Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:44 am
Iles said yesterday he believes there will be no release retain list this week. Where do you get the deadline of Saturday from?
The EFL rulebook.
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... --players/
65.2 Any Club wishing to re-engage a Contract Player whose contract is due to expire on 30th June must, save as mentioned in Regulations 65.2.1 to 65.2.4 below, notify him in writing by the third Saturday in May in the final year of his contract whether or not they offer him terms of re-engagement specifying (where applicable) such terms. Notification of the terms offered may only be deferred:

65.2.1 in the event of a Club not having completed its League programme by the third Saturday in May, and then only if any outstanding fixture or fixtures could have some bearing on the issues described in Regulation 10 or on possible qualification for other competitions; or

65.2.2 in the event of a Club being involved in the end of Season Play-Off competition as described in Regulation 10; or

65.2.3 in the event of a Club still being involved in a Football Association Cup Match on or after the third Saturday in May; or

65.2.4 in the event of a Club still being involved on or after the third Saturday in May in a competition arranged under the auspices of The League.

In these circumstances Players must be notified of the terms offered within four days of the Club's last such match.
I know Ken's found loopholes in the laws before, but he'd be doing well to escape this one.
Cheers. I wasn't at all doubting you by the way, I was more interested in whether it was an EFL or employment law regulation.

Given it is very clear we are in for an interesting time if Iles is right. He says today it is still very much "radio silence" from all involved at the club.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Iles said yesterday he believes there will be no release retain list this week.
Where did he say this, champ? Can't see it on BN site or MI's twitter. Not trying to trip you up, just genuinely interested - his ear's about 200 miles closer to the ground than mine.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 am

Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Where did he say this, champ? Can't see it on BN site or MI's twitter. Not trying to trip you up, just genuinely interested - his ear's about 200 miles closer to the ground than mine.
Was asked by someone on twitter yesterday if the retained list would be out this week. His reply was "I doubt it".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 17, 2018 10:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 am
Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Was asked by someone on twitter yesterday if the retained list would be out this week. His reply was "I doubt it".
Interesting, ta. Could have been half-joking, half-despairing. I feel for him, this is big news and understandably nobody's talking.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu May 17, 2018 11:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am
mullayo wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 am
Thu May 17, 2018 9:03 am
Jimmy and Parky are in the same limbo as 20 players. I feel for them, but I feel for them more if they're simply staring at a wall and doing nowt.
Are you saying we're in hiring/firing limbo embargo? No comings or goings until our ownership is sorted?
There's obviously a risk that major hiring/firing decisions are at the mercy of the takeover/investment process. (Do the potential investors want their own manager? The absence of reassurance for Parkinson would suggest that at least one of the potential parties isn't sure; might it even be Ken?)

However, as I say, legally we only have until the third Saturday in May – ie two days away - to tell the 20 players running out of contract whether or not we will be offering them new terms. I
Cheers Insane/DSB. Gutted now. By the time this rabble get sorted we'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel and paying through the nose for the privilege. NOT WHAT A TEAM WITH OUR WOES NEEDS. We need upgrades not placeholders. We'll get no frees just fees.
What could've happened; did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 17, 2018 12:03 pm

Its a tricky situation all round. Ken couldn't progress talks until we knew which division we'd be in. Equally experience elsewhere tells us that even if these things go incredibly smoothly you are talking 3/4 months minimum to resolve it. By which time the season has started.

It seems that we aren't able to sign new deals whilst current talks are taking place (which means there is more substance than tyre kickers) but that could drag on a while.

Next season is potentially going to be more difficult than the last if things aren't resolved quickly.

The other thing to remember is if Parkinson fears for his position as much as Nixon says he will possibly be already looking for other jobs. If it is as delicate as not being able to offer Jimmy Phillips a new deal then I suspect things will be rocky this summer.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 17, 2018 12:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:03 pm
If it is as delicate as not being able to offer Jimmy Phillips a new deal then I suspect things will be rocky this summer.
Ken's no numpty. The Academy set up is a major attraction to any potential investor, and Jimmy P knows this. Just a little hardball, I'd imagine.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
If it is as delicate as not being able to offer Jimmy Phillips a new deal then I suspect things will be rocky this summer.
Ken's no numpty. The Academy set up is a major attraction to any potential investor, and Jimmy P knows this. Just a little hardball, I'd imagine.
Might be that. But the way it was presented was that a deal can't be offered as there are negotiations on the sale of the club taking place. If that is true it is good in that negotiations must be fairly advanced, but bad in the sense that by the time it is resolved we could be in a pickle!

