Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Wht's Alf up to these days; Is he still with Mumbai? He apparently has a relation on the Whites squad currently?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun May 09, 2021 6:01 pm

I’m of the mind we should look forward, not back now. Some players who could do a job at L1 in that list but I’m not pining for anyone (Ameobi would be excellent mind).

Anyway I reckon:
GK - we need one who can at least challenge Gilks - he’s been immense since coming in but he wanted to retire! Someone at the younger end would be ideal.
RB - Jones wants competition. I’m not as sold on him as others, I’m not sure he has it in him to be a competent attacking full back above this level.
LB - I’d be happy with either John or Jackson starting. I don’t think either is an understudy- Jackson is ready to play regularly for someone at L1/2 I think. Be interested to see if Huddersfield want to sell as I think he has one year left on hi contract. John we all know about.
CB - Baps has another year in him. Priority signing. Plus good cover. Think Delaney will go and if we can sell Greenidge he will as well.
Wide men - Isgrove done enough to be signed on. Dapo we will try to sign...but it’s the position I think we could look to do better on. Maybe a first team LW plus Dapo who can play across the front line anyway. Arthur it’s a goodbye to, and Delf as well who is the oddest player from this season. Great when we were shite and shite when we were great.
CF - need another to at least challenge Doyle. A stronger one who is better in the air ideally. Maybe that lad from FGR...they’ll do sign now pay later right?
Rest is squad / cover.

Be nice to get some of the young lads game time next season, loans for Senior, Darcy and Graham?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 09, 2021 6:32 pm

If we're talking about bringing former payers back in then I'd like us to see what's going on / been happening with that wee Irish boy who went to Celtic, and as far as I know, is currently festering at Easter Road. (Sorry, I'm shite with players names).
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 6:39 pm

BWFCi - fair enough.

HG – I'd give Baps another year but we need a rival who becomes a replacement.

Tango - Adam Le Fondre signed a new 2.5yr contract with Sydney FC last month. Well done to his agent, considering Alf turns 35 this year.

Bruce - take it you mean Luca Connell. In March, he was loaned to Queen's Park.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 pm

Politic coming back will be like a major summer signing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 6:43 pm

Bruce – Connell has 3 goals and 5 assists in 11 games for QP, although that's the Scottish fourth tier so it's hardly comparable to England's third. Hasn't played a minute for Celtic in his two seasons there. Turned 20 last month.

Bertie - I hope Dennis is good, but I wouldn't describe him as marquee – not least to keep expectations down. Let's hope he continues to show the promise he did, but let's also hope our first XI is far better than it was last time we slid through the third tier.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sun May 09, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun May 09, 2021 6:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:32 pm
If we're talking about bringing former payers back in then I'd like us to see what's going on / been happening with that wee Irish boy who went to Celtic, and as far as I know, is currently festering at Easter Road. (Sorry, I'm shite with players names).
Luca Connel. What a waste. Crying shame - should have gone to a championship team.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun May 09, 2021 6:45 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 pm
Politic coming back will be like a major summer signing.
Had forgotten about Politic. He’s another who can play a couple of positions in the front line.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun May 09, 2021 6:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:59 pm
Wht's Alf up to these days; Is he still with Mumbai? He apparently has a relation on the Whites squad currently?
Yes, if I remember correctly it’s his nephew - a lad called Kian Le Fondre who plays for our u18s as a CM. He was on the bench for our EFL Trophy game v Shrewsbury back at the start of October.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 09, 2021 6:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:39 pm

That's the lad. Thanks for the update. Clearly things haven't worked out up there. Have we any idea what or why?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 7:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:54 pm
That's the lad. Thanks for the update. Clearly things haven't worked out up there. Have we any idea what or why?
I haven't. I wish him well and maybe his QP loan can send him back in the right direction. Whether that's us is hard to tell - as I say, huge chasm between Scots Div 4 and Eng Div 3.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 09, 2021 7:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Dunno, but can we sell 'em Andranik next? :-)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun May 09, 2021 7:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Could have signed for Bielsa, ended up in Lennon’s reserves. Long road back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 09, 2021 7:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

I’d have a guess as he was a kid who’d looked good for a small part of a season in a poor side went to a big club far too soon and it’s not worked out. Same with Zach Clough too. These lads need to play every week at a level they can learn the craft from. Instead get their big move and are never the player they might have been. Also often they are signed before really anyone knows if they can cut it. One thing bursting onto the scene another sustaining it year in year our.

