Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:06 am

nelson66 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:50 am
Was PPs biggest mistake gettng a shit team promoted last season
If we had got into the play offs and then failed would we be calling for his head right now - while winning games in league one with our current league one standard team ?

We're not going to be competitive without investment .. end of
I agree. Though I'd caveat it with, if Parky has a year to work without embargo restrictions, a modest sum of money to spend then I'd start to judge him on results in this league.

I accept that we aren't going to have millions to spend anytime soon, and that whilst some teams have a fortune in this league we aren't really trying to compete directly with them.

I think thus far it's been very difficult for Parky to improve the team to match the step up. Again had we had Henry from the start, a fit Vela and Ameobi then who knows...I'd expect a few more points in the bag.

But Parky hasn't had freedom to strengthen. Nevertheless I do think some of the signings this summer haven't been great, the West Ham lads for example seem a huge error of judgement. Two youngsters wanting to 'play' in the spine of this team has weakened us defensively for sure.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:38 am

nelson66 wrote:
If we had got into the play offs and then failed would we be calling for his head right now - while winning games in league one with our current league one standard team ?

No, I think it's definitely going 11 games without a win, 8 without a goal etc. etc.

But even then, how does that affect the here and now? Claudio Ranieri might still be in a job had he not gone and done something as daft as winning the Premier League on a 5,000/1 shot. That doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision for them to make the change.

Also, it's fine to disagree with people who think Parky should probably go, but it's hardly a knee jerk reaction. Bolton fans have showed patience with the team and coaching staff this season that you wouldn't get at most clubs.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:43 am

For what it's worth: As I see it, right now, after the break and without investment, we're going to be as good as we'll get this season. The signs seemed to be yesterday that having sorted a reasonable midfield (Vela fully fit will be a real plus, but he's only one man and needs to stay injury free, as they all do) and not the worst defence ever (if we actually get scoring and get our front end shaping they may not have to have the total pressure they are currently getting), we may have a new start point to the season. Like it or no, survival has always been the aim this year and that's our target. If we achieve that, we, and Phil Parkinson will have done well; better than well if all of our financial bear traps, the embargo and injury pitfalls are taken into account. Parkinson needs support and any fans who look beyond survival ans see glory are day dreaming. Even talking about getting shut is deluding ourselves. Get behind the team and manager, see survival as a win situation, and we'll have done very well.

Amen.. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:38 am
nelson66 wrote:

No, I think it's definitely going 11 games without a win, 8 without a goal etc. etc.

But even then, how does that affect the here and now? Claudio Ranieri might still be in a job had he not gone and done something as daft as winning the Premier League on a 5,000/1 shot. That doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision for them to make the change.

Also, it's fine to disagree with people who think Parky should probably go, but it's hardly a knee jerk reaction. Bolton fans have showed patience with the team and coaching staff this season that you wouldn't get at most clubs.
Not knee jerk? Wow. I remember when managers used to get 2 whole seasons and clubs still be criticised for sacking them.

Under the conditions we've been under do you really think one summer is enough to judge a manager on?

Allardyce didn't win any of his first 6 games at Palace, some of their fans wanted him out, they didn't of course have a successful season under him previously to fall back on. Many would have argued he'd had enough is the nonsense of modern football. Meaningful time in the job is something like 3 years. At that point you can judge what progress has been made.

Reality is of course, we are in a mad game where everyone demands instant success. By the way, how has that worked out for us since 2006?

cmbfc_90
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cmbfc_90 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:18 pm

I think we should sack him if we can financially afford it. I think we have a team capable of competing in the championship if we actually played football, with the right management maybe we would have a chance rather than throwing the season away 10 games in!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:45 pm
Tombwfc wrote:
nelson66 wrote:

Not knee jerk? Wow. I remember when managers used to get 2 whole seasons and clubs still be criticised for sacking them.

Under the conditions we've been under do you really think one summer is enough to judge a manager on?

Allardyce didn't win any of his first 6 games at Palace, some of their fans wanted him out, they didn't of course have a successful season under him previously to fall back on. Many would have argued he'd had enough is the nonsense of modern football. Meaningful time in the job is something like 3 years. At that point you can judge what progress has been made.

Reality is of course, we are in a mad game where everyone demands instant success. By the way, how has that worked out for us since 2006?

I also remember a time where the internet didn't exist, and now here we are conversing on it. Things change, and quickly.

The Allardyce comparison is silly. It was his first six games having taken over half way through a season, and even then we're at nearly double that mark. Had he gone 11 games without a win, 8 without a goal etc. etc, he'd have been potted too.

I like Parky, I really do. But nothing has happened in the last 18 months to make me think he's so important to our future that he should be allowed to preside over what's currently happening. Seriously, football has been going on forever, and what we are watching here is one of the worst performing teams, in multiple categories. Think about that.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:33 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:57 am
I'm trying to imagine Bruce as a vicar. There's a potential sitcom idea there.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:
nelson66 wrote:

I also remember a time where the internet didn't exist, and now here we are conversing on it. Things change, and quickly.

The Allardyce comparison is silly. It was his first six games having taken over half way through a season, and even then we're at nearly double that mark. Had he gone 11 games without a win, 8 without a goal etc. etc, he'd have been potted too.

I like Parky, I really do. But nothing has happened in the last 18 months to make me think he's so important to our future that he should be allowed to preside over what's currently happening. Seriously, football has been going on forever, and what we are watching here is one of the worst performing teams, in multiple categories. Think about that.
Are there many examples of sacking managers on average every 18 months being a good thing?

Watford aside - I think clubs should be aiming for stability.

The problem is that at some point you're going to hit a sticky patch but if your owner believes in the manager I think they should try and ride that out. Otherwise you'll be where we've been recently. A procession of managers coming in, spending loads each time and progressively making things worse.

