Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 12, 2023 10:38 am

Defender Charlie Raglan is among seven players released by CHELTENHAM. The 30-year-old has mutually agreed to leave on a free transfer after joining the club in 2019. Centre-back Raglan made more than 160 appearances for the Robins after joining from Oxford United, including 30 in all competitions this season.

Forwards Charlie Brown, Callum Ebanks and Christian Norton, goalkeeper Shaun MacDonald and midfielders Dylan Barkers and Zac Guinan have also been released.

Liam Sercombe, Ryan Broom, Adulai Sambu, Max Harris and Ryan Jackson have all been offered new contracts.

Discussions remain ongoing with Grant Horton and Reece Hutchinson, who are both on loan at clubs in Ireland where the league is ongoing, regarding their contracts.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri May 12, 2023 1:33 pm

I’ve always thought Ryan Broom could be a good option for us at CAM (if we don’t get promoted). Wouldn’t demand the world in terms of wages, decent technically and works hard off the ball. I think we could do a lot worse.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 12, 2023 2:57 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:33 pm
I’ve always thought Ryan Broom could be a good option for us at CAM (if we don’t get promoted). Wouldn’t demand the world in terms of wages, decent technically and works hard off the ball. I think we could do a lot worse.
That's the lad that was at Plymouth. Yeah, seemed dependable - but they moved on and improved without him. Think Plymouth played him at RWB some of the time, so that adaptability would be useful. As would his surname, for headline writers.

Cheltenham have offered him terms but he doesn't have to accept. That's why I'm adding in the "offered terms" lads - doesn't mean they'll stay.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 12, 2023 3:43 pm

WIGAN
Clearly things are amiss up the road, with wages going unpaid and the chairman a hate figure. God knows how that will all end up but here's the contractual situation over there, as far as I can work out.

Permanent contracts lapsing in summer:
Ryan Nyambe (RB/CB, 25)
Jordan Cousins (CM, 29)
Max Power (CM, 29)
Will Keane (CF, 30)
Tendayi Darikwa (RB, 31)
Curtis Tilt (CB, 31)
Steven Caulker (CB, 31)
Joe Bennett (LB, 33)
Ben Amos (GK, 33)
Jamie Jones (GK, 34)
James McClean (Tw@t, 34)

The name that jumps out of there is Will Keane, who followed up last season's 26 league goals with a dozen in a relegated team; he'll get offers. So will Max Power, for whom age shall not either the comedy of his name – he's on 300 League One games and 88 Champo, which is some rate for someone who doesn't turn 30 till July.

Ryan Nyambe - Namibia-born, Manchester-raised, Blackburn-academied, surprisingly walked out on Rovers last summer - is a six-foot right-sided defender. Not something we desperately need, although 186 Champo games in the tank ain't bad for a 25-year-old, and he seems at home round here. But would we be better for him than him for us?

Wigan will lose their loanees, an eclectic supermarket sweep of names from the familiar – Martin Kelly (RB, 33), Ashley Fletcher (CF, 27) – through the forgot-about-him (Danel Sinani, winger, 26) and the token big-club loanees (Arsenal CB Omar Rekik, 21, and club mate Miguel Azeez, 20) and, er, Christ Tiehi from Slovan Liberec.

The other question is whether they will be in enough financial poop to lose longer-contracted players. They have Josh Magennis, Tom Naylor, Charlie Wyke, Jason Kerr, Tom Pearce and Scott Smith with a year's terms left, plus Jack Whatmough, Anthony Scully and Callum Lang tied down till 2025 and Thelo Aasgaard to 2026. Will they all be around? Who knows?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 12, 2023 4:54 pm

Sone big releases from CAMBRIDGE - including keeper Dimitar Mitov, mentioned here before.
This season's top scorer Sam Smith is among nine players being released by League One Cambridge United. Smith, 25, scored 14 goals this term - including in the crucial 2-0 win over Forest Green on the final day which guaranteed survival in the third tier. Liam O'Neil, Dimitar Mitov, Harvey Knibbs, Joe Ironside, Shilow Tracey, Lloyd Jones, Ben Worman and George Williams are also leaving.

Ryan Bennett, Harrison Dunk, Paul Digby, George Thomas and Fejiri Okenabirhie have been offered new contracts.

Five of the departing players have made more than 100 appearances for Cambridge, with O'Neil the longest serving having joined the U's before the 2016-17 season. Mitov has spent the past five seasons as the club's number one goalkeeper, while Smith, who also had a season-long loan with Cambridge in 2019-20, scored in seven of the last nine games of the campaign to help the U's beat the drop.
Couple of days ago, Cambridge coach Mark Bonner promised "a summer of change" and it sure looks that way. Purely numerically, they've released their squad numbers 1, 2, 6, 8, 9 and 10, and they're waiting on numbers 4 and 11 (Digby and Dunk) accepting terms.

Mitov I've mentioned before - has a reputation as an impressive shot-stopper, though his stats this season aren't that good.

