Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:42 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 am
@DSB Iles said yesterday that only U24's have to be offered contracts by today. Senior players is in June according to others on twitter!
Ah, Twitter? OK then. I mean it might be true, but if so I can't see at all why we're exempt from the rules.

Also depends how you read his piece this morning:
KEN Anderson is expected to tell Phil Parkinson to begin planning for next season after summoning the manager for talks today.

The Bolton News has learned the pair will meet to discuss the future of more than 20 out-of-contract first team and development squad players, with a view to nailing down some of the key players as quickly as possible. (...)

Today is also the deadline for the Whites to submit offers to all players aged under the age of 24.
Other clubs are starting to announce theirs: Bristol City have released Gary O’Neil, Luke Steele, Scott Golbourne and Arnold Garita.

And as we've said, technically they don't have to announce the intended retentions - just the ones they are NOT offering contracts to... although it's not hard to work out the others from that. And that, I suppose, is what Ken and Phil are discussing now.

"So... Dorian Dervite?"
"He's a good man to have around, Ken."
<purses lips> "You didn't play him between August and January, Phil."
[etc]
I suspect the rules might have changed....who knows. Iles definitely said its U24's today.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 18, 2018 10:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am
I suspect the rules might have changed....who knows. Iles definitely said its U24's today.
Possible. It wouldn't be the first time the EFL have changed the regulations and not updated the regulations they publish on their site under the link "Regulations"... :D
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... --players/
Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 10.51.06.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 10.51.06.png (208.57 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
Under-24s are a subset of this regulation, with different rules for compensation etc, but they have no difference in date deadline. Hence, perhaps, Iles's "also the deadline for U24s"?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 18, 2018 11:02 am

Fri May 18, 2018 10:54 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am
Possible. It wouldn't be the first time the EFL have changed the regulations and not updated the regulations they publish on their site under the link "Regulations"... :D
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... --players/

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 10.51.06.png

Under-24s are a subset of this regulation, with different rules for compensation etc, but they have no difference in date deadline. Hence, perhaps, Iles's "also the deadline for U24s"?
Yes, I've seen that. I guess ultimately if those regulations are still accurate we have to write to the players and notify the EFL by tomorrow. There is of course no requirement for any of this to be made public by the club until the EFL publish the lists in mid June. So the offers may have been made already.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 18, 2018 11:15 am

Sheffield Wednesday have released Glenn Loovens (34, CB), Ross Wallace (33 next week, winger) and Jake Kean (27, GK). They've offered contracts to promising youngsters Sean Clare and George Hirst; Atdhe Nuhiu, Dan Wallis, Warren Clarke and Jack Lee have re-signed.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 18, 2018 11:26 am

Reading have released Irish midfielder Stephen Quinn (32), striker Joseph Mendes (27), goalkeeper Jonathan Bond (24) and striker Deniss Rakels (25). They’ve all been troubled by injury, bar Bond, who you may just about remember from when he played for Watford as a late pre-match replacement for Almunia in a vital game against Leeds in May 2013 - he suffered his own injury, they had to bring on a kid who had a howler, and lost out on the last day. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footb ... eport.html

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 18, 2018 11:51 am

Mirror claims Stevie Me wants Reece Burke at Rangers but faces opposition from Sheffield Wednesday after "the highly-rated youngster impressed last season". OhhhhhKaaaay....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Perhaps surprisingly given their recent morass of owners and managers, Leeds aren't releasing any senior players. Only Tom Pearce was out of contract and he's been offered terms. They are, though, releasing kids Moses Adioye, Matthew Keogh, Moise Kroma and the marvellously-named Romario Vieira (they've kept hold of his twin, Ronaldo Vieira).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Derby have released Darren Bent (34), centre-back Jason Shackell (34) and utility defender Chris Baird (36). Also emptying their lockers are U23s Alex Cover, Emil Riis Jakobsen, Kyron Stabana and Matthew Taylor plus U18 player Ayomide Jibodu.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri May 18, 2018 2:15 pm

I can see us picking a few up from the previous posts, our average age would be well into the 30s then though!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Here's slightly younger: Birmingham release midfielders Jason Lowe (26) and Andrew Shinnie (28). We were linked with longtime Blackburn player Lowe, something of a defensive utility man, when he was released by relegated Rovers last summer; would be no surprise at all if he goes back to Ewood. Scotland cap Shinnie, more of an attacking midfielder, has been in the shadows for two seasons, on loan at Hibs and Luton.

Wigan have released our former Academy product Andy Kellett plus Donervon Daniels, Reece James, Luke Burke and Sam Stubbs; they've offered terms to David Perkins, Alex Bruce, Gary Roberts, Jamie Jones and Noel Hunt.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Cardiff installed as favourite to sign Solomon Rondon

"Come home Gaz"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Fri May 18, 2018 4:33 pm
Cardiff installed as favourite to sign Solomon Rondon

"Come home Gaz"
Not for me. He was going end of the season if he hadn't in January. He was great for the last two seasons, but we need to find someone else now.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 18, 2018 5:31 pm

Barnsley confirm release of Adam Hammill, Andy Yiadom (who's already lined up a move to Reading), Matt Mills (!), Nick Townsend, Adam Lund, Louis Rowe, Will Alderton, Sam Lomax, Tom Clare, Robbie Simpson, Sam Tingle, Brad Ash, Shaun Tuton, Kane Swinburn and the superbly titled Wilberforce Ocran.

Hull confirm release of David Meyler, Greg Luer, Greg Olley and Josh Clackstone. They’ve offered contracts to Max Clark, Abel Hernandez, Seb Larsson, Moses Odubajo and Michael Dawson

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 pm

We're in a bit of a sticky patch at the moment. A real shame that we are talking selling the club (even investment is effectively doing that) and because of it can't move forward in any positive way right now till something is resolved. At a time when others are in the market and buying, we're waiting for the A.A somewhere on the M61. If a one season or pay as play could be fixed up I'd say go for Darren Bent without hesitation. He knows the score up front and is a natural goal predator. Get him sharp and fit and he'd do well for us with the likes of Alfie up front. Wilbraham as first or second back up because he'll be affordable and Sammi on the prowl coming in from wide with Morais on the other wing. Still a lot of unknown factors though at present.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat May 19, 2018 4:55 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 pm
If a one season or pay as play could be fixed up I'd say go for Darren Bent without hesitation. He knows the score up front and is a natural goal predator. Get him sharp and fit and he'd do well for us with the likes of Alfie up front. Wilbraham as first or second back up because he'll be affordable and Sammi on the prowl coming in from wide with Morais on the other wing. Still a lot of unknown factors though at present.
Bent only got 2 goals in 15 games on loan at Burton last year 1 every 435mins (Madine 10 goals at 247mins). Injured for the whole year before and 34 year old that relies on pace.
Meyler 28, 6ft3in defensive mid/right winger got 5 goals at 1 every 312 mins. Only played 26 games but still I'd go for him first.
What could've happened; did.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 am

Wolves have released 12 young ‘uns: Jordan Allan (CF, 20), Dan Armstrong (RW, 20), Anthony Breslin (LB, 21), Nicu Carnat (RW, 20), Ross Finnie (CM, 20), Jon Flatt (GK, 23), Conor Levingston (CM, 20), Tomas Nogueira (AM, 19), Hakeem Odoffin (RB, 20), Adam Osbourne (LB, 19), Ryan Rainey (DM, 21) and Jose Xavier (CF, 21).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 21, 2018 9:33 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 pm
We're in a bit of a sticky patch at the moment. A real shame that we are talking selling the club (even investment is effectively doing that) and because of it can't move forward in any positive way right now till something is resolved. At a time when others are in the market and buying, we're waiting for the A.A somewhere on the M61. If a one season or pay as play could be fixed up I'd say go for Darren Bent without hesitation. He knows the score up front and is a natural goal predator. Get him sharp and fit and he'd do well for us with the likes of Alfie up front. Wilbraham as first or second back up because he'll be affordable and Sammi on the prowl coming in from wide with Morais on the other wing. Still a lot of unknown factors though at present.
TD whatever resource we have or don't have we need to be investing that in younger players who can work hard. Bent is 34 and expensive. Plus he hasn't done an awful lot for a number of years. We need a striker for Alfie to play off. Someone who works hard, leads the line, ideally has pace. It isn't easy to find but certainly we can't sign Bent, or Wilbraham. Its just a drain on resources that are precious to carry old players who can do the odd cameo here and there, but little else.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon May 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Investment or not, change of owners or not, I can only see another season of hard fought consolidation, with the spectre of relegation hopefully out of the way a little earlier. A mixture of journeymen, young loanees and whoever else we can cobble together at relatively low cost will form the squad for now, with a possible cash injection come January if we're struggling.

I predict no marquee signings, a number of "Who"?? signings from lower leagues and the only ray of sunshine being a decent goal scoring spree from a young Premier loanee.

Yes, I know, I'm a little ray of sunshine........
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 21, 2018 2:52 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:38 pm
Investment or not, change of owners or not, I can only see another season of hard fought consolidation, with the spectre of relegation hopefully out of the way a little earlier. A mixture of journeymen, young loanees and whoever else we can cobble together at relatively low cost will form the squad for now, with a possible cash injection come January if we're struggling.

I predict no marquee signings, a number of "Who"?? signings from lower leagues and the only ray of sunshine being a decent goal scoring spree from a young Premier loanee.

Yes, but none of that is a hugely bad thing. It is where we are. If we stay up again, hopefully a little more securely than this time, that represents a great deal of progress from where we were a few years prior.

The club was at its lowest point in its generation. In the current climate the climb back is incredibly difficult and will be slow. But if we keep going in the right direction it is all good.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:38 pm

I'll take that. Slow progression. Safe with a couple to go, lower mid table would do me just fine.