Will a chilla on the Hilla versus Villa be a thrilla...? Home V Aston Villa, Sat 17th Mar. 5-30.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Will a chilla on the Hilla versus Villa be a thrilla...? Home V Aston Villa, Sat 17th Mar. 5-30.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:05 pm

In retrospect, neither Karajan or Morais were even in the squad Saturday. Are both injured? Parky got it right without a doubt, but it just seemed a bit odd. If we were expecting a harder battle; more defensive minded, surely Noone at least was a bit of an odd selection over either, with Wilbraham and Clough already on the bench? Questions, questions??.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will a chilla on the Hilla versus Villa be a thrilla...? Home V Aston Villa, Sat 17th Mar. 5-30.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:08 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:15 pm
Take note BWFC-insane, when you rely on one player, doomsday scenarios are rampant; when a team is forged, magic can occur.
We were a team before - to suggest otherwise is silly. And the 11 games prior to his departure still yielded more points than the 11 since.

But yes, thanks to a fantastic manager getting the best out of the group of players we've got we're doing brilliantly well.

Watching the game back on Sky, Keith Andrews and McClaren suggested that on paper we had a league one team and I can't argue with him. But we're hugely overachieving.

I'm not ALF's biggest fan, granted, but hands up, that was the best he's played for us. Sheer graft. Made the ball stick. Shows what he can do, when he's not sulking about having to do chasing and closing. He's certainly stepped up of late compared to his efforts previously this season. Which is a huge credit to him.

Result of the season without a doubt. Thankfully we've reverted to a back 4 and found two full backs who can defend. This approach pleases me greatly.

Flanagan - an absolute class act by the way. Hope we sign him come the season end.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:49 am

He wasn't sulking before. Games make people sharper. It's no surprise Madine scored all our goals when he played every minute right up the top. Hopefully ALF can continue.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:55 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:49 am
He wasn't sulking before. Games make people sharper. It's no surprise Madine scored all our goals when he played every minute right up the top. Hopefully ALF can continue.
Games make you sharper. But earlier this season he was sulking. He came on last 10 minutes of a home game (think it was Hull) and barely moved - we were hanging on 1-0 and needed everyone helping out.

Huddersfield cup game...loads of arms up in the air "I can't be bothered chasing that gestures".

He said himself he wanted to leave.

Clearly been brought back into the fold and is grafting. Which is good. Credit to him for turning it around. I don't think he's got a bad attitude but clearly didn't enjoy being asked to do stuff that doesn't come naturally. However, seems to have applied himself once the situation dictated there was no other option. Which is when you do need people like him to step up.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:19 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:05 pm
In retrospect, neither Karajan or Morais were even in the squad Saturday. Are both injured? Parky got it right without a doubt, but it just seemed a bit odd. If we were expecting a harder battle; more defensive minded, surely Noone at least was a bit of an odd selection over either, with Wilbraham and Clough already on the bench? Questions, questions??.
There are are 7 options for the bench and usually the substitutes are 1 Keeper, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 forwards. I was surprised to see Vela over Karacan given their respective forms, but not surprised re Morais given that we were not playing with a big # 9. Morais is great with assists (Crosses) but with no one to nod them in, he would be a waste. Buckley and Noone are fresher having not played much, but at this time of the season, will come in very handy as the season takes it toll on the teams we play, and they are also a bit more direct with their running at goal than Morais.

We are blessed with options, and the bench is just as important as the starting 11 as we seek tactically to put a team out there to win. They will all get their opportunities, especially with matches coming fast behind each other after the International Break.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:55 am
Prufrock wrote:
Clearly been brought back into the fold and is grafting. Which is good. Credit to him for turning it around. I don't think he's got a bad attitude but clearly didn't enjoy being asked to do stuff that doesn't come naturally. However, seems to have applied himself once the situation dictated there was no other option. Which is when you do need people like him to step up.
I think it's tough when a player feels like they're not being allowed to contribute in their best areas and are being held back by their duties. It can take a while for some players to get that doing one thing doesn't mean they can't do another. At the same time, Parky has given ALF some more freedom recently as he's looked for new options. They both seem happier with what the other wants, which is good to see. I like ALF and I know coaches who have worked with him, so I've wanted him to find his feet here and kick on. He's a natural goal scorer and that's a great type to have in a squad.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:00 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
I think it's tough when a player feels like they're not being allowed to contribute in their best areas and are being held back by their duties. It can take a while for some players to get that doing one thing doesn't mean they can't do another. At the same time, Parky has given ALF some more freedom recently as he's looked for new options. They both seem happier with what the other wants, which is good to see. I like ALF and I know coaches who have worked with him, so I've wanted him to find his feet here and kick on. He's a natural goal scorer and that's a great type to have in a squad.
Yep. Pretty much where I'm at. Clearly Parky felt ALF wasn't doing enough and ALF felt he wasn't getting chances to do what he does.

Somehow they've come together and found a happy medium. He's a definite starter if he plays like he did on Saturday.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Let's not forget he was linked with the England squad when with Reading at one point.

That was obviously giddy talk based on a good run, but there's talent there. Performances over the last couple of games have disproved the notion we don't have anyone capable of playing football.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:46 pm

It's very rare for teams to be totally incapable of playing proper football - it's whether they can do it and win. Rochdale play some great stuff, but they are fighting relegation in League One. It's be ages since Bolton played anything approaching decent football. It'd hurt less if we were further up the league. If we survive this season we'll find out if Parky actually wants to play better stuff, or if he is just a percentages manager. If he wants to play percentage football and stays in the top half of the table, I think we'll all live with it.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:00 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Yep. Pretty much where I'm at. Clearly Parky felt ALF wasn't doing enough and ALF felt he wasn't getting chances to do what he does.

Somehow they've come together and found a happy medium. He's a definite starter if he plays like he did on Saturday.
If it had been up to you he'd have been shot at dawn. He's also one of the team of players that you also disparaged and condemned as being useless...
And by the way, before you write it again, I'd very much appreciate it if you'd find another simile other than "Parky gets them running through walls". Parky dictates the way they should play, and Parky picks the players to fit into the way he thinks they should play, but when they get on the pitch it's the players playing football; they aren't Parky's puppet show, and they certainly don't lick his boots afterwards in the dressing room. (Parky ain't God, he's not even a minor prophet, never mind a performer of miracles by getting people to run through walls).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:35 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:00 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

If it had been up to you he'd have been shot at dawn. He's also one of the team of players that you also disparaged and condemned as being useless...
And by the way, before you write it again, I'd very much appreciate it if you'd find another simile other than "Parky gets them running through walls". Parky dictates the way they should play, and Parky picks the players to fit into the way he thinks they should play, but when they get on the pitch it's the players playing football; they aren't Parky's puppet show, and they certainly don't lick his boots afterwards in the dressing room. (Parky ain't God, he's not even a minor prophet, never mind a performer of miracles by getting people to run through walls).
If it had been up to you, we'd have swapped Parky for Nigel Clough.....

And yes Parky is working miracles. The players do run through walls for him. Like our teams would for Sam.

As McClaren and Andrews said on Sky, if we stay up, then Parky has to be a serious contender for manager of the season. The achievement with the group of players and extreme conditions we've been under is immense. Take a side that finished bottom of the championship with 30 points, up at the first time of asking, then have a good chance of keeping them there is good. By any measure. But when you add in the embargo, the fact not a single penny has been spent on transfers in that time (the ONLY side in this league not to do so) and £11M of talent has been sold....its miraculous to even have a chance of staying up.