Honestly I think we've been hampered with the view that we can find the "next Allardyce". Constantly trying to find the manager who can make things click again on a budget, work miracles. Allardyce as has been shown by clubs like Blackburn, Sunderland, Palace is an exception. There are so few like him. Good managers like Allardyce, Pulis, ones who can overachieve at smaller clubs are very much in the minority. For every 1 of them there are a hundred and fifty who will do well under the right circumstances, but fail in tough situations.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:11 pm
Tombwfc wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:
nelson66 wrote:

Are there many examples of sacking managers on average every 18 months being a good thing?

Watford aside - I think clubs should be aiming for stability.

The problem is that at some point you're going to hit a sticky patch but if your owner believes in the manager I think they should try and ride that out. Otherwise you'll be where we've been recently. A procession of managers coming in, spending loads each time and progressively making things worse.

Honestly I think we've been hampered with the view that we can find the "next Allardyce". Constantly trying to find the manager who can make things click again on a budget, work miracles. Allardyce as has been shown by clubs like Blackburn, Sunderland, Palace is an exception. There are so few like him. Good managers like Allardyce, Pulis, ones who can overachieve at smaller clubs are very much in the minority. For every 1 of them there are a hundred and fifty who will do well under the right circumstances, but fail in tough situations.
Sticky patch? how quaint.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:51 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Sticky patch? how quaint.
Thats the point though - as much as it might not feel it, its still a small run of games in the grand scheme of things. Its hugely frustrating, disappointing, gutting, all those things.

But in the past it would be considered nothing, especially on the back of success.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 pm

I don't believe there is any version of the past where going on your worst league start in a century would be seen as nothing. Except apparently if you're Ken Anderson.

In terms of naming clubs who regularly sack their managers and remain successful - Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man City, Barcelona... I mean pretty much every team these days has a regular rotation of the man in the dugout (70 of the 92 current managers in England have been in the job for less than two years). Some of those sides are successful, some aren't.

I'm not searching a new Allardyce, I'm searching for someone who can win a game. If we end up getting rid of that person 18 months from now, so be it.

Out of interest, who out of Sammy Lee, Megson, Coyle, Freedman or Lennon do you think we should have kept? Is sacking these managers what has caused our problems, or appointing them in the first place (along with various other poor financial decisions)?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:46 pm

In the name of balance, I did think this was a heartening read. Wish he'd put the ball in the net though.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/15 ... l_backing/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 pm
I don't believe there is any version of the past where going on your worst league start in a century would be seen as nothing. Except apparently if you're Ken Anderson.

In terms of naming clubs who regularly sack their managers and remain successful - Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man City, Barcelona... I mean pretty much every team these days has a regular rotation of the man in the dugout (70 of the 92 current managers in England have been in the job for less than two years). Some of those sides are successful, some aren't.

I'm not searching a new Allardyce, I'm searching for someone who can win a game. If we end up getting rid of that person 18 months from now, so be it.

Out of interest, who out of Sammy Lee, Megson, Coyle, Freedman or Lennon do you think we should have kept? Is sacking these managers what has caused our problems, or appointing them in the first place (along with various other poor financial decisions)?
Given where we are, we might as well have kept Sammy and seen what he could do (this is all in hindsight). He was going to take us down, but maybe his coaching skills would have helped us build a younger side to come back up.

Of course it isn't all about sacking people. But the ever changing managers has contributed to our financial position and our fall from grace. The appointments may have been poor, but that is the point...there are exceedingly few managers who can work in difficult situations like many we've been in well. Most managers 99.9% are ok in certain scenarios - Coyle for example, couldn't turn a failing ship round when it mattered. He had no idea. His record before then good, since then, a trainwreck.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Only man who matters in this says no.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/octobe ... chairman4/
When I appointed Phil Parkinson as manager of Bolton Wanderers Football Club last year, I believed that he was the best person for the job.
We went through a thorough interview process along with several other high pedigree candidates. Phil impressed me the most and I offered him the job.
My opinion hasn’t changed whatsoever. If anything, Phil has reinforced my belief that he, his staff and the squad he has assembled will progress this club.
I’m not one to make knee-jerk reactions and Phil has my unequivocal backing to remain as manager of Bolton Wanderers Football Club.

Of course, we are all hoping for a victory on Saturday against Sheffield Wednesday, but if that wasn’t to happen, then Phil would still remain as manager.
I'm with Ken on this. Parky needs at a minimum two unrestricted transfer windows before we even consider sacking him. Ken seems like he's old school and not into the current, ridiculous and pointless hiring and firing cycle. Good. Tough it out, like everyone in the real world has to. We'll be better as a club for it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pm

THE DREADED VOTE OF CONFIDENCE

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pm
THE DREADED VOTE OF CONFIDENCE
Its about the third one. And very, very unequivocal. Parky is here for the season IMHO regardless of results. To me that is very clear.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Parky deserves time. This team that we might well field for the first time on Saturday, would be the first time this season we will have a team out there that is in terms of ability not the worst in this division imho;

Howard, Little, Wheater, Beevers/Burke/Dervite, Taylor; Henry, Pratley, Vela, Armstrong, Ameobi; Madine.

Henry has been a crucial signing. If we can avoid injuries, we could yet make a fist of survival this season..

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Anyone still want Parky to be fired ??

A bit of quality comes back into the team and we immediately start playing better and pick up some points...

Seems to me as though we need investment in - rather than the manager out
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:16 am

nelson66 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:44 pm
Anyone still want Parky to be fired ??

A bit of quality comes back into the team and we immediately start playing better and pick up some points...

Seems to me as though we need investment in - rather than the manager out
1 game at a time

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:35 am

We have still won only one game...