Sam Smith is a six-foot Mancunian - he was on United's books to age 16, although he's spent his pro career down south and it didn't ignite until he joined Cambridge, where he scored 15 in 46 then 13 in 45 League One games. Just turned 25, and clearly he's had a tickle from elsewhere.

Ironside's another displaced northern striker, but less of a catch - 30 in autumn and, although he scored 14 in each of the previous two seasons (including in the Fourth when we were), he only managed 3 in 46 this time.

Lloyd Jones I've mention in previous windows - former Liverpool centre-back, 6ft3, later at Luton and Northampton. I fancied us signing him two summers ago, but he went to Cambridge instead; he's 28 in autumn so I think the chances may have waned, especially with us being well-stocked.

Of the players pondering contracts, Paul Digby (28) might just be worth a ponder. A six-foot-four Sheffielder, he can play defensive midfield or centre-back, with coach Bonner hailing his "character, physical presence and aggression... His leadership is vital to us and he has a resilience that drives standards. Paul organises and encourages people superbly, he breaks up play well and has good understanding defensively." Key question then is whether he's better than MJ, who's nine months younger. I'm guessing not, but I don't run a stats department...

-----
EXETER forward Jevani Brown is one of three first-team players being released by the League One club. Brown, 28, scored 14 goals and had nine assists before being suspended in early February after being charged with assault and has not played since. Also leaving the club are goalkeeper Jamal Blackman and homegrown left-back Jack Sparkes.

The club are in talks with four more out-of-contract players. Academy graduates Josh Key and Archie Collins are yet to agree new deals, while talks are ongoing with former Scotland midfielder Kevin McDonald. The club are also talking to veteran defender Jonathan Grounds over a player-coach role.
Jevani Brown was having a good season till he was collared, but he's 29 in autumn and no other league season has been even close to that level.

Jamal Blackman's the 6ft6in keeper who was on Chelsea's books to age 27; according to FBref his shot-save percentage was the division's 5th-worst (29th from the 34 keepers 'qualifying').

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 12, 2023 6:14 pm

Wigan. We should offer a one year contract to McClean, just to drop him into the B Team. They generally seem to have good words for Aasgaard. I haven't worked out if this is related to the footballer or the place still hasn't moved on from the Vikings.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 12, 2023 11:07 pm

Experienced midfielders Michael Jacobs and Ryan Tunnicliffe are among eight players being released by PORTSMOUTH. First-team defenders Clark Robertson, Kieron Freeman, midfielder Louis Thompson and forward Jayden Reid are also due to leave when their contracts end. Youngsters Alfie Bridgman and Dan Gifford will also depart.

Connor Ogilvie, Josh Oluwayemi and Harry Jewitt-White have had their deals extended. Contract negotiations are ongoing to keep Ronan Curtis and Jay Mingi at Fratton Park.

Loanees Di'Shon Bernard, Owen Dale, Matt Macey, Joe Pigott and Dane Scarlett have all returned to their parent clubs.
Now 30, Ryan Tunnicliffe ís a Heywood-born six-foot central midfielder who started at Man U and has since racked up 256 Champo, 60 League One appearances at Posh, Barnsley, Ipswich, Fulham, Blackburn, Wigan, Millwall, Luton and Pompey. That's a lot of experience. Was brought out of the cold by new coach Mousinho to operate as one of the free 8s in front of the holder, which would make him fit our (current) system – although he's not so much an endless runner as a "drifter into position" (think more Nolan than McAteer).

He's much the likeliest releasee to interest us (and even then probably not hugely). Michael Jacobs (31) is more yer mercurial winger type, racked with injury. He might go back to boyhood club Northampton. Clark Robertson (29) is an injury-ravaged Scottish centre-back, ex of Blackpool and Rotherham; Kieron Freeman's a 31-y-o right-back; Louis Thompson's a League One lifer in defensive midfield; Jayden Reid's an unproven striker.

If there's a name in there that catches my eye, it's Matt Macey. The 6ft7 ex-Arsenal keeper is the only third-tier keeper with a better shot-stopping ratio than Traf. He joined on loan from Luton in January and was part of Pompey's rise up the table; they've been expressing hopes of keeping him, what with Luton having a million keepers (including to-Barnsley loanee Harry Isted, another name I've suggested for us). Macey has a year left on his contract but we'll see what happens with him, us and them.

We might also cast an eye over Di'Shon Bernard, a 6ft2 22-y-o Man U centre-back who expects to leave them this summer. Quick, athletic, composed on the ball, he could be an option at RCB. Not a priority position, perhaps, but if a good one becomes available...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 13, 2023 12:18 am

Presume Magennis has a lawyer on retainer for ripping up contacts. F*ck him.

