Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

palekm08
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by palekm08 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:52 am

always knew KA was shifty after watching his bolton interview....his eyes were very shifty.

in other news, and probably more bulls*it and very unreliable, adkins favourite now.

http://the72.co.uk/54935/new-favourite- ... s-manager/

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:What if KA is looking for a quick profit? Sell the club to anyone for some extra cash? Buying Deano out would make sense then. Would also make sense as to why he's reluctant to invest money in. He did something similar at Southampton IIRC....
Hmm, yeah, that would make sense. Lots of moving parts in that deal though, which could freeze up the fiscal gears - and for some reason or other, that's what seems to be happening...

Guess the big question is why there'd be a buyer now that wasn't there in January. And one answer, which may or may not be correct, is Dealing With Eddie Davies.

Still, if we plummet through another division without signing anyone else, we might be more affordable for the Supporters' Trust. We'll still have Captain Marvel and Myopic Goalkeeper on big wages, though...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 24, 2016 12:08 pm

palekm08 wrote:always knew KA was shifty after watching his bolton interview....his eyes were very shifty.

in other news, and probably more bulls*it and very unreliable, adkins favourite now.

Before I even got to that story, I noticed another one - sourced from the BBC's correspondent Alistair Durden: "It's my understanding Bristol Rovers have received a formal approach from Leeds United for manager Darrell Clarke." Which would free up Steve Evans, whose contract ends next month.

As for the Adkins piece, the writer's knowledge is best assessed by the fact he still has Brown as a front-runner. "Favourite" here isn't even a betting reference, it's just a badly-ascribed description.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Tue May 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
palekm08 wrote:always knew KA was shifty after watching his bolton interview....his eyes were very shifty.

Before I even got to that story, I noticed another one - sourced from the BBC's correspondent Alistair Durden: "It's my understanding Bristol Rovers have received a formal approach from Leeds United for manager Darrell Clarke." Which would free up Steve Evans, whose contract ends next month.

As for the Adkins piece, the writer's knowledge is best assessed by the fact he still has Brown as a front-runner. "Favourite" here isn't even a betting reference, it's just a badly-ascribed description.
I think a brief scan of the horribly un-subbed piece is enough to judge the voracity..
Sky bet have Adkins 5-1 third favourite behind Brown and Reid
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 24, 2016 1:07 pm

If there are only two people with a vote, and one of them has the "casting vote", then there is only one person with a vote.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 24, 2016 1:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:If there are only two people with a vote, and one of them has the "casting vote", then there is only one person with a vote.
...which lessens the chance of Peter Reid...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue May 24, 2016 1:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:If there are only two people with a vote, and one of them has the "casting vote", then there is only one person with a vote.
Surely, not if they both vote the same.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Enoch wrote:
Surely, not if they both vote the same.

or if KA abstains..

palekm08
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palekm08 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:54 pm

"Bolton defender Dorian Dervite is attracting interest from a number of Italian and Belgian sides, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club." another source of cash flow. how much realistically can we get for him. half a mil?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 24, 2016 3:36 pm

palekm08 wrote:"Bolton defender Dorian Dervite is attracting interest from a number of Italian and Belgian sides, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club." another source of cash flow. how much realistically can we get for him. half a mil?
More pertinently, that's what we owe him in wages: if that Sun graphic is to be believed, he's on £9kpw until 30th Jun 2017, which by my reckoning is 57 weeks or £513,000.

He's not the major priority to get off the wage bill – arse-bleeders like Mavies (£18kpw), Spearing (£18kpw), Amos (£16kpw) and Pratley (£14kpw) but I doubt we'll turn down offers to relieve us of middleweight earners like him, Trotter (£11kpw), Moxey (£8.5kpw) or Madine (£8kpw).

In fact, I doubt it so much that I think we'd be willing to consider waiving the transfer fee in order to save the wages, or perhaps come to some agreement with the interested club over the wages owned. Say for example a Belgian club offer Dervite £6kpw - that would mean he loses £3kpw, or £150k over the season remaining on his contract. If the “transfer fee” was mooted at £250k, we might agree to take £100k with the rest making up the wages shortfall. This sort of fiscal horse-trading might be even more important with someone like Davies or Spearing, who are unlikely to get their £18kpw BWFC wage matched elsewhere.

