Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by HMX » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:05 pm

Nixon on twitter:
Bolton. Strange one. Anderson has a preferred choice. Holdsworth another.
Holdsworth wants Nolan to work with Reid. Anderson has a favourite. Need to see if he gets him.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:14 pm

HMX wrote:Nixon on twitter:
Bolton. Strange one. Anderson has a preferred choice. Holdsworth another.
Holdsworth wants Nolan to work with Reid. Anderson has a favourite. Need to see if he gets him.
I'm not sure Reid is what we need right now...unless Heskey is the answer :shock:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Think that would be Nolan as manager Reid as assistant.

When you look up a definition for "old school manager" you see Peter Reid's face right there. So with KA having said they don't want an old school manager then they'd look really silly appointing one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I'm not tied to -ologies. models or approaches - I've seen too many of 'em in my line of work. Remember when it was en vogue not to have centre forwards - oh look all our goals have dried up. What works for us, works for us. So I'm not alarmed particularly at that. Just observing - I'd be surprised if Neil Warnock turned up. :-)

Much more concerned around ownership - Anderson didn't get a mention until fairly late on in the process...
To be fair Anderson was mentioned as being involved in the press (Nixon) quite a bit before the takeover. I'm not sure that it was leftfield.

As you say, what is interesting is how much money "he" has committed. I assume it isn't his personal money but we'll probably never find out.

You could almost read between the lines and guess that perhaps Deano preferred to do the deal with his business partner Bruce Gordon that would have resulted in Deano having total control himself with Gordon (a non football man) a more silent partner, but that perhaps the FL felt there wasn't enough money in the pot with that setup and therefore KA and inner circle were brought in.
He was mentioned Feb 21 by Nixon - 5 days after he told us Tamraz was favourite...SPA was in place being "announced to the court" was Feb 22nd...like a day after...

Guess we'll see how it all pans out... :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Love to see Nolan back at Bolton but not sure if nostalgia is at work rather than practicality.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I'm not tied to -ologies. models or approaches - I've seen too many of 'em in my line of work. Remember when it was en vogue not to have centre forwards - oh look all our goals have dried up. What works for us, works for us. So I'm not alarmed particularly at that. Just observing - I'd be surprised if Neil Warnock turned up. :-)

Much more concerned around ownership - Anderson didn't get a mention until fairly late on in the process...
To be fair Anderson was mentioned as being involved in the press (Nixon) quite a bit before the takeover. I'm not sure that it was leftfield.

As you say, what is interesting is how much money "he" has committed. I assume it isn't his personal money but we'll probably never find out.

You could almost read between the lines and guess that perhaps Deano preferred to do the deal with his business partner Bruce Gordon that would have resulted in Deano having total control himself with Gordon (a non football man) a more silent partner, but that perhaps the FL felt there wasn't enough money in the pot with that setup and therefore KA and inner circle were brought in.
He was mentioned Feb 21 by Nixon - 5 days after he told us Tamraz was favourite...SPA was in place being "announced to the court" was Feb 22nd...like a day after...

Guess we'll see how it all pans out... :-)

Aye but on Feb 22nd it was Gordon and Deano....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Think that would be Nolan as manager Reid as assistant.

When you look up a definition for "old school manager" you see Peter Reid's face right there. So with KA having said they don't want an old school manager then they'd look really silly appointing one.
I don't see Nolan as anything other than a hopeful punt. Might be a good manager but equally might not. We need some sort of track record.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:22 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I don't see Nolan as anything other than a hopeful punt. Might be a good manager but equally might not. We need some sort of track record.
Absolutely. Wouldn't be my choice. I just think that if that IS what DH is talking about it would be Nolan as manager or head coach and PR as assistant. Rather than the other way round.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Absolutely. Wouldn't be my choice. I just think that if that IS what DH is talking about it would be Nolan as manager or head coach and PR as assistant. Rather than the other way round.
Lets hope Holdsworth doesn't get his way then. Happy for Nobby to come back and learn his trade, but with the kids or helping rather than managing.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:37 pm

Where do you get these illustrated dictionaries everyone has these days?

I'd be delighted with Nolan back as player-assistant next to someone else (as he's exactly what we need on the pitch); I'd be worried if he was manager.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:39 pm

Yeah let's get Nolan in. What we need is yet another inexperienced chancer using us as a work experience project.
Businesswoman of the year.

bristolwanderer
Promising
Promising

Post by bristolwanderer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:

Where do you get these illustrated dictionaries everyone has these days?

I'd be delighted with Nolan back as player-assistant next to someone else (as he's exactly what we need on the pitch); I'd be worried if he was manager.

+1

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:He seemed to be alluding to specific players as I think he said something along the lines of there being a lot of other Clubs interested in them too...

I'd be surprised if clubs know yet who they will have available for loan next season - would they?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:There's more than one way to do it, even within the "continental" model. Spurs and Leicester, for instance, have sporting-director types who do the recruitment legwork, but I don't think Pochettino or Ranieri have players foisted on them. For every continental club whose president is an interfering knobhead, buying poor downtrodden Rafas a lamp instead of a sofa, there are far more who work within a structure toward a common goal. Seville have been consistently successful thanks to Monchi rather than the coaches.

However, all that's up in the air. We'll find out by and by, but I suspect you may be making presumptions based on a couple of quotes. By "old-school manager" I think Ken Anderson – a former agent, remember – is making a coded reference to the kind of boss whose insistence on transfer dealings end up investigated by TV companies and agencies of state.

Personally I think Phil Brown, for instance, would be quite happy to tell those above him "I need a pacy striker" and be given a menu of options, instead of spending all day ringing mates for favours and sitting in stands watching Development teams on a hunch or a hope.

I understand the fear when those above the manager get involved. But really, look at where the alternative got us. Yes, Allardyce took us to heaven, but it wasn't sustainable under lesser management and right now we're sliding to hell. I welcome the idea of a chairman and chief exec who are as happy checking spreadsheets as signing cheques.
Yeah, so do I to an extent. But you know the proof is in the pudding as ever.

stoppit. stooppit RIGHT NOW! :spank:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:05 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:He seemed to be alluding to specific players as I think he said something along the lines of there being a lot of other Clubs interested in them too...

I'd be surprised if clubs know yet who they will have available for loan next season - would they?
Prepared to be surprised! Some clubs do actually plan more than 24hrs ahead and have a reasonable idea of where some of their players might be in around three months' time.

Amazing, I know! :D

Though perhaps not as impressive as picking your starting XI six weeks ahead ....
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:10 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
thebish wrote:

Prepared to be surprised! Some clubs do actually plan more than 24hrs ahead and have a reasonable idea of where some of their players might be in around three months' time.

Though perhaps not as impressive as picking your starting XI six weeks ahead ....

I'm often surprised - it's cos I know feck all about football! :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:01 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
thebish wrote:

... & then having them "play without the ball".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:53 pm

I'd never even considered Nobby Nolan as player-assistant. That is quite a good idea. Given the right gaffer, mind.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:56 pm

^^ Isn't he still contracted to Orient as a player?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Yeah. I think its probably pie in the sky, but we need to dream a little.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.