The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 05, 2017 8:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 8:12 pm

I'd ask, why as a championship club though we'd want to sign someone Peterborough deem not good enough? I've seen he has decent stats, but also seems like he's wildly inconsistent. Probably rather have Ameobi who we can sign on a free and we know he fits in well here.
We haven't even kicked a ball yet as a (this time) Championship club, and given Ken's Magna Carta indications for the coming season I don't think we'll be looking at Iniesta. Everything depends on who we can get at bread and gruel wages, not who we'd like. Even Ameobi may have bigger wage packets in mind than we can offer. In Parky we trust, let's wait and see.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri May 05, 2017 9:27 pm

I don't think we'll be signing either. No doubt we've been linked with Maddison because he's a seemingly available player tipped for bigger things, and we've just been promoted.

That said, he's probably on 10-20% of what Ameobi is on, and was more productive in a shitter side. Does Sammy have 17 assists and 9 goals in his career?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 5:04 pm
Page 7. Signings 0. Disgraceful.
Get your purse out then, Cunty! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri May 05, 2017 10:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Here we go ...... Lever End will be getting that text in the morning. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat May 06, 2017 8:43 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:27 pm
I don't think we'll be signing either. No doubt we've been linked with Maddison because he's a seemingly available player tipped for bigger things, and we've just been promoted.

That said, he's probably on 10-20% of what Ameobi is on, and was more productive in a shitter side. Does Sammy have 17 assists and 9 goals in his career?
10-20%? I might be clueless on the wage gap here but is Sammi Ammi really going to be on £35k p/w? If so how did we afford him aug - jan (or did we really not pay his wage bill)?

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat May 06, 2017 9:58 am

“Welcome Jim anyway. And an excellent name."
Thanks LE, great to be here and finally peeping my head above the parapet.
Used to idolize ol' Seamus:), yet have no memory of who his understudy was.
Positive that no one feels a.n.other keeper is any kind if priority atm. They both take roughly equal amounts of grief, made several game-changing, fairly spectacular stops, and often have infuriating distribution issues. Be interesting to see how they get on and who's no1.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 06, 2017 10:02 am

I think keeper is a real weakness, just can't justify another one without getting rid of two of them, and that looks unlikely. Fear we're stuck with Amos for the foreseeable. Thought Howard was v good pre-injury but been v dodgy since. Alnwick had a wobbly start but been v solid since and probably the best of the bunch for me.

I have a theory that, more so than with most positions, it's v rare a team with a good keeper goes down, takes the rest of the team to be shocking.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat May 06, 2017 10:28 am

We've got 3 keepers. We'll try and shift Amos for sure (and we need to so we can free up his wage). Agreed re Howard, he didnstruggle a bit coming back into the side, still kept a fair few clean sheets though! As did Alnwick who I think will be fine and will start as number 1. Would we win the league with Alnwick? Quite possibly not but thats not the aim.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 06, 2017 11:25 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Right. I've just re-signed Trotter!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat May 06, 2017 11:51 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 8:43 am
Tombwfc wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:27 pm

10-20%? I might be clueless on the wage gap here but is Sammi Ammi really going to be on £35k p/w? If so how did we afford him aug - jan (or did we really not pay his wage bill)?
Maddison plays for Peterborough having signed from the non-league. Ameobi signed a new three year deal when Newcastle were in the Premier League in 2014.

The figures are just guesses (Ameobi at 15k and Maddison 3k = 20%) but the point is there will be a huge difference in wages between the two.

I think for us to sign Sammy permanently, he'd need to be our highest paid player. For me, he's too much of a luxury to justify that. Fun to watch, but flatters to decieve and without a consistent end product.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Don't agree. Rare you get wingers who aren't inconsistent with their end product. What Ameobi is is consistent in his work out of possession. Long way from being a "luxury". Question whether he's good enough a league up, and value for money on what could be relatively high wages. I'd certainly be making the call, but suspect a lot depends on how many others he gets.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat May 06, 2017 12:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 11:25 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
:shock: Sacking offence that!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 06, 2017 12:24 pm

twilight wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 12:19 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
twilight wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 12:19 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Fair point, well made. :-)

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 11:51 am

I think for us to sign Sammy permanently, he'd need to be our highest paid player. For me, he's too much of a luxury to justify that. Fun to watch, but flatters to decieve and without a consistent end product.
I don't think this is true. Just because he was on say £15k-£20k pw doesn't mean that is the figure that is permanently associated with him. Right now he is on £0k pw, and he has to see what people are prepared to pay him. He hasn't done much in recent times to convince anyone in the Championship to sign him at all, let alone on a decent salary. If we offer £8k-£10kpw which I suspect might be our level, then it might well be enough.

Anyway we might all be getting ahead of ourselves slightly. There are two pressing concerns that we aren't talking about, namely we are under an embargo, and we are facing a winding up order in a couple of weeks over the Blumarble loan, not to mention late submission of the latest accounts.. Now that the town hall steps event has been done, and the trip to Dubai will soon be over, I personally want to hear about the resolution of these matters...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 06, 2017 7:37 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 4:10 pm
If we offer £8k-£10kpw which I suspect might be our level, then it might well be enough.
Out of interest, what makes you think that's our level, and roughly how many of those types of wages do you think we can carry?

I'm not saying you're wrong - I don't know the answer - but I wonder what kind of budget we're going to have. Obviously some will get paid more than others, but it's interesting to hear Parky say he wants a deeper squad with more options - you do sense that at various times this season (not just towards the end) he looked at his bench and couldn't see many who might make a positive impact. Speaking of which, considering he puts such a premium on hard work, it might be intriguing to know how many substitutions he made and how this compares with the average.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 7:37 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 4:10 pm
If we offer £8k-£10kpw which I suspect might be our level, then it might well be enough.
Out of interest, what makes you think that's our level, and roughly how many of those types of wages do you think we can carry?

