Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:43 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 am
Both Johnson and Pritchard were well regarded by their clubs until they got injuries. Arsenal and Spurs both underwent changes to their academy management after those players joined and they went from on the verges of a first team chance in the cups to outsiders.

I assume they're in for the U23s, but seeing them in the team this season wouldn't surprise me. I don't see us signing anyone that has no chance of getting a game, we've no spare cash for that.
Doubt it, unless they are specifically advanced in their development.

Be good for a few to be able to sit on the bench sometimes though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 am

Two reasons why Pritchard and Johnson are training with the seniors. Firstly, numbers: you want a decent squad in order to properly do drills up to and including full 11 v 11 practices. (Parky is also very keen on mixing the seniors and kids, providing a pathway, stopping them being overawed when called upon). On last summer's Scotland tour and pre-season programme we took about six kids and a rotating carousel of trialists.

CHORLEY:
First-half team lost 2-0, second-half team won 3-0. Chorley had a mon sent off at 2-0.
First half: Alnwick; Little, Wheater, Dervite, Lonsdale; Buckley, Perry, Karacan, King; Madine, Le Fondre
Second half: Howard; Darby, Brockbank, Beevers, Taylor; White, Vela, Pratley, C Taylor; Hall, Trialist (Tabakovic).
Goals: young defender Harry Brockbank got two, either side of young winger Ryan White.

ARBROATH:
(0-60m, 4-4-2 diamond): Howard (off at HT); Little, Dervite, Brockbank, Lonsdale; Earing; C.Taylor, King; Le Fondre (c); Hall, Tabakovic.
(60-90m, 4-2-3-1): Alnwick (on at HT); Darby, Wheater, Beevers, A.Taylor; Karacan, Pratley (c); White, Vela, Buckley; Madine.
Goals: Le Fondre 32 (p) 1-0, Doris 33 (p) 1-1, Oggie 52 (og) 2-1

DUNDEE
0-60: Alnwick (Howard 45); Darby, Wheater, Beevers, A. Taylor; Karacan, Pratley; Ameobi (C. Taylor 45), Vela, Buckley; Madine.
60-90: Howard; Little, Dervite, Brockbank, Lonsdale; White, King, Derik, C.Taylor; Le Fondre, Tabakovic.
(I'm assuming more of a 4-4-2 with the second team, although it sounds like we were just defending anyway.)

FYLDE
0-45 (3-5-2): Howard; Beevers, Wheater, Brockbank; Little, Perry, Pratley, King, C.Taylor; Madine, Le Fondre.
46-90 (3-5-2): Alnwick; Dervite, Derik, Bruce; Darby, Karacan (Earing 80), Buckley, Vela, A.Taylor; Ameobi, Armstrong.

ATHERTON COLLS
Amos, Shackleford, Percival, Bainbridge, Syme, Wright, Earing, Nabil, Woods, Walliau, Hall
Subs: Turner, Hadyi, White, Lonsdale, Fearnley

FLEETWOOD
(3-4-3): Howard; Dervite (Derik 83), Wheater, Beevers; Darby, Karacan, Vela, Taylor; Ameobi (Le Fondre 62), Madine (Pratley 78), Buckley (Armstrong 62). Not used: Alnwick, Little, C Taylor, Bruce, King.

STOCKPORT
3-5-2: Ben Alnwick; Alex Bruce (T), Alex Perry, Robert Atkinson (T); Mark Little, Derik (Jack Earing 75), Darren Pratley, Jeff King, Chris Taylor; Adam Armstrong (Connor Hall 60), Sammy Ameobi (Ryan White 75).
Unused subs: Jake Turner, Cole Lonsdale, plus four more trialists:
• Liam Edwards (2/10/96, ex Stoke U23 defender)
• Michael Atkinson (13/07/98, midfielder, twin of starter Robert; both have been on Basingstoke Town’s books)
• Anthony Wright (10/10/97, ex-Forest and Fulham winger; US-born with British dad)
• Zach Hadji (winger, son of ex-Cov/Villa winger Mustapha)

FC UNITED
Turner, Lonsdale, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Hall, Trialist, Trialist.