Ashley Fletcher has to rock up here eventually, doesn't he?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 14, 2023 3:18 pm

Really impressed with Luke Bolton for worthy's mates down the road yesterday. Came through as a RB and playing on the wing for them. Plus he's got the name for it. Another Conor replacement possibility.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 14, 2023 3:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 3:18 pm
Really impressed with Luke Bolton for worthy's mates down the road yesterday. Came through as a RB and playing on the wing for them. Plus he's got the name for it. Another Conor replacement possibility.
City-trained, so Evatt will like that. Shoulda been sent off at ours in the August cup game, by his own manager's admission, for a whack at Dapo – “I think Bolts shouldn’t have been on the pitch anyway, should he? He should have got a second yellow, so I think he was lucky to get away with that. I'm not sure if it was a red. It was a late tackle but I think the lad went for the ball. It was just a bit mistimed.”

Contracted until 2024 so he'd cost money. Harder if they go up. Not sure who I'd like to see go through out of Salford and Stockport - can they both lose, please?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 14, 2023 7:09 pm

I've been stupidly busy recently, but thought I'd dip back in now things are starting to calm down a bit.

What we need to do in the market is fairly simple. Fill the holes left by Traf and (probably) Bradders, add more goals and creativity.

I don't think that's going to prove all that difficult.

We need another striker, but the ones we have will be good next season. Ade has taken time to adapt, but Evatt will put full faith in him next term and he'll score goals for us. Nlundulu is very talented and we clearly like him (the feeling is mutual). What's left is probably a spot for a younger player with resale value. I get that there's a very strong argument to make for a proven scorer, but there are only so many minutes on offer and I think we will back the lads we have in the building with a lot of starts.

Scoring more will come from improving our play around the box - from the midfield and wide centre backs. We saw against Barnsley how important moments of penetration from the wingbacks can be, so more options there will be vital.

We need to put proper investment into at least one attacking midfield option. We need magic there. It's the biggest issue stopping us being a top side at this level.

My own view is that we also need a bit more spark in a wide centre back option. I'd take Bobby Thomas if he's going, but I suspect Barnsley will pick him up. I rate the defenders we have, but it's a position we can do something with to give us a couple of percent extra.

We're a good side and the group will improve into next season just as natural progression. If we can tip the scale in out favour with some decent moves then we'll be fine whatever division we're in - good enough to stay in the Championship or run League One ragged.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 14, 2023 7:30 pm

Regarding the names raised in the thread, there are some very good options in there.

I think it's hard to see Lewis Wing and Kane Wilson rocking up here over the summer, but if they did they'd be massive players for us.

There are a lot of very good goalkeeping options this summer. I'm not remotely worried about replacing Traf. Love him and think he's a terrific player, but if we can't get a good option this summer we never will. The lad we get in has to be someone Evatt thinks can play Premier League football. That's a big ask at any time, but it's doable this summer.

Two young strikers currently playing in weaker leagues have been linked and both are very talented lads. I think that's the direction we'll go in that department and I'd welcome either. I think we were interested in Shayne Lavery, but Blackpool's relegation probably means they'll trigger his contract extension if they haven't already.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Sun May 14, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun May 14, 2023 7:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 7:30 pm
Regarding the names raised in the thread, there are some very good options in there.

I think it's hard to see Lewis Wing and Kane Wilson rocking up here over the summer, but if they did they'd be massive players for us.

There are a lot of very good goalkeeping options this summer. I'm not remotely worried about replacing Traf. Love him and think he's a terrific player, but if we can't get a good option this summer we never will. The lad we get in has to be someone Evatt thinks can play Premier League football. That's a big ask at any time, but it's doable this summer.

Two young strikers currently playing in weaker leagues have been linked and bother are very talented lads. I think that's the direction we'll go in that department and I'd welcome either. I think we were interested in Shayne Lavery, but Blackpool's relegation probably means they'll trigger his contract extension if they haven't already.

Can you give us names?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 14, 2023 8:00 pm

Welcome back Ghost!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 14, 2023 8:39 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 7:51 pm
Can you give us names?
I'm just referring to the lads already mentioned in this thread.

The two young strikers mentioned were Lee Bonis and Zach Robinson.

I think I said before January that my pick for 'keeper in the summer would be Conor Hazard, but quite a few names have been floated on here and there are a few I'd be fine with. Evatt said a while ago that he knew who he wanted in, so you'd hope we'd find out fairly quickly after the close of the season for that position.

As I say, I've been really busy recently so I've not kept on top of things regarding Bolton. I've been to games (Wembley was amazing), but in terms of talking to people about transfers and stuff I've been well out of it. I'm sure you lot are all more clued up than I am right now.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 14, 2023 8:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:00 pm
Welcome back Ghost!
Cheers, DSB. Hope you're well.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun May 14, 2023 8:51 pm

Are people making up names in the hope that some of us fall for it?

Hazard in goal, Broom playing sweeper and Wing on the ... 🤔
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 14, 2023 8:59 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:51 pm

Any further suggestions of that kind and you'll be hearing from my lawyers...Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun May 14, 2023 9:21 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:51 pm

Let's get this guy in.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 14, 2023 9:23 pm

In terms of stuff I've missed, has anything been mooted regarding new contracts and/or the future of players like Sadlier?

I'm coming back in working on the assumption we have just over a dozen players we actually want under contract. Is that still the case?