A Challenge, but not the University one. Away to Oxford, Sat Apr 15th 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Challenge, but not the University one. Away to Oxford, Sat Apr 15th 3-0'clock.

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:57 am

From memory, that looked like a fairly normal night in Maryport in the 80's/90's...But seriously, as much as I wouldn't want to see him dismissed from a footballing standpoint, it sort of says all the wrong things from a "brand" standpoint, had we been midtable with nowt to play for and they didn't put playing football at the top of most things, I suspect some would be taking a different view.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: A Challenge, but not the University one. Away to Oxford, Sat Apr 15th 3-0'clock.

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:09 am

Problem for the club is that it, and especially that irritating CEO, has put itself on a moral pedestal. Also he clearly told a pack of lies resulting in a statement that makes the club look very silly at best, or as revictimising the doorman at worst.
Of course he deserves a second chance generally, but should it be at the club he has embarrassed and lied to?
If he'd been sacked elsewhere and was available if be fine with signing him. As it stands I think he should be punished by BWFC. Put it this way, if you're Sharon watching that footage and then looking back at whatever he told her after it happened, you'd be fecking furious at being taken for a mug.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:13 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:09 am
Problem for the club is that it, and especially that irritating CEO, has put itself on a moral pedestal. Also he clearly told a pack of lies resulting in a statement that makes the club look very silly at best, or as revictimising the doorman at worst.
Of course he deserves a second chance generally, but should it be at the club he has embarrassed and lied to?
If he'd been sacked elsewhere and was available if be fine with signing him. As it stands I think he should be punished by BWFC. Put it this way, if you're Sharon watching that footage and then looking back at whatever he told her after it happened, you'd be fecking furious at being taken for a mug.
Yeah that’s probably the biggest issue.

On the other hand Mane punched a team mate and supposedly bust his lip at Bayern this week. If Dempsey has to be sacked then so does Mane surely? Attacking a colleague is instant sacking.

Same with Andy Todd yet we had to watch him play after that.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:19 am

I don't think they will or should sack him, but also don't think the 'courts have dealt with it, crack on' line works either.
Seems to have motivated him to make himself as indispensable as possible though.
My feeling is maximum fine, apology from club for erroneous statement and he has to miss a few games. Would be very surprised to see him in the squad for this game.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:13 am
LeverEnd wrote:

On the other hand Mane punched a team mate and supposedly bust his lip at Bayern this week. If Dempsey has to be sacked then so does Mane surely? Attacking a colleague is instant sacking.

Yeah but Andy Todd had credit in the bank for punching Collymore, so...
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:36 am

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:20 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:13 am
LeverEnd wrote:

Yeah but Andy Todd had credit in the bank for punching Collymore, so...
Attacking someone on the pitch is even worse though……if you are thinking about the clubs reputation.

And whilst I know you are joking the point is…if Dempsey is sacked and another player then loses it on the pitch and hits someone I don’t see how the club could continue to employ that player. You’ve got to be careful on what precedents you set.

But for me they need to make clear they will discipline internally, support rehabilitation and offer whatever they can but there are no more chances. We cannot have this happen again.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:49 am

Some ludicrous comparisons being made, to justify a position that doesn't inhibit our chances...

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:58 pm

The CCTV clip is being shown on local news outlets and is all over social media, so I’d say that’s pretty damning to the clubs reputation. Everyone now knows who he is, who he represents and what he’s done.

We’re certainly taking our time in announcing what to do. I’d have thought we’d have already made a decision ready to release upon the outcome of yesterday, especially as it’s a month since he was found guilty.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:49 am
Some ludicrous comparisons being made, to justify a position that doesn't inhibit our chances...
Agree, but this is a "here and now" situation and outside football and may set a future precedent because of general media hoo-ha. Sooner it dies down the better for all concerned.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:49 am
Eh? I don’t football enters into this.

If someone makes a mistake like this and is dealt with what good does losing their job also make? Does it make them more likely to rehabilitate or less?

It’s also a genuine question as to where it ends. We’ve employed players historically who have done similar. Players who’ve also been tagged historically. We had a manager who ended up in a similar position too. We had as has recently be noted a player who did worse…much worse…and wasn’t sacked.

We’ve got a manager now with a supposedly chequered past - involving his actual job - allegedly.

I don’t know what the club will do but I don’t think football enters into it. They could suspend him for two months as a disciplinary action. He’s miss the end of this season. And then decide what to do with him.