STOKE
3-5-2: Howard, Dervite, Wheater, Beevers, Darby, Vela, Karacan, Pratley, Andrew Taylor, Madine, Le Fondre.

Secondly, Pritchard and Johnson need to be nearer the first team because they're nearer 23. Pritch turns 22 in September, Johnson 21 in October.

These aren't abstract concerns: there's a threshold for being 'overage' at U23 level. This season, clubs are only allowed to field three outfield players over the age of 23, or born before 1 January 1995. As you can see from below, some are a lot nearer that than others. Pritch has two seasons left before he's overage, Johnson three, Connor Hall and Duke-McKenna six. Not all players mature at the same rate but with a couple of seasons left you need to be proving you can play first-team football, either for your host club or someone you sell on to.

Joe Pritchard (pro, 10/09/96, midfielder)
Liam Edwards (pro, 02/10/96, centre-back)
Chiori Johnson (pro, 05/10/97, right-back/defender)
Joe Muscatt (pro, 15/12/97, left-back)
Harry Brockbank (pro, 26/09/98, centre-back)
Jack Earing (pro, 21/01/99, central midfielder)
Connor Hall (pro, 2yrs, 18/02/00, forward)
Dennis Politic (pro, 05/03/00, winger)
Stephen Duke-McKenna (pro, 17/08/00, forward)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:48 am

Yup, which is why I assume they'll see some game time. I doubt either signed on with the promise they'd rot in the reserves and I also doubt we're handing out contracts to people we think have no chance just to fill up the U23s.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:48 am
Yup, which is why I assume they'll see some game time. I doubt either signed on with the promise they'd rot in the reserves and I also doubt we're handing out contracts to people we think have no chance just to fill up the U23s.
I see what you mean, it makes sense and I can't prove otherwise, but even so I wouldn't be 100% sure on any of those counts.

These lads were free agents, or as it's also known at this level, jobseekers. I'm sure they'd have rather stayed at Arsenal and Spurs, but they were turfed out. They might have wanted to enter another Premier League club's academy but (1) those places are gold dust (2) ours is actually very well-regarded, title-winning, first-teamer producing, etc. We may well have been the best offer they got.

They will want to progress to becoming first-teamers, but they have time yet; we won't have told them they'll never ever get a first-team chance but it'll be on the understanding that they prove themselves ready in the Development League, hence the name etc. Anyway, they probably see the hop to first-team duty as a lot shorter at the Unnamed As Yet Stadium than a top-tier club; on that we can all agree.

And on the last bit, filling up the U23s – these lads will be on buttons; at U23 level it's not whether we can afford the wages but the infrastructure, and making sure we choose the best available. The level of best will go up as long as the U23s do well and prove a pathway to the first team; it's a virtuous circle. Making the U23s as strong as can be is a separate thing to the first team: linked, but separate. BWFC have obviously made the decision that these lads are among the best we can get, and will thus help the younger, "local" players like Jack Earing and, er, Dennis Politic. :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:40 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
I see what you mean, it makes sense and I can't prove otherwise, but even so I wouldn't be 100% sure on any of those counts.

These lads were free agents, or as it's also known at this level, jobseekers. I'm sure they'd have rather stayed at Arsenal and Spurs, but they were turfed out. They might have wanted to enter another Premier League club's academy but (1) those places are gold dust (2) ours is actually very well-regarded, title-winning, first-teamer producing, etc. We may well have been the best offer they got.

They will want to progress to becoming first-teamers, but they have time yet; we won't have told them they'll never ever get a first-team chance but it'll be on the understanding that they prove themselves ready in the Development League, hence the name etc. Anyway, they probably see the hop to first-team duty as a lot shorter at the Unnamed As Yet Stadium than a top-tier club; on that we can all agree.

And on the last bit, filling up the U23s – these lads will be on buttons; at U23 level it's not whether we can afford the wages but the infrastructure, and making sure we choose the best available. The level of best will go up as long as the U23s do well and prove a pathway to the first team; it's a virtuous circle. Making the U23s as strong as can be is a separate thing to the first team: linked, but separate. BWFC have obviously made the decision that these lads are among the best we can get, and will thus help the younger, "local" players like Jack Earing and, er, Dennis Politic. :D
I don't disagree with any of that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:45 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:43 pm
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:40 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I don't disagree with any of that.
:D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:48 pm

Meanwhile, some other clubs are snapping up what look like superb freebies.

Hopefully we are near on a few.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:09 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:48 pm

Other clubs fans said the same when we signed Oztumer...always the way.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:09 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Other clubs fans said the same when we signed Oztumer...always the way.
I agree with them. I'm very pleased we got him.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:29 pm

http://sportwitness.co.uk/bolton-intere ... ed-likely/

Looks like Tex is available to own rather than rent but we seem to have doubts about him only after a loan with an option to buy. Cheap but smart too.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:30 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:

Name names. Who are these freebies we should have been all over?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:26 pm

mullayo wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:30 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Not sure about whether we should have been all over them, we are on a shoestring budget, but players like Hakeeb Adelakun have the potential to offer big returns and I think Pukki would have linked up well with Ozzy. Not sure who we have who will play the kind of football he'll need to thrive.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:26 pm
mullayo wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Not sure about whether we should have been all over them, we are on a shoestring budget, but players like Hakeeb Adelakun have the potential to offer big returns and I think Pukki would have linked up well with Ozzy. Not sure who we have who will play the kind of football he'll need to thrive.

Maybe you're right, but if they're targeted by other clubs as well then an auction is created. And with a budget the size of ours, I doubt that we can afford to win multiple auctions.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:43 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:03 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:26 pm
mullayo wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Maybe you're right, but if they're targeted by other clubs as well then an auction is created. And with a budget the size of ours, I doubt that we can afford to win multiple auctions.
Hence me saying I'm not sure we should be all over them. I'm not as concerned by us not getting them as I am by rivals improving.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:35 am

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 am
Two reasons why Pritchard and Johnson are training with the seniors. Firstly, numbers: you want a decent squad in order to properly do drills up to and including full 11 v 11 practices. (Parky is also very keen on mixing the seniors and kids, providing a pathway, stopping them being overawed when called upon). On last summer's Scotland tour and pre-season programme we took about six kids and a rotating carousel of trialists.

CHORLEY:
First-half team lost 2-0, second-half team won 3-0. Chorley had a mon sent off at 2-0.
First half: Alnwick; Little, Wheater, Dervite, Lonsdale; Buckley, Perry, Karacan, King; Madine, Le Fondre
Second half: Howard; Darby, Brockbank, Beevers, Taylor; White, Vela, Pratley, C Taylor; Hall, Trialist (Tabakovic).
Goals: young defender Harry Brockbank got two, either side of young winger Ryan White.

ARBROATH:
(0-60m, 4-4-2 diamond): Howard (off at HT); Little, Dervite, Brockbank, Lonsdale; Earing; C.Taylor, King; Le Fondre (c); Hall, Tabakovic.
(60-90m, 4-2-3-1): Alnwick (on at HT); Darby, Wheater, Beevers, A.Taylor; Karacan, Pratley (c); White, Vela, Buckley; Madine.
Goals: Le Fondre 32 (p) 1-0, Doris 33 (p) 1-1, Oggie 52 (og) 2-1

DUNDEE
0-60: Alnwick (Howard 45); Darby, Wheater, Beevers, A. Taylor; Karacan, Pratley; Ameobi (C. Taylor 45), Vela, Buckley; Madine.
60-90: Howard; Little, Dervite, Brockbank, Lonsdale; White, King, Derik, C.Taylor; Le Fondre, Tabakovic.
(I'm assuming more of a 4-4-2 with the second team, although it sounds like we were just defending anyway.)

FYLDE
0-45 (3-5-2): Howard; Beevers, Wheater, Brockbank; Little, Perry, Pratley, King, C.Taylor; Madine, Le Fondre.
46-90 (3-5-2): Alnwick; Dervite, Derik, Bruce; Darby, Karacan (Earing 80), Buckley, Vela, A.Taylor; Ameobi, Armstrong.