Who knows where these lads would be if they’d stayed at Bolton and played more football. In fairness both were sold for money the club needed and I’d not blame either. But generally in football this poaching of kids before they’ve properly established themselves ruins careers that could have been decent.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun May 09, 2021 7:43 pm

Zach Clough! Now there's a name that the BN comments section will be clamouring for us to re-sign. No thanks, that ship sailed long ago. Ameobi could be a strange one. We all probably think he's out of our league but if Forest decide to get rid he may well prefer to go somewhere he knows and somewhere he'll get a warm reception so I wouldn't rule us out. Could we afford him? That depends on Sharon and Co. and how much they want to spend.

Another signing for me would be to bring Kioso back to the club if possible. Another one who I reckon would be happy to return to a club that he knows and where he'd get a warm welcome.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 09, 2021 8:54 pm

Sun May 09, 2021 7:21 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I haven't. I wish him well and maybe his QP loan can send him back in the right direction. Whether that's us is hard to tell - as I say, huge chasm between Scots Div 4 and Eng Div 3.
There is; however, he only got the gig up there in the first place after proving, albeit briefly, to be a cut above Div 3 level when at our place. I'd love to think that that player's still in there somewhere and waiting to be coaxed back out.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 09, 2021 9:22 pm

Football has changed greatly. I think as time goes on more and more, especially in these lower leagues we need players who can play in a team/system, as opposed to individual magicians. More than anything, we need players who can score goals and kill games off.. We've surely had enough single goal wins after re-creating The Alamo for the last twenty minutes this season to prove that. Going up a level is going to make it tougher still.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun May 09, 2021 9:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:01 pm
I’m of the mind we should look forward, not back now. Some players who could do a job at L1 in that list but I’m not pining for anyone (Ameobi would be excellent mind).
Ameobi certainly has the quality but has he got the work rate? I'd reckon Isgrove is miles better at winning the ball back in the final third but nowhere near as good attacking.
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:01 pm
Anyway I reckon:
GK - we need one who can at least challenge Gilks - he’s been immense since coming in but he wanted to retire! Someone at the younger end would be ideal.
RB - Jones wants competition. I’m not as sold on him as others, I’m not sure he has it in him to be a competent attacking full back above this level.
LB - I’d be happy with either John or Jackson starting. I don’t think either is an understudy- Jackson is ready to play regularly for someone at L1/2 I think. Be interested to see if Huddersfield want to sell as I think he has one year left on hi contract. John we all know about.
CB - Baps has another year in him. Priority signing. Plus good cover. Think Delaney will go and if we can sell Greenidge he will as well.
Wide men - Isgrove done enough to be signed on. Dapo we will try to sign...but it’s the position I think we could look to do better on. Maybe a first team LW plus Dapo who can play across the front line anyway. Arthur it’s a goodbye to, and Delf as well who is the oddest player from this season. Great when we were shite and shite when we were great.
CF - need another to at least challenge Doyle. A stronger one who is better in the air ideally. Maybe that lad from FGR...they’ll do sign now pay later right?
Rest is squad / cover.

Be nice to get some of the young lads game time next season, loans for Senior, Darcy and Graham?
Gilks, I suspect was only likely to retire due to having diminished options. I didn't manage to spot Billy Crellin in the end of season celebrations so its as we all expected. I reckon Gilks will get another season as number #1 and get ousted by the incoming number 1 that he's trained up.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 pm

I think Connell's future is brighter than it seems. He made his debut for the Republic or Ireland's under-21 team in March, which wouldn't have happened if he were thought as being no better than the standard of Scotland's fourth tier.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 11:11 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 pm
I think Connell's future is brighter than it seems. He made his debut for the Republic or Ireland's under-21 team in March, which wouldn't have happened if he were thought as being no better than the standard of Scotland's fourth tier.
Aye, possibly. But then, in the latest squad there were 10 players younger than him, including ones playing for Scunthorpe and Rochdale, so it's hardly like he's being fast-tracked.

As I say I bear him no ill-will and his 3 goals and 5 assists in 11 games suggest he's taken well to Queen's Park. Far from a write-off, but he's 20 now, not the wet-eared prodigy he was, so it's time for him to kick on, and he chose to do that far away from us.