Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:50 pm

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/7-goa ... 19-season/

:whack:
Alf to Millwall they need a 20 goal a year striker... :crazy:
What could've happened; did.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 pm

mullayo wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:50 pm
https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/7-goa ... 19-season/

:whack:
Alf to Millwall they need a 20 goal a year striker... :crazy:
Just for the avoidance of doubt: that's not a rumour, it's a theory.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:59 pm

For want of a better place to put this: a reminder that the fixtures are out tomorrow at 9am.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:27 pm

Is that the championship 5 a side league ?, because that's the only league that we could compete in with our current squad size !!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 pm

The internet is full of weirdos with access to stats and FIFA very confident that they know what they're on about.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:00 am

Here's a Posh rumour for you!
"Stylish" captain and centre-back Jack Baldwin 24 years old and 6ft 1in, 70kg :D

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ck-baldwin

Although the author's credibility is somewhat undermined when he claims we were relegated. Bolton, Burton whatevs... Dundee and Aberdeen have already had bids rejected. Although he is available for $250GBP according to Mr Didn't Watch The Last 3 Minutes of Last Season.

Could be the more mobile centre back we need?
FROM OFFICIAL POSH SITE

Baldwin is a versatile performer, who is equally adept at playing as a centre back or as a right-back. He could also slot into a defensive midfield role if required.

The 23-year-old has had his injury problems since arriving at the ABAX Stadium, but there is no doubting his ability. He has also worn the captains armband with many seeing him as a potential long-term skipper thanks to organisational skills. Determined in the tackle, Baldwin is good in the air, but it is reading of the game and his ability to link defence with midfield/attack that has often caught the eye.
Last edited by mullayo on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:18 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:59 pm
For want of a better place to put this: a reminder that the fixtures are out tomorrow at 9am.
Right we want all the relegated teams early before they settle, the crap teams in the middle and the mid-table teams at the end when they got nothing to play for.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 am

FROM WIKIPEDIA: "Hartlepool manager Neale Cooper likened 18-year-old Baldwin to a 'young Alan Hansen' praising Baldwin on 'the way he reads the game'."

Baldwin turns 25 on June 30 so should be in his prime.
However a series of knee injuries has limited his appearances to 73 in 5 seasons for the Posh (15 games per season).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 am

If Posh were selling for £250k they'd be cutting their losses. He showed up for about half a million (a lot for Posh) a few years ago and was expected to make them a lot of money. He's also captain, which makes it even more strange. Posh are usually set on making at least a small profit on any transfer of that kind, so that really wouldn't go down well over there. You'd have to think his injury issues might be really, really problematic if they're doing this.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:25 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 am
If Posh were selling for £250k they'd be cutting their losses. He showed up for about half a million (a lot for Posh) a few years ago and was expected to make them a lot of money. He's also captain, which makes it even more strange. Posh are usually set on making at least a small profit on any transfer of that kind, so that really wouldn't go down well over there. You'd have to think his injury issues might be really, really problematic if they're doing this.

At Hartlepool he played a lot more about 26 games per. So maybe they're cutting their losses as in salary per game played isn't worth it.
Last year only 6 games...

Although, someone noted Posh always transfer list players in there last year...??? but he could well be crocked. Knowing our luck he's the next Quinton Fortune... Another 'inspirational stay at home captain' like Pratley, we don't need.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:40 am

It's true that Posh don't tend to let players leave on free if they have any value, but they don't appear to have bothered offering him a new contract and that worries me. If we sign him, I will view it as a risk unless we hear something to convince me otherwise. Posh tend to have 3-4 very good players on their books at any time and he's regarded as being better than the division he is in, but if he can't string together a few games without breaking down then he's no use to us.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:00 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:40 am
It's true that Posh don't tend to let players leave on free if they have any value, but they don't appear to have bothered offering him a new contract and that worries me. If we sign him, I will view it as a risk unless we hear something to convince me otherwise. Posh tend to have 3-4 very good players on their books at any time and he's regarded as being better than the division he is in, but if he can't string together a few games without breaking down then he's no use to use.
I think I agree with this. Somebody already mentioned Quinton Fortune and there have been others in the past. We had Holden and Mark Davies, excellent on paper but prevented from being stars by in juries. Robbie Elliot and the Frenchman, Florent Laville also come to mind. Injuries are unavoidable and happen to all clubs, but with our skeleton squad we really don't need any zombies on the books. Really good players for us always have a suitcase packed because they won't be here long anyway. As ever, all our problems have a £ sign in front of them.