ATHERTON COLLS
Amos, Shackleford, Percival, Bainbridge, Syme, Wright, Earing, Nabil, Woods, Walliau, Hall
Subs: Turner, Hadyi, White, Lonsdale, Fearnley

FLEETWOOD
(3-4-3): Howard; Dervite (Derik 83), Wheater, Beevers; Darby, Karacan, Vela, Taylor; Ameobi (Le Fondre 62), Madine (Pratley 78), Buckley (Armstrong 62). Not used: Alnwick, Little, C Taylor, Bruce, King.

STOCKPORT
3-5-2: Ben Alnwick; Alex Bruce (T), Alex Perry, Robert Atkinson (T); Mark Little, Derik (Jack Earing 75), Darren Pratley, Jeff King, Chris Taylor; Adam Armstrong (Connor Hall 60), Sammy Ameobi (Ryan White 75).
Unused subs: Jake Turner, Cole Lonsdale, plus four more trialists:
• Liam Edwards (2/10/96, ex Stoke U23 defender)
• Michael Atkinson (13/07/98, midfielder, twin of starter Robert; both have been on Basingstoke Town’s books)
• Anthony Wright (10/10/97, ex-Forest and Fulham winger; US-born with British dad)
• Zach Hadji (winger, son of ex-Cov/Villa winger Mustapha)

FC UNITED
Turner, Lonsdale, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Hall, Trialist, Trialist.

STOKE
3-5-2: Howard, Dervite, Wheater, Beevers, Darby, Vela, Karacan, Pratley, Andrew Taylor, Madine, Le Fondre.

Secondly, Pritchard and Johnson need to be nearer the first team because they're nearer 23. Pritch turns 22 in September, Johnson 21 in October.

These aren't abstract concerns: there's a threshold for being 'overage' at U23 level. This season, clubs are only allowed to field three outfield players over the age of 23, or born before 1 January 1995. As you can see from below, some are a lot nearer that than others. Pritch has two seasons left before he's overage, Johnson three, Connor Hall and Duke-McKenna six. Not all players mature at the same rate but with a couple of seasons left you need to be proving you can play first-team football, either for your host club or someone you sell on to.

You're out by two years on Hall's date of birth. He was born in 98.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:41 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:35 am
So he is - ta. So he has just the four seasons before he's overage.

Meantime, 28-year-old French winger/No.10 on trial.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... oussa-sao/

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:14 am

On the Teixera deal... Iles has just said in this thread that Porto* would take "lower" than the 300,000 Euros they paid Liverpool for him, according to Portuguese press. Surely even Uncle Ken can see that's got to be value?
*Do we know yet if he is still a Porto player, or if Braga took him on permanently (I don't undertsnad why they would, just to immediately flog him for a loss?!). MI's referring to "his club" and "they" this morning. Reckon he doesn't know either. :lol:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:25 am

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:41 am
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:35 am
So he is - ta. So he has just the four seasons before he's overage.

Meantime, 28-year-old French winger/No.10 on trial.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... oussa-sao/
Whilst he's been in Ligue 2 rather than Ligue 1, he's played for two clubs with impressive coaching set-ups and who constantly produce talent. Not seen him play, that I'm aware of, but may well be a decent player if he's gone through those clubs.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:37 am

Moussa Sao 28, 6ft 1in, worth a punt. Right age, right price, good height...

Watching his highlights you can tell he's a futsal player. Got a good longshot on him... Must be our new tactic, Oz, Ameobi, Garner, Joao and Sao all outside the box peppering it with long shots getting our woeful shots per game stat up.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:58 am

I am intrigued as to how Parky is going to play next season. If we do sign Teixeira or even CYL, and Garner up front we do not have a target striker. We would have lots of exciting technical ability and potentially lots of goals in the side, but no one we can knock it long at.

How do we get the ball into the attacking players? None of Wheavers, Lowe or Vela are great passers of the ball so it is hard to imagine us becoming a side that passes it short from one end to the other. But we have no one to knock it long to. And Parky has always played a style of football during his time at Bradford and here that involved knocking it long to a big guy up front. There will be more signings and it will become clearer, but at the moment I am slightly concerned but intrigued as to how Parky will get us playing.