I'm not saying you're wrong - I don't know the answer - but I wonder what kind of budget we're going to have. Obviously some will get paid more than others, but it's interesting to hear Parky say he wants a deeper squad with more options - you do sense that at various times this season (not just towards the end) he looked at his bench and couldn't see many who might make a positive impact. Speaking of which, considering he puts such a premium on hard work, it might be intriguing to know how many substitutions he made and how this compares with the average.
Good question as to where I get it from :). I think I am thinking of:

1.) The fact that Trotter, Moxey, Dervite, Madine, Derik are all on that kind of money, according to the tabloid article that reported on estimated player salaries during our financial turmoil in 2016. And given we signed Madine and Derik when we were looking more towards the bargain side of the market, then that makes me think that is the going rate when signing someone like Ameobi, who has been on more than that, and is 25 and expecting a decent contract.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/footb ... eague-one/

2.) I have read articles like this that suggests the average Championship salary in 2014/15 was £324,250 or around £6200 pw. There has been a big influx of money into the Championship since then, with clubs on bigger parachute payments, increased Championship TV money, and a number of well supported clubs newly arrived in there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... along.html

3.) Leeds player salaries here in 2016 suggests £5kpw - £10kpw was standard, with Chris Wood on £17k pw. Leeds are one of the better supported teams, but haven't been receiving parachute payments.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footba ... yers-wages

I have read somewhere (can't remember where), that our playing budget (as opposed to wage bill) this season was around £10m? If so then we can obviously afford a number of players on this type of salary.

Another way to look at it is that if this season we were losing £11m per annum with our current squad, and KA as he has said has made more than £1m pa in cost savings, and we as reported make £6m pa from increased TV and sponsorship in the Championship, and we make some more money from higher attendances, increased prices, as well as better chances of money making cup ties, then we should be able to carry a similar wage bill to this season and come close to break even? And if we get rid of Mark Davies, Trotter, Moxey (£2m pa saving), together with other like Wilson, Buxton, Clayton, and return of loanees, then there should be room for Ameobi on £8k-£10kpw?. Especially if Spearing goes or takes a drop in salary, all though Wheater, Beevers and Vela may deserve an increase?

What do you think DSB?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun May 07, 2017 3:04 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 12:05 pm
Don't agree. Rare you get wingers who aren't inconsistent with their end product. What Ameobi is is consistent in his work out of possession. Long way from being a "luxury". Question whether he's good enough a league up, and value for money on what could be relatively high wages. I'd certainly be making the call, but suspect a lot depends on how many others he gets.

Quite, but there are plenty of flaky mavericks who forever knock around the Football League for less money than Sammy is on (and most of them get linked with us frequently - Adam Hammill, Mustapha Carayol, van la Parra and now Maddison).

Like I said, I enjoyed watching him while he was here, but the end result was two goals and one assist, playing for one of the better sides in a poorer division. A creative player on 10k a week who doesn't create is a luxury.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 07, 2017 9:47 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 3:04 am
Prufrock wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Quite, but there are plenty of flaky mavericks who forever knock around the Football League for less money than Sammy is on (and most of them get linked with us frequently - Adam Hammill, Mustapha Carayol, van la Parra and now Maddison).

Like I said, I enjoyed watching him while he was here, but the end result was two goals and one assist, playing for one of the better sides in a poorer division. A creative player on 10k a week who doesn't create is a luxury.
He also allowed us to play our best football of the season. His ability to hold the ball in tight situations was invaluable.

I'm the first to talk end product. But also you need someone who can go past a player sometimes. Towards the end we lacked that and no matter how many good crosses Morais put in it didn't quite make up for that.

Sammy for me has more chance a level up than Morais. More chance of being effective and also is younger and hence if he does do well we will have a valuable player on the books.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 07, 2017 11:37 am

You seem to have been setting this up as a Morais v Ameobi conversation for some while. Like you, I don't think they play the same game, so if possible I'd like both, thanks. Statistically there's nothing to choose PPG with Ameobi 1.90, Morais 1.89. Higher win % (4%) with Ameobi higher loss % with Ameobi (8%).More likely to score with Morais, more likely to concede with Morais... But from last season that's so close it makes Fck all difference.

On the "we played better football with" I preferred most of Morais time with us, but that might have been because it was nearer the run in...

Like you, Morais is a bit of an unknown quantity at Chumps level. Ameobi has played in the Prem and the Chumps (although he only started 10 times in the Chumps for Cardiff).

If possible I'd have both.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 11:37 am
You seem to have been setting this up as a Morais v Ameobi conversation for some while. Like you, I don't think they play the same game, so if possible I'd like both, thanks. Statistically there's nothing to choose PPG with Ameobi 1.90, Morais 1.89. Higher win % (4%) with Ameobi higher loss % with Ameobi (8%).More likely to score with Morais, more likely to concede with Morais... But from last season that's so close it makes Fck all difference.

On the "we played better football with" I preferred most of Morais time with us, but that might have been because it was nearer the run in...

Like you, Morais is a bit of an unknown quantity at Chumps level. Ameobi has played in the Prem and the Chumps (although he only started 10 times in the Chumps for Cardiff).

If possible I'd have both.
Sorry that was my point. Ideally we have both, and then have the delivery, and the X factor.

Whether that is Ameobi and Morais, or another pair entirely I don't know. Whether we can afford Sammy and whether Morais is considered too old or good enough by our management team again I don't know.

I mean there is an interesting point with Sammy that he worked because he came inside and created space for Zach, perhaps in the similar sort of team Morais was in with emphasis on supplying Le Fondre and Madine he'd have been less effective.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sun May 07, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.