Also I'm not convinced the academy setup is an attraction for an investor. If you're from Saudi Arabia and coming to spend your millions on a football club you're probably not bothered about the academy that much!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 17, 2018 12:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
It seems that we aren't able to sign new deals whilst current talks are taking place (which means there is more substance than tyre kickers) but that could drag on a while.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Might be that. But the way it was presented was that a deal can't be offered as there are negotiations on the sale of the club taking place. If that is true it is good in that negotiations must be fairly advanced, but bad in the sense that by the time it is resolved we could be in a pickle!

Also I'm not convinced the academy setup is an attraction for an investor. If you're from Saudi Arabia and coming to spend your millions on a football club you're probably not bothered about the academy that much!
How d'you mean, chap? Are you saying that because of the usual due diligence in a business takeover, BWFC can't guarantee any new contracts? Is everybody aware that we only have nine players for next season? Surely there's wiggle-room in there...

Also, if not, then last winter's decision to postpone talks looks ever more ridiculous by the day. Yes, it was always under the caveat of survival - but that's easily assumed and deals in principle agreed.

As for the Academy - depends on the scale of your ambition, perhaps. City's owners are bang up for it, in a world-domination way. That will have been noted. Here's City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak welcoming George Osborne to City's Academy, which is where the first teams (male and female) also train. It's not hard to imagine the same idea, if not on the same scale, at Lostock, where the seniors and youth are already cohabiting.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Thu May 17, 2018 12:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

How d'you mean, chap? Are you saying that because of the usual due diligence in a business takeover, BWFC can't guarantee any new contracts? Is everybody aware that we only have nine players for next season? Surely there's wiggle-room in there...

Also, if not, then last winter's decision to postpone talks looks ever more ridiculous by the day. Yes, it was always under the caveat of survival - but that's easily assumed and deals in principle agreed.
Might not be as far as due diligence, but if I'm seriously considering investing my money into the purchase of a business I probably am not wanting said business taking on significant high cost contracts or commitments as I'm appraising the books and the financial position. It might leave us in the shite for next season, but Ken isn't risking millions on that basis.

The biggest worry is it all breaking down in the next couple of weeks and us going into the market with similar funds to last season, but this time late and with 9 players on the books. Ken simply has to do everything he can to ensure that doesn't happen.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 17, 2018 12:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:36 pm
Might not be as far as due diligence, but if I'm seriously considering investing my money into the purchase of a business I probably am not wanting said business taking on significant high cost contracts or commitments as I'm appraising the books and the financial position. It might leave us in the shite for next season, but Ken isn't risking millions on that basis.
OK, that's all reasonable, but is it based on any more than (rational) guesstimation? Any quotes from tea-leaf readers?

I'm not questioning your central premise - that any potential investor wouldn't be ecstatic to see further dependencies adding red figures into the profit/loss column. But surely things have to carry on or the business can't function. If somebody's looking to buy out Mothercare, do they suddenly stop purchasing prams?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Thu May 17, 2018 12:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:36 pm
OK, that's all reasonable, but is it based on any more than (rational) guesstimation? Any quotes from tea-leaf readers?

I'm not questioning your central premise - that any potential investor wouldn't be ecstatic to see further dependencies adding red figures into the profit/loss column. But surely things have to carry on or the business can't function. If somebody's looking to buy out Mothercare, do they suddenly stop purchasing prams?
Iles has said in his recent articles that "everything is on hold contracts wise". I'm speculating as to why, but I suspect on fairly solid ground given the reports from Nixon and Iles and lack of anything from Ken himself.

I agree with your general premise, but signing footballers or managers or whatever is probably far wider an impact on a business than re-stocking mothercare. And potentially has a wider impact on the sale-ability. There clearly has to come a point where things get moved on, but when that is, who knows?

If the talk of the Saudis being interested is true and there is a substantial investment on the table I suspect Ken will prioritise that over next season.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu May 17, 2018 1:43 pm

This whole herding cats mess gives me a sinking feeling. This could go titanically tits up.
All the good frees will get snapped up and we'll get dregs.

They should release all but a few and let Parky sign a few freebies or cheapies in the interim.

Give us the cheap-ass core of a squad at least. If you snooze you lose when the window opens.
We got lucky with relegation, now is the time to consolidate not dilly dally about in a dither.
Need new owners quick smart - Saudis not Venkys!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 17, 2018 1:58 pm

mullayo wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:43 pm
This whole herding cats mess gives me a sinking feeling. This could go titanically tits up.
All the good frees will get snapped up and we'll get dregs.

They should release all but a few and let Parky sign a few freebies or cheapies in the interim.

Give us the cheap-ass core of a squad at least. If you snooze you lose when the window opens.
We got lucky with relegation, now is the time to consolidate not dilly dally about in a dither.
Need new owners quick smart - Saudis not Venkys!
Its just the way it is. Parky may well be more focused on his options than worrying about signings.

