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 am
I listened on the Radio to GMR and it sounded to me like two points dropped (a bit like the reverse fixture on our patch where we were 2-0 up and cruising before we f*cked it). They made 6 changes, were shit, had their reserve goalie in nets who was playing in South Africa last season and had only made one previous start this season (against US!), were shit, gave a debut to a 17-year-old defender and were shit. And we threw Aaron fecking Wilbraham on at the death to absolutely no avail. They didn't have a shot in the second half until Taylor had to scramble something off the line with the very last kick of the game. WILBRAHAM!!! WTF. Is wee Zach not up to it? I hear Buckley and LeFawnduh both missed sitters. Costly.

I guess we did well to grind out a point without Vela and Ameobi....right? I guess we did well to come back into the game after conceeding a sloppy goal against the run of play. That's a big plus away from home. Granted.

It's still a wasted opportunity and I hope it doesn't come back to haunt us. The five point gap this morning should be seven.
I mean its 2 dropped, but equally, its 5 clear with one game left. After Preston that's a miraculous position to be in.

We will need an away win somewhere, and sadly I strongly suspect as bad as Wednesday are it won't come Saturday.

But if we've found a system that helps, we've still to go to Burton (who are weak at home) and that could be key.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 am
I mean its 2 dropped, but equally, its 5 clear with one game left. After Preston that's a miraculous position to be in.

We will need an away win somewhere, and sadly I strongly suspect as bad as Wednesday are it won't come Saturday.

But if we've found a system that helps, we've still to go to Burton (who are weak at home) and that could be key.
Agree it's five clear with one game less. Not miraculous though. Quite aside from my distaste for hyperbole (it's hardly walking on water or healing lepers) the teams below us are self-evidently not showing any sign of relegation-escaping form. Yes, it's possible that one might find its feet, but we're not fourth-bottom: to slip below the dots we'd need three to up their games, and still no team in the bottom eight has better form than us over the last 10 games.

I also agree we should be able to win at Burton, who might even be dead by then. We can also have reasonable hopes of winning at Barnsley (and, yes, a Wednesday side who've won one home game since Halloween). And there's probably nine winnable points from the remaining home games (Villa, Birmingham, Millwall, Wolves, Forest). Given that there's no rising stars from below us, 46 points (11 from the last 10) should be enough. It might even be less than that.