The run-in

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The run-in

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:33 pm

Absolutely gutting week. Looks a long way back now. At least we don't look like the worse side to ever play football, but we need to start turning OK and decent performances into wins. Consistently. Soon. I don't think it'll happen.

When is Moxey back?

Also, did Derik play LB then and Holding central?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:34 pm

Prufrock wrote:Also, did Derik play LB then and Holding central?
Yes. Match report coming up.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:42 pm

I said I'd know after the Rotherham game. I thought that late goal, on top of a good couple of previous results, might have been a turning point. And then our second equaliser at Brighton went in and I thought "hang on, we're on a roll here, we might just do this".

Alas! I think it's looking a little beyond us now - not so much that we might not be able to claw some results from somewhere, its just that everyone else is too. As my dad says, we're looking for snookers now. And sadly Steve isn't one of the Davies' that's donned our colours anytime recently.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:13 pm

I know what Kangana Senior means but I only see snookers as being more than a point per game. There's 15 games to make up 7 points, and not one but three options of teams to catch there, two of whom play each other next week.

In fact, just as a bad weekend followed a good weekend, it might swing the other way again next Saturday. We have a must-win at home to listless QPR (2 wins from 13); MK Dons host Bristol City, and they can't both win; Rotherham are at Burnley; Blackburn don't play; Charlton are at Fulham, who pasted QPR in this weekend's derby.

Hopefully the Cottagers are getting their shit together under Jokanovic, who led Watford to promotion last season. I hope so because they travel to Blackburn tomorrow before hosting Charlton. Given those fixtures it's really quite possible that within five days we'll be third-bottom, four points off safety and possibly only five off 19th place.

There's a ways to go yet, but if - if - we win the games we're capable of winning, we'll give ourselves a good chance.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:27 pm

The only point I would pick up on is that it's not 7 points in 15 games that's the issue. Its seven more points than one of the teams a few places above us.

In other words, if, in a hypothetical world, they all garner the equivalent of say 5 wins and draw 2 (I think that's a not unreasonable possibility, especially in Blackburn's case) - so 17 points - that leaves us to get 24 points (you can work out the myriad connotations yourself!).

It's not over, but I think we're in a very, very tight spot right now.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:28 pm

I live in hope but at this point, only a miracle can keep us up as I cant see the team magically start to stop making mistakes, winning away from home, and the manager morphing into a good one.

I often wonder what would have happened if we had gone for Chris Hughton instead of Lennon when we had the chance.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:The only point I would pick up on is that it's not 7 points in 15 games that's the issue. Its seven more points than one of the teams a few places above us.

In other words, if, in a hypothetical world, they all garner the equivalent of say 5 wins and draw 2 (I think that's a not unreasonable possibility, especially in Blackburn's case) - so 17 points - that leaves us to get 24 points (you can work out the myriad connotations yourself!).

It's tighter than a wombat's bolt hole in dry season...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:The only point I would pick up on is that it's not 7 points in 15 games that's the issue. Its seven more points than one of the teams a few places above us.
Yep. But that could be made up within a three-game week.

We need to start winning.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:58 pm

Yeah of course it isn't dead and buried. But it is really hard to see what would change to spark the run of form required.

We're going to definitely need more wins from the last 15 than we've managed thus far.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:13 pm

We need a Brownie-at-Dean-Court moment I reckon. Something that really ignites and galvanises the fans and team. Last minute winner at Birmingham? Beating Burnley after a double leg break? (ask yer dads young 'uns).

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Yeah of course it isn't dead and buried. But it is really hard to see what would change to spark the run of form required.

We're going to definitely need more wins from the last 15 than we've managed thus far.
It is over - we would probably need 44/45 points to have any chance of staying up

That's another 20/21 points - we've won 4 in 31 with no away wins at all this season, are we now going to go on an amazing run and win 7 out of the remaining 15.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:We need a Brownie-at-Dean-Court moment I reckon. Something that really ignites and galvanises the fans and team. Last minute winner at Birmingham? Beating Burnley after a double leg break? (ask yer dads young 'uns).
Or the nine man thriller against Leicester..... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:26 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:We need a Brownie-at-Dean-Court moment I reckon. Something that really ignites and galvanises the fans and team. Last minute winner at Birmingham? Beating Burnley after a double leg break? (ask yer dads young 'uns).
Yeah, agreed. In a way, that kind of win this weekend would be better than a 3-0 romp... but I'd accept a 3-0 romp v QPR then a late squeaked 1-0 at Birmingham... :D

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Peter Thompson wrote: That's another 20/21 points - we've won 4 in 31 with no away wins at all this season, are we now going to go on an amazing run and win 7 out of the remaining 15.
If we're quoting stats then we've also won 2 in the last 4 games. And we've scored at least 2 goals in each of those games. That's not terrible form.

Some away wins would be really nice though, starting with Birmingham :).

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Yeah, agreed. In a way, that kind of win this weekend would be better than a 3-0 romp... but I'd accept a 3-0 romp v QPR then a late squeaked 1-0 at Birmingham... :D
Two clean sheets in a row - not a chance! Even more so if Dorian Dervite is playing.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:51 am

I think we,ll need 8 more points than one of the teams above us,7 extra points at this point would still have us in the bottom 3 !! :hang: :hang: :hang:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:57 am

There's a very real chance that on Sunday morning we could be four points from safety with 14 games to go. Anyone who thinks this is all over needs their bumps feeling.
Businesswoman of the year.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:26 am

CrazyHorse wrote:There's a very real chance that on Sunday morning we could be four points from safety with 14 games to go. Anyone who thinks this is all over needs their bumps feeling.
That'd be me then.
I did have my head nearly ripped off by an osteopath yesterday. My neck feels better but I t hasn't helped with the relegation woes I'm afraid.

Obviously it isn't literally all over but after my drunken pessimist posts of the weekend I've sobered up, thought about it and can't see where enough points will come from.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:35 am

jonnycooper wrote:

I think we,ll need 8 more points than one of the teams above us,7 extra points at this point would still have us in the bottom 3 !! :hang: :hang: :hang:
Not quite so fast Tonto. Seven more points could see us out of the bottom three. If we regard the seven more as coming from three games, then we would have played 34 with 31 points and a goal difference of -20 or better. If the seven more were at the expense of Bristol then they would have lost all three of their matches and would have played 34 with 31 points and a goal difference of -24 or worse.
If that scenario was transferred to MK Dons then we would have the same points and a GD of -20 or better and they'd have a GD of -20 or worse, which would probably put us ahead of them too, or at the very least neck and neck.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:41 am

^ Not that I think we'll get seven extra. I'm in the having my bumps felt club.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください