Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:24 pm

4k a week of 16k? Bloody hell, they knew we were desperate.

He's really not a bad goalkeeper, as he showed on loan at Charlton. No idea what went on with him here (aside from playing behind an awful defence), but his face doesn't fit and he's not shown the form we need. He's worth a lot more than 4k a week to a Championship side, though, so there should be a deal to do.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:24 pm

He's really not a bad goalkeeper, as he showed on loan at Charlton. No idea what went on with him here (aside from playing behind an awful defence), but his face doesn't fit and he's not shown the form we need. He's worth a lot more than 4k a week to a Championship side, though, so there should be a deal to do.
In the 2015/16 season Amos developed a bizarre ability to let in long range shots that were reasonably well struck but not even in the corners. He seemed to move well enough and dive well enough but somehow not save the shots. It was quite bizarre. He seemed to have a similar issue at Cardiff when he was on loan there in the 2016/17 season. Warnock quickly ditched him from the team when he took over. There aren't as many players capable of hitting good long range shots in L1 so it will be interesting to see how he goes back in the Championship. Basically we were only getting 4k a week of his wage because at the time that is all he was worth. His stock was low.

In other news we are linked with Nedum Onuoha:

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... r-defender

Not a bad option imho. More pace, athletic ability and ability on the ball than Wheavers. 31 though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:07 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:04 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:24 pm

In the 2015/16 season Amos developed a bizarre ability to let in long range shots that were reasonably well struck but not even in the corners. He seemed to move well enough and dive well enough but somehow not save the shots. It was quite bizarre. He seemed to have a similar issue at Cardiff when he was on loan there in the 2016/17 season. Warnock quickly ditched him from the team when he took over. There aren't as many players capable of hitting good long range shots in L1 so it will be interesting to see how he goes back in the Championship. Basically we were only getting 4k a week of his wage because at the time that is all he was worth. His stock was low.

In other news we are linked with Nedum Onuoha:

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... r-defender

Not a bad option imho. More pace, athletic ability and ability on the ball than Wheavers. 31 though.
Iles: "Although I think there has been some interest in Nedum Onuoha at #BWFC - it is sounding like he's a lot closer to signing for Hull City."

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:12 pm

Onuoho would inject some much needed pace into the back four. Not at all surprised he's closer to joining Hull, who will be able to pay him a lot more than we can.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:30 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:12 pm
Onuoho would inject some much needed pace into the back four. Not at all surprised he's closer to joining Hull, who will be able to pay him a lot more than we can.
Would they? Parachutes, yes, but they're actively shedding high earners. I mean, they may offer more than us, but they're hardly showering it around.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:30 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Would they? Parachutes, yes, but they're actively shedding high earners. I mean, they may offer more than us, but they're hardly showering it around.
Also, Hull are a toxic club atm. Despised owners taking as much money out of the club as possible. Players leaving at the first opportunity. Still they can offer a lot more than we can and that might be the most important thing to a 31 year old looking for his last decent contract..

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:52 pm

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:30 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
It's all relative. One man's poverty is another man's riches. Even with the marginal improvement in our finances we are still going to be offering some of the lowest wages in the division. Hull need to shed high earners, but even their lowest earners will be getting 2-3 times what we can offer Onuoha.

Michael Dawson left on a free. His post-relegation wage was 30k a week. If they offer Onuoha 1/3 of that they'll still blow our offer out of the water if our wage cap of 6k is accurate reporting. It's also worth noting that Onuoha's wage at QPR was said by one Celtic coach to be around 30k a week, which is why they failed to agree terms with him last summer when they showed interest. Whilst nobody else is likely to get near that, he's probably looking for more than we can offer him.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 am

Onuoha would be a great signing. Loads of pace. Hope playing for Citeh and QPR hasn't ruined him wages wise.
Supposedly some sort of genius but always played too reactive for me. Maybe he just wants to live back in Manchester and we can snare him.
What could've happened; did.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:24 am

mullayo wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:05 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:38 am
Riviman wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 am
Not a good way to find out you're no longer needed:
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... lub_tweet/
I actually don't believe this for one minute....this is not how KA / PP or BWFC for that matter do their business.

Yeah, I took that with a grain of salt too. Probably left message on his phone and email's in his inbox. That's what you get for using T.w.a.tter - disappointment.
Still nothing definitive to mop up the story about Morais' departure, but Iles has done a piece today sticking to his guns.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... is_summer/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:12 am

Find it surprising the level of surprise that 32 year old Morais who was injured for a large chunk last season has been released.

