Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:52 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:08 pm
Iles is reporting that Sam Walker, who we had on trial, has been signed by Reading.
Feels like we messed up here...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:34 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:52 pm

Feels like we messed up here...
It does, yes.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm

The trialist on the bench is Louis Nganioni, formerly of Lyon's youth side. Has been on trial in the US and Scotland and failed to earn a contract. Was highly regarded as a kid but never kicked on and is now 23.

He was developed by Lyon, so will be technically sound. Also a good athlete. The fact he's not earned a contract suggests the issues are there, though.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:29 pm

Riviman wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:36 pm
https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2018/07/2 ... -link.html

No Chungy return then as he can't get a work permit.
Would have loved to have seen him back.

Nice one again Roy Hodgson.

You fvuking cnut. Ahem.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Nganioni doesn't fill me with confidence either. He has some great attributes (power, pace, technical ability), but he's never matured as a player and he's failed to make the grade on trial in MLS and at Dundee. Having a look doesn't hurt, but if that's all it is it probably means we don't have a target nearing completion for a really important position. I like Taylor, but he's just not good enough over a season.

There are some good players out there, but time is wasting.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:00 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 pm
Nganioni doesn't fill me with confidence either. He has some great attributes (power, pace, technical ability), but he's never matured as a player and he's failed to make the grade on trial in MLS and at Dundee. Having a look doesn't hurt, but if that's all it is it probably means we don't have a target nearing completion for a really important position. I like Taylor, but he's just not good enough over a season.

It feels like the wheels are falling off now. Walker walking, Guileless thrashing, Milligan no-showing, Beevers scotching...
Only one theory unifies this mess: Emperor Ken has no clothes/cash in hand and has been running a confidence game on us as I've long suspected. Too many have come through the door and turned to smoke to be otherwise.
Last edited by mullayo on Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:02 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Uhh Ghost, you're not supposed to slag them off until I talk them up. It's time-honoured & traditional that way.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:04 am

Jakerbeef wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:29 pm
Riviman wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:36 pm
https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2018/07/2 ... -link.html

No Chungy return then as he can't get a work permit.
Would have loved to have seen him back.

Nice one again Roy Hodgson.

You fvuking cnut. Ahem.
I say we get him a dodgy fake mustache, call him Charlie and play him anyway.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:28 am

10 days out from our first loss and we have 18 players

1GK: Alnwick,
3CB: Wheater, Beevers, Wilson
3RB: Olki, Little, Darby,
1LB: Taylor, Wilson
2DM: Lowe, Vela,Wilson
1AM: Oztumer,
2RW: SAmeobi, Noone
2LW: Wildschut, Buckley,
3ST: Donaldson, ALF, Conor Hall,

There's an argument that Pritchard's physical enough to play. As there is an argument that Wilson is quick enough. Turner is on loan someone said. When Beevers buggers off we'll have 17 supposed Championship level players.
We have one loan already and are probably going to need four more. Always said it's going to come down to loans. Imagine if we didn't have Wildschut?
Last edited by mullayo on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:20 am

A GK curveball certainly seems to have been thrown at us last night. With Amos already away and the Turner loan presumably in the works for a week or more, you've got to think Walker signing was seen as a formality.

Clearly not. :(

I Trust PP/DL to do what's right by Turner, and if that means game time in a lower league over the Academy or understudying Alnwick, then I'm not going to argue. Tier 7 does feel low, tho - even at his age and level of experience. Hey ho. What's Aiden Davison doing these days?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:52 am

Let's stop deluding ourselves and start identifying legit loan prospects?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:04 am

Heard from a more than decent source last night - Parky getting frustrated over Wyke. He wants to add him in now. Ken wants to wait as long in the window as possible as he thinks Bradford will reduce the price.

The basic package isn't an issue and is broadly agreed with us and Sunderland that it will be worth around 1M with clauses and bonuses etc. However, the basic fee is around £700K. Bradford want it in full, Ken only wants to pay half up front.

Sounds like there is considerable tension behind the scenes. Parky clearly feeling its going to be a repeat of January where he's left without a striker after late attempts to sign Wyke don't materialise. Apparently the backup deal to Wyke is a loan of a player Parky isn't too fussed by! I'm guessing that is Garner.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:04 am
Heard from a more than decent source last night - Parky getting frustrated over Wyke. He wants to add him in now. Ken wants to wait as long in the window as possible as he thinks Bradford will reduce the price.

The basic package isn't an issue and is broadly agreed with us and Sunderland that it will be worth around 1M with clauses and bonuses etc. However, the basic fee is around £700K. Bradford want it in full, Ken only wants to pay half up front.

Sounds like there is considerable tension behind the scenes. Parky clearly feeling its going to be a repeat of January where he's left without a striker after late attempts to sign Wyke don't materialise. Apparently the backup deal to Wyke is a loan of a player Parky isn't too fussed by! I'm guessing that is Garner.
I suspect Ken would love to miss out on Wyke and save the money. I think we will end up with Victor Anichebe.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:27 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I suspect Ken would love to miss out on Wyke and save the money. I think we will end up with Victor Anichebe.
Is he fit? He'd be a better option than Wyke if he is!

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm guessing that's why we're not signing the Walkers, Myhills,Milligans, Rodwells, Ekpans,Irelands,ec. Ken gets 'em in and keeps stringing them along at training until the window is closing and they've got nowhere else to go and he can snaffle them up cheap.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:27 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Don't know. We were linked with him in February. Still only 30, last played in China in 2017. I have felt all along he is the kind of player Ken would like Parky to sign. He doesn't score many goals, nowhere near as good as Wyke imho. Wyke is a real bargain at £700k-£1m imho, huge potential for selling on at a big profit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:48 am

mullayo wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:45 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm guessing that's why we're not signing the Walkers, Myhills,Milligans, Rodwells, Ekpans,Irelands,ec. Ken gets 'em in and keeps stringing them along at training until the window is closing and they've got nowhere else to go and he can snaffle them up cheap.
From what I've heard we're not signing some of those mainly because Parky doesn't want them.

The inference I got was that he's having players foisted on him in training that he's not overly keen on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:53 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:48 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:27 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Don't know. We were linked with him in February. Still only 30, last played in China in 2017. I have felt all along he is the kind of player Ken would like Parky to sign. He doesn't score many goals, nowhere near as good as Wyke imho. Wyke is a real bargain at £700k-£1m imho, huge potential for selling on at a big profit.
Not sure there. I mean Wyke is unproven at this level. Anichebe played premiership football all his career in this country. You can't really compare. I think Anichebe's game is a better fit for us, but no idea on his physical condition. Wyke is a gamble. Personally I don't see the fit. He's not a target or all that mobile. The gamble is on him scoring goals. But who knows at this level in a team that won't create as much as he's used to?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:48 am
mullayo wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:45 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

From what I've heard we're not signing some of those mainly because Parky doesn't want them.

The inference I got was that he's having players foisted on him in training that he's not overly keen on.
Yeah I got that feeling too. Damned with faint praise they've been.
Ken: "But they're free? And played in the Premiership only six years ago... They got nowhere else to go...

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:11 am

Yep Wyke is a gamble but aren't all transfers? I mean he has scored 23 in 53 at the top end of L1. If he scores around 1 in 3 for us and plays 35-40 games, he will score 11-13 goals, and most likely a few assists. His value would soar if he did that. He is 25 and coming into his peak years, and Parky has a habit of getting the most of strikers (Hanson, Madine). Given Eisa just went for £1.5m after a good season in L2, £700k plus add ons for Wyke seems as decent a gamble as it gets..