In other words, I wouldn’t go expecting much of a transfer fee at all for the “established” players: IMO Holding and Clough are the only employees we might sell for a decent price.

Oh and if we get rid of Dervite and Holding, we’re down to two centre-backs on the books with any experience: Derik and Alex Finney. We need that embargo shifting.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 24, 2016 3:40 pm

palekm08 wrote:"Bolton defender Dorian Dervite is attracting interest from a number of Italian and Belgian sides, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club." another source of cash flow. how much realistically can we get for him. half a mil?
More pertinently, that's what we owe him in wages: if that Sun graphic is to be believed, he's on £9kpw until 30th Jun 2017, which by my reckoning is 57 weeks or £513,000.

He's not the major priority to get off the wage bill – arse-bleeders like Mavies (£18kpw), Spearing (£18kpw), Amos (£16kpw) and Pratley (£14kpw) but I doubt we'll turn down offers to relieve us of middleweight earners like him, Trotter (£11kpw), Moxey (£8.5kpw) or Madine (£8kpw).

In fact, I doubt it so much that I think we'd be willing to consider waiving the transfer fee in order to save the wages, or perhaps come to some agreement with the interested club over the wages owned. Say for example a Belgian club offer Dervite £6kpw - that would mean he loses £3kpw, or £150k over the season remaining on his contract. If the “transfer fee” was mooted at £250k, we might agree to take £100k with the rest making up the wages shortfall. This sort of fiscal horse-trading might be even more important with someone like Davies or Spearing, who are unlikely to get their £18kpw BWFC wage matched elsewhere.

In other words, I wouldn’t go expecting much of a transfer fee at all for the “established” players: IMO Holding and Clough are the only employees we might sell for a decent price.

Oh and if we get rid of Dervite and Holding, we’re down to two centre-backs on the books with any experience: Derik and Alex Finney. We need that embargo shifting.
Think that might be right, but we wouldn't turn down a cheque if one were offered. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Dream on!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 24, 2016 3:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Think that might be right, but we wouldn't turn down a cheque if one were offered. :-)
One should always investigate an offered cheque, a usable toilet or an open buffet...
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:We need that embargo shifting.
Dream on!
Well, quite. But being unable to restock will get to the point where it threatens us with relegation - even if Peter Reid isn't manager...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 24, 2016 3:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Think that might be right, but we wouldn't turn down a cheque if one were offered. :-)
One should always investigate an offered cheque, a usable toilet or an open buffet...
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dream on!
Well, quite. But being unable to restock will get to the point where it threatens us with relegation - even if Peter Reid isn't manager...
I agree. And I fear that next season is going to be as grim as the last. But ultimately I find it hard to see the FL lifting the embargo, short of a sudden influx of cash from somewhere. I guess they might allow for a "one in one out" policy under their monitoring as they have at other clubs. But again I'm not really expecting it unless something quite significant changes from the past 3 months.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 24, 2016 3:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I agree. And I fear that next season is going to be as grim as the last. But ultimately I find it hard to see the FL lifting the embargo, short of a sudden influx of cash from somewhere. I guess they might allow for a "one in one out" policy under their monitoring as they have at other clubs. But again I'm not really expecting it unless something quite significant changes from the past 3 months.
...which makes it even more annoying that we've released Threlkeld and Maher...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue May 24, 2016 4:44 pm

It's OK, Honest Ken said he was expecting it to be lifted in time for opening of the summer transfer window. When's that again?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 24, 2016 4:50 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
It's OK, Honest Ken said he was expecting it to be lifted in time for opening of the summer transfer window. When's that again?
is it not usually 1st July? in which case - chill! - ages to go :-)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue May 24, 2016 5:16 pm

thebish wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
is it not usually 1st July? in which case - chill! - ages to go :-)
Indeed. That's 19 lots of 48 hours.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 24, 2016 6:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I agree. And I fear that next season is going to be as grim as the last. But ultimately I find it hard to see the FL lifting the embargo, short of a sudden influx of cash from somewhere. I guess they might allow for a "one in one out" policy under their monitoring as they have at other clubs. But again I'm not really expecting it unless something quite significant changes from the past 3 months.
Totally amazing still.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 24, 2016 8:39 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Totally amazing still.
I can sort of see the reasoning - an expense we could divest - but it's such short-termism, especially in embargo. If we weren't in embargo but still skint, we might be able to rehire them - but not once they're gone...