Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by brommers95 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:30 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:54 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:59 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:09 am
A suggestion from our old mate BWFC Analysis on Twitter (I forget his username on here): Joe Taylor, contracted to Luton Town but currently on loan at Colchester United.

Colchester have another couple of players worth keeping an eye on this window - 20 year old LWB/RWB Jayden Fevrier (I think Ghost is a fan as well) and 22 year old attacking midfielder Noah Chilvers.

Fevrier is the more exciting prospect, signed on a free after being released by West Ham last year, he’s made 22 starts in the league for Colchester this season, scoring two and assisting four. He’s split his time between RWB and LWB this season but is naturally left footed and looks to be more at home on the left. He’s got pace, power, dribbling ability and can whip a mean ball into the box.

Do you think he's ready to make the step up?
Fevrier? Yes, I think he could comfortably play in L1 based on current ability and will likely play in the Championship in not too distant future based on his potential.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:11 pm

Freddie Draper looks like being recalled by Lincoln from his loan at Walsall.

Kid would do absolute bits in an Evatt side. Would love to see him in a White shirt.

I assume Lincoln want to use him for the rest of the season and it'll be interesting to see how he does there.

Absolutely no reason to link him other than I think he'd be fantastic for us. 19, massive, fast, knows where the goal is and will run until his legs fall off. Perfect Evatt striker.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:36 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but if he’s not good enough to be in Lincoln’s team, what makes him good enough to be in ours?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:50 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:36 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but if he’s not good enough to be in Lincoln’s team, what makes him good enough to be in ours?
I'm assuming at the start of the season the Lincoln coaching staff didn't feel he was ready for L1 football (he's only 19 after all), but his great form for Walsall - 10 goals in 20 league games - has shown that he might be ready to be a starting L1 player. For such a young lad, he's been really impressive this season by all accounts and looks like a complete centre forward - quick, physical, technical, ball-striking ability, aerial ability, etc.

I'm sure he's got a lot of recruitment teams tracking him right now.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:56 pm

How much would he go for? Potential to play above league 1?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:19 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:56 pm
How much would he go for? Potential to play above league 1?
When he signed his new deal Lincoln claimed he was worth over £1m, but most believe he can be had for about half that in a structured deal.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:49 pm

Brommer's young friend, Joe Taylor, has (as expected) been recalled by Luton - supposedly to be loaned to a League One side.

Rumour Mill says Posh, but his face would certainly fit here.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:02 pm

Make of it what you will.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:30 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:02 pm
Make of it what you will.

Darragh has previously been, to coin a phrase, full of shit on these matters. However, if Posh aren't going to strengthen that's fantastic news.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:08 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:30 pm
Darragh has previously been, to coin a phrase, full of shit on these matters.
and many others… like when his shiny new football magazine was going to take down FourFourTwo :lol:

It lasted 10 months.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:42 pm

It's going to be a funny ol' January if none of the top sides sign anyone. Plenty are claiming they won't.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:54 pm

Do we go for lower-league punts or rely on loans?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:33 am

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:54 pm
Do we go for lower-league punts or rely on loans?
Your guess is as good as anyone's.

There are quality players at all levels, plus over the sea and up in Scotland.

We'll have an idea of who we want in the summer if we go up and what level of player that looks like. If we can do that now you'd imagine we will. If not and we need a player in it'll be a loan.

That's my guess anyway.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:18 am

First day back at the desk, second day of the window, I'm already checking Twitter* every five minutes.

*Or rather the smoking hole where Twitter used to be.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:18 am
First day back at the desk, second day of the window, I'm already checking Twitter* every five minutes.

*Or rather the smoking hole where Twitter used to be.
One of the blogs is linking us to Mubama (calling him "Mubamba", but never mind) at West Ham.

Watched him play at Daggers in a youth game last season.

He was the stand-out player in the game. Lovely left foot, right mostly for standing on. He's had over 100 minutes for West Ham this season, with one start.

I know the kid wants a loan, but I thought West Ham didn't. No idea what their sourcing is on it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:43 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:18 pm
One of the blogs is linking us to Mubama (calling him "Mubamba", but never mind) at West Ham.

Watched him play at Daggers in a youth game last season.

He was the stand-out player in the game. Lovely left foot, right mostly for standing on. He's had over 100 minutes for West Ham this season, with one start.

I know the kid wants a loan, but I thought West Ham didn't. No idea what their sourcing is on it.
He wants more than that - per the Evnin' Stannit* two days ago he's "out of contract at the end of the season and so far rejecting the club’s offers of a new deal."

Now presumably the club won't enjoy the idea of him running down his contract on loan; they let Dapo do that but they might have higher hopes for Mubaba. But what are they going to do? Moyes might not think the kid's Prem-ready, which is fair; but forcing him to stay and not playing him might be not just emotionally counterproductive but also less informative for them. A loan would give them a more accurate read than leaving him in the Academy leagues.

*Or rather the smoking hole where the Evnin' Stannit used to be

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:07 pm

Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:43 pm
He wants more than that - per the Evnin' Stannit* two days ago he's "out of contract at the end of the season and so far rejecting the club’s offers of a new deal."

Now presumably the club won't enjoy the idea of him running down his contract on loan; they let Dapo do that but they might have higher hopes for Mubaba. But what are they going to do? Moyes might not think the kid's Prem-ready, which is fair; but forcing him to stay and not playing him might be not just emotionally counterproductive but also less informative for them. A loan would give them a more accurate read than leaving him in the Academy leagues.

He wanted a loan in the summer and West Ham wouldn't agree to it unless he signed on, which had his agent spitting nails.

I assumed they had an option. That they don't is really interesting. I'm sure Evatt would love him. Just reading through some reporting now and it seems said agent is now playing hardball.

It'd be a coup for a League One side.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:07 pm
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:43 pm

He wanted a loan in the summer and West Ham wouldn't agree to it unless he signed on, which had his agent spitting nails.

I assumed they had an option. That they don't is really interesting. I'm sure Evatt would love him. Just reading through some reporting now and it seems said agent is now playing hardball.

It'd be a coup for a League One side.
Per The Athletic, Mubama "is entering the final year of the deal he signed in October 2021, which does not include a one-year option. Discussions remain ongoing and the club hope he changes his mind."
Link (£): https://theathletic.com/5013924/2023/10 ... -contract/

His agent's refusal to sign has upset Davie Moyes.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 19620.html

Has been linked with Watford and Derby, although Paul Warne described their chances as "slim to zero".

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:25 pm

Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:16 pm
Has been linked with Watford and Derby, although Paul Warne described their chances as "slim to zero".
If Derby think they have no chance with their budgets that might scupper us.

I've not been following developments with him since the summer, but he's a clear talent. Quick, strong, good movement, wand of a left and a right that *cough* "needs work" *cough*.

He's the sort you'd throw into our forward line to give us a bit of everything. A lefty with a bit of pace, but big enough to play alongside Charles without sacrificing anything.

He's right that he's now far too good to be playing kids football. He needs to play proper footy to kick on.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:38 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:25 pm
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:16 pm
If Derby think they have no chance with their budgets that might scupper us.
Could be Warne downplaying it (or suspecting interest further up the food chain) - but I did also read that the kid's on £4k per week.