I don’t know. I still come back to what good does it do him or his chances of rehabilitation to be sacked? And if it’s about protecting the clubs reputation where does the line for that sit?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:23 pm

I think the suggestion being made is that people's judgement is being clouded by his importance to our team.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:29 pm

The CCTV footage is only telling part of the events. It would be useful to see footage of what went on outside beforehand when Dempsey got knocked out - apparently the lad who punched / hit him went into the labour club which is why the Dempsey's went there after him. Was the bouncer involved in some way outside ?, was he protecting the lad or a friend of the lad who punched Dempsey ?(hence closing the front door to stop the Dempsey's getting in). The bouncer had KD by the throat.

Dempsey is guilty as charged and has received his sentence & will no doubt regret it for the rest of his life, however those (in the minority) asking for additional action by the club are judging him by the CCTV footage only, not knowing the full chain of events that went on previously. I'm not condoning what he did at all, he was wrong to do what he did, but was obviously very angry with what had happened outside. What's happened to the lad who knocked KD out, I assume he's got away with it as it wasn't captured on CCTV.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:40 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:23 pm
I think the suggestion being made is that people's judgement is being clouded by his importance to our team.
Not me! He’s had a few decent games but more bang average ones. Hes one I’ve got a question mark over as to whether he needs upgrading anyway in the summer.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:44 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:40 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Not me! He’s had a few decent games but more bang average ones. Hes one I’ve got a question mark over as to whether he needs upgrading anyway in the summer.
One namely being the EFL Trophy final. I would say to perform like that with this all going on in the background is admirable. He was guilty and has been handed a punishment. He will serve this punishment and if the club decides that's enough then we all have to accept it.

edit:

Can't believe my timing. https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2023/april/club-statement/

"Following the verdict from a court case involving midfielder Kyle Dempsey, Bolton Wanderers FC has released the following statement:

As a Club, we do not condone Kyle’s actions and have reminded Kyle of his responsibilities as a player for Bolton Wanderers.

Kyle has apologised for his actions and the impact they have had, and we as a Club will continue to support Kyle going forward on and off the pitch.

Regarding the curfew imposed, Kyle is permitted under the terms of the sentence to work beyond the hours stipulated and he will continue to be available for selection.

​With the case having reached a conclusion in the court of law, we now consider the matter closed and the Club will not make any further comment."

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:56 pm

Okay, I'll become the villain here. I'm forced to post this because in the world of club life it's a nothing. But for C.C.T.V and the fact that Dempsey is a local celebrity, it wouldn't have even have made chip-shop wrappings. Media madness and internet desires to get celebrity status have blown the whole thing out of proportion. If you've never seen such incidents happen, you've led a pretty sheltered life. Years back I did a spell or two on club doors and if a night went by without some drunken idiot kicking off, it was Bolton holiday fortnight. Worse will most likely happen this weekend with no footballers involved. Thankfully, the club seems to have put it to bed. Let's play football.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:57 pm

The club have now responded - time to let it go & move on as the club have and get behind the lad.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:05 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
That's the one.

As for understanding the full set of events etc. I assume the judge took those into consideration. On the "comparison events," which I suspect people also don't know full stories, was anyone arrested, charged and who was sentenced to serve suspended time?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:11 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:57 pm
The club have now responded - time to let it go & move on as the club have and get behind the lad.
Quite right, that's all we can do. I'm not going to start boycotting or anything but they can feck off with their moral high ground on betting and fan behaviour from now on.
Respect lost for me that they didn't acknowledge what the victim said about the statement they made adding insult to injury and make some sort of apology.

Anyway, like you said...

Oxford are shite and haven't won for 14 games. Win this and with the three game home run I'm thinking we're a very strong bet for another tilt at Wembley.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:17 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:57 pm
Yup.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:05 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
That's the one.

As for understanding the full set of events etc. I assume the judge took those into consideration. On the "comparison events," which I suspect people also don't know full stories, was anyone arrested, charged and who was sentenced to serve suspended time?
My judgment isn’t at all clouded by what he offers as a player. I’d have absolutely been supportive if they’d suspended him from playing for a while.

The conviction is what you think distinguishes it. But wasn’t Madine jailed and we signed him after that?

The club also supporter Tofting when he was sentenced to prison time (but allowed to delay it iirc) for a similar incident to Dempseys.