Just let it play out. Has always been a major problem brewing on the horizon and the bottom line is that without some investment the club doesn't have a future. Far better to sort that out first, its a far bigger issue than next season.

Had we gone down chances are we were staring at admin.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Anyone see the piece in the BN saying our academy was the most productive in the EFL?

We've produced more through our youth system these last few years but it still seems next to nowt and we've already dismissed the latest crop as being miles off
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Fri May 18, 2018 7:40 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ers_talks/

Big meeting today for Parky and Ken, hopefully things will soon be a lot clearer for all at BWFC.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 am

Bradford have released right-back Tony McMahon, the guy who was keeping Stephen Darby out of the team. Parky signed him in July 2015 and picked him 57 times, which is one more than Stuart McCall, who preferred the north-easterner's more attacking style to Stephen Darby's. McMahon is now 32, and with Little and Darby still contracted it's hard to imagine the position being a priority, but it's worth noting when Parky's old faithfuls become freely available.

For the record, Bratfurt have also released post-Parky German goalkeepers Lukas Raeder (24) and Rouven Sattelmaier (30), as well as midfielder Nicky Law (30), who also joined two summers ago.

Back up in our league (sorry Stuart), Millwall have released Tim Cahill and midfielder Jimmy Abdou (33, 342 Lions apps). They've offered new deals to Byron Webster (a northern centre-back whom I mentioned up the thread), Sid Nelson and Harry Donovan, while triggering extension clauses with Lee Gregory, Aiden O'Brien, Ryan Sandford, Danny McNamara, Lewis White and David Martin.

They've also released Czech/Canadian winger Kris Twardek (21), striker Harry Smith (22), striker Jamie Philpot (21), left-back Noah Chesmain (20), centre-back Christian Mbulu (21), striker Noel Leighton (20), forward Kristian Brymora (19) and keeper Harry Girling (20) – and, perhaps more notably, Harry Toffolo. Besides having a great name, the 22-year-old left-back was well regarded as a Norwich youth player, winning the 2013 Youth Cup and representing England at U18, U19 and U20 levels. Millwall bought out the last six months of his contract in January but didn't use him - as we've seen, Neil Harris had a very set first XI. With us needing a younger, more spritely option to AT at left-back, I wonder whether Toffolo might be an option. (He's also a six-footer, which would please Parky.)

One other bit of business, speaking of nippy full-backs: Reading have signed Barnsley's Andy Yiadom on a Bosman. He's the Ghana international who cleared an effort off the line at theirs. Other teams are starting to move, so I'm glad to hear KA & PP are having a grown-up chat today.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 am

@DSB Iles said yesterday that only U24's have to be offered contracts by today. Senior players is in June according to others on twitter!

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri May 18, 2018 9:58 am

Riviman wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:40 am
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ers_talks/

Big meeting today for Parky and Ken, hopefully things will soon be a lot clearer for all at BWFC.
Don't know if I agree with Parky chasing "younger more energetic players".
a) He wouldn't catch them
b) Everyone wants young stars they're an ULTRA EXPENSIVE luxury for top of the table teams

We need a core of Big Sam's Bastard Relegation Battling Brigade. Mentally tough, been there done that types. Karl Henry, Gavin McCann et al.

Nothing wrong with upgrading the overall athleticism but blooding this year's model of Keshi Anderson or Feeney or Trotter will cost us points.Go for the young guns on loan only. Otherwise cheapskate on the youf.

Splurge on two or three spine players: a proven Championship goalscorer up front and the same calibre midfielder that can chip in with 5 to 10 goals and assists or a mobile central defender.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 18, 2018 10:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 am
@DSB Iles said yesterday that only U24's have to be offered contracts by today. Senior players is in June according to others on twitter!
Ah, Twitter? OK then. I mean it might be true, but if so I can't see at all why we're exempt from the rules.

Also depends how you read his piece this morning:
KEN Anderson is expected to tell Phil Parkinson to begin planning for next season after summoning the manager for talks today.

The Bolton News has learned the pair will meet to discuss the future of more than 20 out-of-contract first team and development squad players, with a view to nailing down some of the key players as quickly as possible. (...)

Today is also the deadline for the Whites to submit offers to all players aged under the age of 24.
Other clubs are starting to announce theirs: Bristol City have released Gary O’Neil, Luke Steele, Scott Golbourne and Arnold Garita.

And as we've said, technically they don't have to announce the intended retentions - just the ones they are NOT offering contracts to... although it's not hard to work out the others from that. And that, I suppose, is what Ken and Phil are discussing now.

"So... Dorian Dervite?"
"He's a good man to have around, Ken."
<purses lips> "You didn't play him between August and January, Phil."
[etc]