Its June. Iles and everyone else needs to calm down.

Morais isn't going to take the club forward. Clearly there is more ambition this time round in terms of signings and we've already bagged two players Parky wanted and who look like they'll be better than we had last season.

I like Filipe, and it seems a harsh way to find out. But ultimately if he's what we're relying on we'll be bottom 3 most likely.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:31 am

I would have had Morais as a squad member, back-up, good bloke to have around, popular, presumably not on much, wouldn't be unsettled by being on the bench, set-pieces might change something (Oztumer yes but the wee man might be injured and even if not they favour different feet). I certainly feel sorry for him if he found out the way is being claimed; although I accept he may have been away, it seems a huge break from the Parky protocol of telling them face-to-face.

Anyway, we move on. These three kids we picked up are for the Development team, or we're in for a long hard season. If they absolutely smash the U23s then maybe just maybe they can make the step up but I wouldn't go counting them in your provisional squads.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:38 am

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:31 am
I would have had Morais as a squad member, back-up, good bloke to have around, popular, presumably not on much, wouldn't be unsettled by being on the bench, set-pieces might change something (Oztumer yes but the wee man might be injured and even if not they favour different feet). I certainly feel sorry for him if he found out the way is being claimed; although I accept he may have been away, it seems a huge break from the Parky protocol of telling them face-to-face.

Anyway, we move on. These three kids we picked up are for the Development team, or we're in for a long hard season. If they absolutely smash the U23s then maybe just maybe they can make the step up but I wouldn't go counting them in your provisional squads.
I mean yes as back up. But again I'd rather find younger backup we can develop, whether it be from our own pool or elsewhere. I like Morais and feel he's a bit unlucky, but we don't know for example that it isn't a game of cat and mouse. Perhaps he had an offer and turned it down? And club then said "ok off you go". The timing and nature of the announcment makes me err towards that sort of a thing going on.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Nedum no go according to Illes!

Fear not though "academy graduate Harry Brockbank is also expected to sign a professional contract in the near future."

Also "Last season’s defensive loanees Antonee Robinson, from Everton, and Jon Flanagan, who has just been released by Liverpool, are also being considered."

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:17 am

Flanagan would be a surprise. I know he has serious baggage and an injury history, but he's generally regarded as a decent Premier League player and you'd think someone who could outbid us would make an offer. Rangers are interested, if we believe the papers.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 am

The Blue Dragon returning to the roost?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... to_Bolton/

Could the bleeding obvious be about to become reality?
Probably not, reading between the lines the whole article smacks of wishful thinking and slow news day...

Ameobi negotiations ongoing is the more concrete tidbit buried in the middle of the aritcle

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:33 am

Chungy, Ozzy, Alf and SAmeobi our cup runneth over.
Roll over Beethoven and Barcelona to boot!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 am

mullayo wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 am
The Blue Dragon returning to the roost?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... to_Bolton/

Could the bleeding obvious be about to become reality?
Probably not, reading between the lines the whole article smacks of wishful thinking and slow news day...

Ameobi negotiations ongoing is the more concrete tidbit buried in the middle of the aritcle
Have to say a creative three of Chungy, Oztumer and Ameobi would be very exciting. Noone and Buckley would be decent as back up too. That would be a top half of Championship creative department imho. Doesn't sound impossible. Make it so Ken/Parky.

Clayton Donaldson plus say Ashley Fletcher or Chris Martin on loan. Antonee back. A better central defender or two, and a couple more combative midfielders and another keeper, plus that creative department and we would look quite decent.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:41 am

Chungy is more than I hope for. I'd love to have him back and sign Sammy up, but I'm not holding out hope of either.

If we go into next season with Ozzy, Chungy and Sammy as the creative trio then I'll be a very, very happy bunny.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:44 am

I will say that if the links we have have any substance to them at all then we are aiming higher than I'd expected and that's pleasing.

Chungy, Onuoha, Flanagan etc are very good players at this level and if we really are chasing those kinds of signings then we're not just planning to scrape by again this time around.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:04 am

Clear there is ambition. I heard a few weeks back that Parky is trying hard to sign Jordan Rhodes on a season long loan. Sticking point is that Wednesday need his wages covered and a loan fee. They are FFP hamstrung.