Realistically, we are actually doing things right and setting an example of how the game should be pay structured, and it's only the money mad disciples screwing it up. Mind you, if the English Leagues weren't such a money magnet all our players would be called Smith, Jones and Robers etc, rather than Hazard, Sala and De Bruyne....they'd all have headed for Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Munich etc. Such is millennium football.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:03 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
It's true that Posh don't tend to let players leave on free if they have any value, but they don't appear to have bothered offering him a new contract and that worries me. If we sign him, I will view it as a risk unless we hear something to convince me otherwise. Posh tend to have 3-4 very good players on their books at any time and he's regarded as being better than the division he is in, but if he can't string together a few games without breaking down then he's no use to us.

How about the mythical contract with low wages but high games played bonuses?

He might back himself we seem to be the only suitor offering Champ level competition (once he learns we weren't actually relegated).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 am

mullayo wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:03 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:

He might back himself we seem to be the only suitor offering Champ level competition (once he learns we weren't actually relegated).
I'm not saying I'll complain if we sign him. I'm prepared to give everyone we sign a chance.

The issue, as I personally see it, is that if we bring in a crock he will (even if on low wages) take up a slot in the squad. Under normal circumstances that's fine and other lads can step in, but when you're operating with a skeleton crew each injury becomes magnified as an issue. We need players who are capable of playing not just 20 games a year, but more like 40. Bringing in a player who may struggle to even play 10-15 would really worry me.

Again, I'm not saying "hell no", it'd just worry me. I want to build a sustainable squad that we can add to year on year so we can eventually challenge for promotion. I'd need convincing a player with his injury history can be part of that.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 am

I'm not saying I'll complain if we sign him. I'm prepared to give everyone we sign a chance.

The issue, as I personally see it, is that if we bring in a crock he will (even if on low wages) take up a slot in the squad. Under normal circumstances that's fine and other lads can step in, but when you're operating with a skeleton crew each injury becomes magnified as an issue. We need players who are capable of playing not just 20 games a year, but more like 40. [b A)]Bringing in a player who may struggle to even play 10-15 would really worry me.[/b]

Again, I'm not saying "hell no", it'd just worry me. B) I want to build a sustainable squad that we can add to year on year so we can eventually challenge for promotion. I'd need convincing a player with his injury history can be part of that.
[/quote]

A) I disagree slightly. I think the bulk of our squad will be full of youthful punts both loans and the likes of Chiori and Pritchard. Most of whom will never come to fruition... at best benchwarmers and at worst wasting playing time while losing us points...

It's a fine line of course, but for me, if we get 15 games out of a talented vet it's better than 15 games of experimental youngster. And likely producing better results on the points table.
It's not like he's 34 he's 24. I'd rather take a punt on semi-proven quality than undergo the teething troubles of a random youf.

B) Challenging for promotion is a pipe dream at this stage with the shape of our squad and bank balance.
Simply surviving is the target this year.
Signing Lowe and OZ to two year contracts is the full extent of our wiggle room financially. Fully considered low risk contracts are all we have the financials for.
IMO in the short term four or five Jack Baldwins will earn more points than four or five Chiori Johnsons and Joe Pritchards.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am

By the way - SKD's selling off a load of his bumph in a Twitter auction ahead of him "moving down south". What's he up to? Would've loved to have had him on the coaching staff, especially if Parky is, as he appears to be, adamant that we'll have a big bully up top.
May the bridges I burn light your way

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:33 am

Seems like Flanagan's move to Rangers is pretty much a done deal.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 am

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:33 am
Makes James Tavernier available. 5 years younger than Little and probably marginally better.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:09 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 am
Makes James Tavernier available. 5 years younger than Little and probably marginally better.
I know nothing of Tavernier but Gerrard was on the gogglebox this week saying that if he doesn't want players they'll soon be gone. I'm assuming the savvy could pick up bargains.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:09 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 am
I know nothing of Tavernier but Gerrard was on the gogglebox this week saying that if he doesn't want players they'll soon be gone. I'm assuming the savvy could pick up bargains.
I only know about him from Toon and Wigan, I haven't really followed his career, so I'm going off second-hand info mostly.

Rangers are far from what they once were, but they've a few decent players. I assume the club will have a look if anyone becomes available.